39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Ushuaia or Bust!

Hi all, long time no see. You may remember me as the first guy who put in an aftermarket sunroof in and posted about it: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...installed.html The pictures are broken now, but you can see the sunroof in my avatar. I will dig the old pics up if anyone is interested in seeing them.

Anyway - I am planning to leave in about a month to drive my FJ all the way to the southern tip of South America. As far as I can tell I'm the first person to do this trip in an FJ, or at least to blog about it. And what's the point of driving all the way to Tierra del Fuego if you can't blog about it? So I'm going to assume I'm the first person ever to do it.

The final destination is Ushuaia, Argentina - the southernmost city in the world (Chile argues that it's Puerto Williams - but most say that's not really a city just mostly a Navy base). So that's the name of my blog: Home - Ushuaia or Bust, Drive to South America

I'm a pretty avid landscape photographer, here are my pics from last years trip to Patagonia (I did not drive): https://500px.com/500px398/galleries/patagonia-2017

And here's highlights from a bunch of other trips over the last 12 years (most with the FJ - which has certainly come in handy getting into dicey spots): https://www.flickr.com/photos/891308...57625760004379

Current plan is to leave LA about Dec 15th and drive down Baja, then take the ferry over to Mazatlan and eventually make my way over to the Yucatan - eating lots of delicious things along the way. Mole Negro in Oaxaca and Mole Poblano in Puebla are going to be highlights of the trip for me.

I am meeting some buddies in Tulum about Feb 1st. They're driving around the world on their bikes, taking a month to ride, then work for a month (they're all pilots). This is them: https://www.facebook.com/endofallroads/

So if anyone has any advice, please let me know. Or even better wants to meet up for any parts, co-pilots are always welcome. See my blog for more details.

Oh yeah, I put in a tuffy locking storage drawer - very happy with it: Preparations! - Ushuaia or Bust, Drive to South America

The idea is to provide an extra layer of security against smash and grab, but also if I have to use "roll on, roll off" shipping, where you basically have to empty your car of anything that can be stolen. I figure I can put semi-valuable stuff like tents and tools in there, and hope they don't pry it open.
Winterpeg, Bar3K, ZerosFJ and 3 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Re: Ushuaia or Bust!

One thing I could use some advice on is a cheap/low maintenance way to store some extra gas cans. Current plan is to just bungee then to the roof rack and maybe add a locking bicycle chain so they don't get stolen.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 01:37 AM
Mean Time Moderator

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1381 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Sounds a great trip! From your amazing photo’s looks like you’ve already been to some great places. Look foreward to photo’s of this one. Ikd be putting in an aux tank for sure rather than carrying lots of cans.

Are you driving the Darian Gap?

2014- FJC Cement "Eddystone" US spec personal import - mods in progress https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...eddystone.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Thanks I will look into an aux tank. The last I checked in 2008 or so I don't think there were any options. I didn't realize there were now. Is the Man a Fre tank the one everyone goes with?

Edit: well hmm, looking around I'm guessing that Man a Fre tank is gonna cost me at least $3k with parts and labor. I'm not really looking to put that kind of coin into the FJ before taking it on a trip where it very well might not come back. Back to strapping gas cans I guess.

I have to ship over the Darien Gap, biggest PITA of the whole trip. No ferries, just normal shipping. Either container shipping - which is safer and you can leave stuff in the car, or "roll on/roll off" where you have to basically leave your car open and nothing of value inside. Problem with a container is you have to find a partner to share the container - or it's a lot more expensive.

So that's what the storage box above is for. Hopefully they won't break into that if I do RORO shipping. Also as an extra layer of security if someone smashes my window. And what's really cool is when you look in through the windows you can't even tell there's a false floor.

Last edited by suzzer; 11-18-2017 at 05:45 PM.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

New plan for extra gas is to emulate this: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...581-post2.html

It's perfect for me - cheap, and I can always re-improvise if the cans get stolen. I'll run a locking bicycle chain through them for extra security. Also I like sand color much better than red because it doesn't advertise FREE GAS quite as well.

I just found a couple of those tanks on ebay for $50 apiece. Now I just need to figure out the right straps.

