Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Advice on Baja

Heading down to Baja from Tennessee. END OF DECEMBER
How is border and crowds at that time?

Will come to San Diego first.

Will have my two kids with me.

FJ will not go. I don't want to donate it to a thief down there.

I will be taking my 1998 RAV4 which is quiet capable to handle many terrains. I took it to the Arctic Ocean last year.
I don't want to attract attention in a Voodoo blue FJ..
Got 255k miles on it.. Just got it compression tested.... (130/150, 100/115, 125/140, 125/155)

I know I need a passport.
I will have gas on my roof.
Drive only during the day time. CAN I travel at night? If I have to travel only during the day light hours that will really put me behind schedule !!!!!
Keep to main roads. I have the tendency to go into unknown roads for fun but I must avoid in Mexico. Right?
Follow a caravan of cars if possible.
Have cash stacked inside my socks along with my cellphone.
Have some cash outside for bribes?

Any survival tips are welcome. Thanks !!!

Attaching pic of my rig that will be used for this job.
I have also mounted the traction plates since yesterday. One picture from when I was at the arctic circle last year...

Again.. thank you for any input/advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1560.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	932490   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1564.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	932498   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1879.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	932506   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2231.PNG
Views:	39
Size:	310.6 KB
ID:	932514   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1561.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	403.5 KB
ID:	932554  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	320.0 KB
ID:	932562  

ALL OEM .. even the oil filter..
MINT 2007 4x4 FJ Cruiser STICK SHIFT - Rear Diff Lock, A-Trac, subwoofer, OEM roof lights and bumper fin fog lights from Dubai, inner/outer door sils from the Far East
81k miles of nothing but pure adventure around North America. All scratches come out immediately. Must remain in showroom condition forever !

Last edited by fj40drm; 09-15-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 02:14 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Re: Advice on Baja

Your overreacting about crime in Baja. I've done 9 trips there starting in 1970 and the only thing I ever had stolen were fancy valve caps (kids), and a couple of carabiners by soldiers going thru military checkpoints. I travel solo a lot and camp on remote beaches with NO issues. I drive a 15 4Runner all decked out and don't even think about it being stolen. Your more likely to have issues in SD than in Baja. Those people make a living off us tourists and don't want do anything to disrupt that cash flow. Stop listening to the nay-sayers and go have fun.

I would not hesitate to drive the FJ. They have seen plenty of them in all colors.

The only precaution I'd recommend is don't hang out in the border towns. Do your crossing, get your visa and move south pronto. Best crossing is Mexicali East. Avoid Tijuana.

I camped on this secluded beach solo for several days. Often left my rig there and paddled away for hours. No concerns at all. (photo would not upload, I'll try again later)

Ace
Solid E, Primer and BlindWilly like this.

Alan "Ace" Brown * Book Cliff Cruisers * Smokey Mtn Cruisers * TLCA #18649 * Overland Certified * BRC *

2008 FJC AT Silver; All-Pro, ARB, BFG, Bud-built, Cobra, Eagle, Expedition One, Garmin, Nitro Gear (4.88), OME, PIAA, Pioneer, Viking, Warn, Yakima, over $18K so far.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 02:36 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to MotioncontrolMike

Hmmm...I just went down to Ensenada(in the city and very rural as well) with a local from down there...a few thoughts: (1) Get car insurance for Mexico, easy enough to do online. Carry proof of it in vehicle for sure. If you get into an accident, file a claim while you are there, not after departing Mexico- as this will nearly nullify the claim in most cases.(2) Hide away valuables from sight when you leave the car, as break ins do happen a fair amount. Crime is a reality. Your plates identify you as an interest (3) Carry passport with you wherever you go; if stolen from vehicle, you wont get out of Mexico easy. (4) I will typically pay a local a few pesos to keep an eye on my car-its not much, but someone is watching whether I pay or not usually. (5) Mexicali entrance and exit is a breeze, (6) Bring purifier for water if staying long as a back up, drink only bottled beverages, and never use ice for drinks anywhere (7) Cell phone coverage was thru MexTel...very unreliable service so just know that. Having a translator App on your Phone is wise (8) Oh yeah, have fun!

Mike

Last edited by MotioncontrolMike; 09-14-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 02:49 PM
Forum Superstar

As I said earlier cross and head south. Ensenada is not far enough. It's a big city now and does have some crime issues. The advice about ice is old news. I don't drink iced drinks very often but never had a problem.

