post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 01:07 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Advice on Baja

Yup, what Ace said. Last Oct/Nov I spent 30 days driving to Cabo. Camped on remote beaches, solo, only 4 nights in hotels. Fantastic people. Beaches are great. Went through TJ on the way down, and MexiCali on the way back. Worst part of the trip was going through LA. Have a great time. Eat the food! Fish, Enjoy! Go to San Cosme, it's on the way to Agua Verde if you get that far South, say Hi to Julio, nicest people you will ever meet. The Baja Almanac is a must. Also, never had to bribe anybody. Definetly stash your cash, and just keep what you need for the day handy, duh. The water issue is old news, and not an issue in Baja. Can't wait to go back. Planning on it in 2019 October. Locals said the Canadians flood the beaches December, so it will probably be a lot more crowded then when I was there. October, right after hurricane season.
Baja-Almanac.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06764.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	932802   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06788.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	932810  

Alan
- Primer at Imogene Pass 13,114'
2013 TT SE
BMC / Exp-1 Rear Bumper with Swing Arm / PIAA 5190's front, and rear bumpers / King Rear Rem Res W/Ride Cntrl / MT lower links / ICON Front Extended Travel Coil Overs / TC UCA's / SCS F-5 wheels / 285/75R16 Goodyear Duratracs / Shrockworks Front Bumper / Warn 9.5xp / sPOD / Kenwood DNX890HD / Lots of RAAMaudio sound deadening / WickedCAS PODS / Focal PC 165's / Focal IC 690's / Arc Audio Black 10V2 / JL Audio HD900/5 / All Pro HD Sliders and Al IFS Skid Plate / ARB CKMTA12 / Rear SCUBA / Hella Supertones / Dirty Deeds Hi Tuck Tailpipe / FJToymanOffroad Skids / Redline Skids / I seem to have run out of characters...

Last edited by Primer; 09-15-2017 at 01:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 02:49 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)

^^ Yep, that's a man that knows Baja darn well. All this negativity about Baja is BS. But hey, it keeps the timid out of Baja so it's less crowded.

I had a minor accident in Baja about 10 years ago right in front of a cop. I gave the guy I hit 500 pesos for the damage. The cop just smiled and walked back to his post.

My security is minimal. I have a small safe bolted in my truck where my passoort and extra cash stay. I always make sure the cash never gets below what it would take to return to the US. I refresh my cash at ATMs using my credit card. They don't always work and that's one reason my cash stash is kept pretty full. I've often thought about building the bogus wallet but never have.

Crossing the birder late December is a busy time. But each time I've crossed at that same time was quick and easy. Cross early.

Alan "Ace" Brown * Book Cliff Cruisers * Smokey Mtn Cruisers * TLCA #18649 * Overland Certified * BRC *

2008 FJC AT Silver; All-Pro, ARB, BFG, Bud-built, Cobra, Eagle, Expedition One, Garmin, Nitro Gear (4.88), OME, PIAA, Pioneer, Viking, Warn, Yakima, over $18K so far.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Forum Master

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Ace Brown previously said: View Post
^^ Yep, that's a man that knows Baja darn well. All this negativity about Baja is BS. But hey, it keeps the timid out of Baja so it's less crowded.

I had a minor accident in Baja about 10 years ago right in front of a cop. I gave the guy I hit 500 pesos for the damage. The cop just smiled and walked back to his post.

My security is minimal. I have a small safe bolted in my truck where my passport and extra cash stay. I always make sure the cash never gets below what it would take to return to the US. I refresh my cash at ATMs using my credit card. They don't always work and that's one reason my cash stash is kept pretty full. I've often thought about building the bogus wallet but never have.

Crossing the border late December is a busy time. But each time I've crossed at that same time it was quick and easy. Cross early.

My last trip to the arctic circle required that I sleep in my car with my kids because the tent was too risky due to bears and other wild life.
I guess I am going to end up doing it again because too many people in Baja in December and we won't find hotels or they will be too expensive and also so nobody breaks into our car.
No worries !!! LOL.

ALL OEM .. even the oil filter..
MINT 2007 4x4 FJ Cruiser STICK SHIFT - Rear Diff Lock, A-Trac, subwoofer, OEM roof lights and bumper fin fog lights from Dubai, inner/outer door sils from the Far East
81k miles of nothing but pure adventure around North America. All scratches come out immediately. Must remain in showroom condition forever !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage

Living in San Diego I visit Baja about once a month with my FJ. Baja is safe if you use common sense. You don't want to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Here are some tips from my experience.