I may not have to use it, but having that extra 10 gal will give me so much peace of mind. Otherwise I'd practically have to fill up every half tank out of fear of running into a dry patch.
Thorn661 and Wandering_FJ like this.

Last edited by suzzer; 11-28-2017 at 06:08 PM.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 06:09 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)

Fun Trip. Good plan with the fuel.

>>>>>>>>>>2010armygreens slow build<<<<<<<<<<

>>>>>>>>ArmyGreens M416 Build<<<<<<<<

Garage
2010 FJ Army Green
2014 FJ Iceberg
M416 Trailer
Maggiolina Grand Tour Roof Top Tent
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-17-2017, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Hola fellow fj cruisers! New touchy-feely blog post is up: Taking time to equalize - Ushuaia or Bust, Drive to South America

Current plan:
  • Leave Wednesday (the 20th)
  • Chill out with 2p2er Gramps in Tijuana for a night
  • Maybe camp at La Jolla campground south of Ensenada - or maybe barrel further into Baja
  • Camp and hike for a few days in Sierra de San Pedro Martín national park in central Baja
  • Make my way to La Paz, take the ferry over to Mazatlan on the mainland
  • Maybe head down toward Puerto Vallarta and chill on the beach for a bit
  • Go north a bit to San Miguel de Allende for a few days
  • Make my way to Puebla for a week-long intensive Spanish school a this place: https://www.livitspanish.com/ which comes highly recommended
  • Hang out in Oaxaca for a few days at a couple campground which are hubs for "overlanders" - who are people doing what I am doing, except most of them have some sort of camper van or RV, and eat lots of mole. Food in Oaxaca is a highlight of the trip
  • Make my way over to Tulum by Feb 1 - to meet up with some friends who are doing a similar trip (except the whole world) on their motorcycles: Home - End of All Roads (they're all pilots with a lot of seniority, so they're taking a month on/month off to ride - 3 year trip around the world)
  • Hang out in Tulum for a couple weeks
  • Then all signs point to a very pretty girl I work with coming to hang out with me for 3 weeks, drive from Tulum, check out Belize for a week, then Guatemala
  • After that it's pretty wide open, but I will probably try to find another week-long intensive spanish class in Antigua, Guatemala
  • Then my motorcycle buddies will be driving the rest of the way through Central America starting March 15th
  • Then I still have to be in Patagonia on 4/16 but I will probably fly because I have determined it's ridiculous to try to drive down there that fast

So that's the latest - unless someone has done this without blogging about it - I think I'll be the first one to make this drive in an FJ. Keep up with the blog for more.
ZerosFJ, debFJVT and cliffy like this.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

And we are on the road (left Thursday). The longest journey starts with the first beer. Or something like that.

Did a Tijuana bearded gringo brewery/gastrobpub-crawl with a poker buddy. He had tons of good inside info. on how to be an American in Mexico. My back was killing me after 3 days of nonstop packing and moving, and I felt sick yesterday. So I decided to get a cheap hotel room in Ensenada and am resting - hoping i feel good enough to do a hard hike or two soon in this National Park: https://moon.com/2017/06/parque-naci...r-baja-mexico/

I probably won't post here too often, but feel free to follow my blog: Home - Ushuaia or Bust, Drive to South America I have heard now of one other person doing this with an FJ, but she didn't go all the way to Ushuaia. So I could still be the first ever to do the entire Pan-Am highway in an FJ. Probably not though, not everyone blogs.

That's the good stuff.

Best al pastor ever. These burned their way out today.

Friendship Park, where the border meets the sea.

We are strawberries we want to be food. Do not step on us!
Thorn661 likes this.

Last edited by suzzer; 12-23-2017 at 11:22 AM.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 01:14 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

I’ll be following along! Good luck and safe travels.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Thanks! Some new blog posts coming (as soon as I can get my pics to upload on crappy wifi). I had a little 4x4 adventure with my FJ in north-central Baja but wussed out and went the long way around. I probably would have made it. But the idea of puncturing something in the middle of nowhere (I have no skid plates or winch ) and I still can't speak Spanish for **** kind of spooked me.
Joabmc and Thorn661 like this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Expeditions > Planned Expeditions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in