The only time I've ever gotten sick on food there was from my own cooking.

Drinking bottled water is valid advice but you can also get water at the Agua Purafino (sp?) stations to fill up your jugs or tanks.

Ace

Alan "Ace" Brown * Book Cliff Cruisers * Smokey Mtn Cruisers * TLCA #18649 * Overland Certified * BRC *

2008 FJC AT Silver; All-Pro, ARB, BFG, Bud-built, Cobra, Eagle, Expedition One, Garmin, Nitro Gear (4.88), OME, PIAA, Pioneer, Viking, Warn, Yakima, over $18K so far.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 03:09 PM
Forum Master

Yeah... I mention the ice because there is a temptation to think that because your dining at an upscale restaurant that they have filtered the water for the ice machine. Not likely. I am a bit different than Ace...I don't cook my own grub... I eat lots of local fare and live it up.
Thorn661 and jamesepoop like this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Forum Master

Garage
(Thread Starter)

GREAT !

Basically I am just hearing common sense type of stuff. I have travelled in Asia and Africa. Same deal. Don't flash around cash and use brain. LOL.
Ace Brown, Thorn661 and jamesepoop like this.

MINT 2007 4x4 FJ Cruiser STICK SHIFT - Rear Diff Lock, A-Trac, subwoofer, OEM roof lights and bumper fin fog lights from Dubai, inner/outer door sils from the Far East
81k miles of nothing but pure adventure around North America. All scratches come out immediately. Must remain in showroom condition forever !
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 11:55 PM
Forum Superstar

Advice on Baja

I wrote a lengthy reply and somehow deleted it. But recapping briefly. Whenever your traveling in foreign countries it's good policy to be aware and careful. That applies to most US cities as well. I have not traveled in Africa since 1962 so can't speak to safety there but from what I've read Baja is much safer. Get out in the Backcountry of Baja and you will find they will give you the shirt off their backs. Very friendly and helpful. Most can speak some English, enough to get buy.

I eat in Baja restaurants too, but most of my food comes from venders who bring fresh food right to you on the beaches, or purchased in local markets.

One precaution: no guns or ammo can be taken into Mexico. One forgotten case rolling ariund under a seat could get you in trouble with the policia.
BlindWilly and jamesepoop like this.

Last edited by Ace Brown; 09-14-2017 at 11:57 PM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 02:16 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Garage

I'd use a dummy wallet for your cash. Usually if there is trouble with local authorities down there while on the road, they'll take everything in your wallet for their time. My co worker travels through Mexico regularly and he brings supplies and goods to his family. He still gets pulled over. That's just how it is and I'd rather lose some change than a big chunk. But I see you'll be stowing your cash so at the very least if you are searched, I wouldn't want the bulk of it on me. Much like everywhere, I get ripped off more by local cabbies than anyone lol. Have a good time!
MotioncontrolMike likes this.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 11:03 AM
Forum Master

Quote:
jamesepoop previously said: View Post
I'd use a dummy wallet for your cash. Usually if there is trouble with local authorities down there while on the road, they'll take everything in your wallet for their time. My co worker travels through Mexico regularly and he brings supplies and goods to his family. He still gets pulled over. That's just how it is and I'd rather lose some change than a big chunk. But I see you'll be stowing your cash so at the very least if you are searched, I wouldn't want the bulk of it on me. Much like everywhere, I get ripped off more by local cabbies than anyone lol. Have a good time!
I have heard the same thing, make a duplicate wallet for your travel, and keep the other hidden way. Have your drivers license color copied and laminated at a Kinkos, etc and that way if confiscated, your still good to go. Doubtful they will detect it as fake on quick perusal. Not much of a hassle to do really and worth the effort. Good stuff!

Mike
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Forum Master

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
jamesepoop previously said: View Post
AUTHORITIES?

You are telling me that I will have federales swindle me out of money as well?

I don't drink so I won't be carrying alcohol. No guns. I will carry antibiotic for kids and myself just in case.
Everything else would be just clothes, simple FOOD, emergency supplies like first aid, extra gasoline on my roof etc..etc.

CAN I travel at night? If I have to travel only during the day light hours that will really put me behind schedule.
END OF DECEMBER
How is border and crowds at that time?

Last edited by fj40drm; 09-15-2017 at 12:33 PM.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Expeditions > Planned Expeditions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in