- According to my Mexican insurance company, Discover Baja, you are more likely to have the truck stolen in San Diego than Baja.

- The truck is safe but the contents are not. Do not leave valuables in sight. You will end up with a broken window.

- Camping is relatively safe South of Ensenada. The beaches and Arroyos are public property and camping is legal. No need to sleep in the car or a RTT.

- Purchase Mexico auto insurance and FMMs (Forma Migratoria Múltiple) for all travelers. They have recently began taking FMM much more seriously.

- Avoid driving at night. The highways are narrow and the truck drivers and busses run at night. Narrow without shoulders or guard rails. I have been traveling Baja since the 70s and have witnessed many head-on fatalities. In my opinion this is by far the most dangerous thing about Baja. If you are not familiar with the roads do not do it.

- If you plan your gas stops you will be fine (even with the FJ's terrible range) in most areas. Make sure you refuel before the entering either way the gas divide between El Rosario and Jesús María. It is 200 miles across.

- Get a Copy of the Baja Almanac

- Carry tools and a full size spare tire and if you plan on going off road recovery gear.

- It helps to know a little Spanish to get around but its not completely necessary.

- Many US telecom careers now have free calling and data while roaming in Mexico. You need to call them and have them activate for your account.

- Take you time and have a look around the place is very special.

Once you get South of Ensenada you will find that the people are very friendly and warm if you are respectful.
suzzer, Ace Brown, fj40drm and 2 others like this.

2013 Cavalry Blue AT
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Forum Master

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)

The route has been finalized !!!!!!!!!

It will be just me and my kids.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	map.png
Views:	42
Size:	383.5 KB
ID:	958873  
Solid E, Primer, debFJVT and 1 others like this.

ALL OEM .. even the oil filter..
MINT 2007 4x4 FJ Cruiser STICK SHIFT - Rear Diff Lock, A-Trac, subwoofer, OEM roof lights and bumper fin fog lights from Dubai, inner/outer door sils from the Far East
81k miles of nothing but pure adventure around North America. All scratches come out immediately. Must remain in showroom condition forever !

Last edited by fj40drm; 11-16-2017 at 11:26 AM.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 05:40 PM

Wow - this thread is a great resource for Baja and I'm glad I found it.

I am also planning to drive down Baja in late December as the beginning of a planned trip to drive all the way to Tierra Del Fuego. fj40drm, maybe we can meet up somewhere along the way. That looks like a wonderful trip to take with your family.

I'm going to make a big post on this forum soon about the trip (as far as I can tell I'm the first person to do this drive with an FJ - or at least that's blogged about it). In the meantime here's my blog: Home - Ushuaia or Bust, Drive to South America

+1 to worrying too much about crime imo. Baja is probably one of the safest places I'm going to be, at least until I get to Chile - and I'm taking my FJ all the way down.
Ace Brown and debFJVT like this.

Last edited by suzzer; 11-16-2017 at 05:45 PM.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 11:17 AM

Hey are you on the road? I'm in Ensenada right now. Looking to camp either in La Bufadora for a night, or go straight to Nacional Parque de San Pedro Martir.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 04:33 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Mexico is totally corrupt from top to bottom! Won't be spending my hard earned money there: but is a beautiful country and people can be warm and friendly: but my time there was many years ago before it got bad and no cartel wars! I'm loathe to travel anywhere without a gun and certainly can't do that in Mexico and advice about checking vehicle carefully before you go, regarding any ammo or components is well advised! Since you will be camping, take a big sharp machete or bolo knife with you. Would be more innocuous as a "tool" and not so likely to be seen as a weapon! If you ever have to use it or any other knife to defend yourself, just resign yourself to fact that you will be cut. If using a knife for self defense, and are willing to do it, DO NOT TRY FOR OBVIOUS STRIKES AT OBVIOUS ATTACK POINTS ON THE BODY, GO FOR HANDS, WRISTS, FOREARMS! If they can't hold weapon, they can't continue to attack. Previous military and LE experience has taught me this.

busterfuzz
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 09:22 PM

I'm wandering around in Baja now. From what I've seen and from what everyone has told me - it's very safe. This is not true for all of Mexico - but Baja is very wealthy area relatively speaking. Ensenada might as well have been LA. Everyone has new cars and the latest iPhones. But the Wal-mart(s) don't have camping chairs

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Expeditions > Planned Expeditions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in