33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Utah Big 5 trip

Wife and I are road-tripping to Utah again to do the Big 5 and the North Rim over Thanksgiving. Have been to Moab and the Grand Canyon before but wanted to get off the beaten path a little and avoid the summer and fall surges.

What we have planned:

North Rim - Point Sublime
Zion - the normal stuff (narrows, road tour, etc), maybe Barracks Trail if passable
Bryce - Navajo Loop hike, see the viewpoints
Capitol Reef - Cathedral Valley Loop, Fruita, road tour, Trembling Giant (while we are in the area)
Moab - Tower Arch OHV trail, White Rim road, hike the arches in the park

Might do Goblin Valley if time allows.

If anyone has any ideas on what else we should do please advise! We have been to Moab multiple times so not sure is there is a lot left to do there.
CRFjockey, debFJVT and Thorn661 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 05:30 PM
MOAB SUPERSTAR

Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Quoted: 2088 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Utah Big 5 trip

Sounds like an amazing trip, at a great time of year! Goblins Valley is well worth it, VERY special, unique place, and easily accessible
Thorn661 and Radney like this.

Member of the Month November 2016

TLCA# 25170
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 07:32 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)

Elevation at Point Sublime is 8245 feet. Keep an eye on the weather. See North Rim operations transition to day use beginning in November

If you drive US-89A (going to or coming from) Jacobs Lake, the view of the Vermilion Cliffs and Marble Canyon are spectacular. If going through Page (Glen Canyon Dam), consider visiting Antelope Canyon. It is on Navajo Land, but the hike is awesome.

Finally, if you have time in Moab, Canyonlands National Park is nearby. The Island in the Sky Section is my favorite and Upheaval Dome is a geological wonder. When driving back to Moab, consider coming down Shafer Trail. This is not difficult, but fun and scenic.

There is so much to see in southern Utah, a person should allow a couple weeks to visit.
Thorn661 likes this.

“Kansas Law Dog” for admiration of “Tombstone”, the movie, and the legend of Wyatt Earp.

2007 Titanium 4x4 Automatic (stock except non-factory rock rails)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Thanks for the advise so far, and yes I am already watching the Arizona DOT for road and weather advisories. Also I've done Shafer and Canyonlands already.

Anyone else recommend anything? Maybe places to eat in rural Utah (seems like things might be kinda scarce out there)?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 04:12 AM
MOAB SUPERSTAR

Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Quoted: 2088 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Radney previously said: View Post
Thanks for the advise so far, and yes I am already watching the Arizona DOT for road and weather advisories. Also I've done Shafer and Canyonlands already.

Anyone else recommend anything? Maybe places to eat in rural Utah (seems like things might be kinda scarce out there)?
Very rural and sparse restaurants outside Moab. Possibly the best place for a great meal for many miles around is between Moab and Castle Valley, right on the Colorado - the River Grill at Sorrel River Ranch - outstanding, and worth the $$
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	491B2A72-4EFC-4EF5-A01C-1AF0292ADBE5.jpeg
Views:	31
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1057736  
Thorn661 and Iconic_ like this.

Member of the Month November 2016

TLCA# 25170

Last edited by debFJVT; 10-29-2018 at 04:17 AM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 07:52 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage

I plan to visit Horseshoe Canyon (Maze District Canyonlands) when I go next spring (it's only about 50 miles from Capitol Reef). They have BLM camping and a pretty good pictograph scene. Here's a link: https://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvis...shoecanyon.htm

"Horseshoe Canyon contains some of the most significant rock art in North America. The Great Gallery, the best known panel in Horseshoe Canyon, includes well-preserved, life-sized figures with intricate designs. Other impressive sights include spring wildflowers, sheer sandstone walls and mature cottonwood groves along the intermittent stream in the canyon bottom. Horseshoe Canyon was added to Canyonlands in 1971."
BlindWilly likes this.

2007 Sun Fusion FJ Cruiser - 6 speed MT
ARB roof rack, bumpers, fridge and air compressor
Suspension by Icon, OEM rock rails, 16" TRD wheels
Under armor by Ricochet, Rocktec, & BozTec
Cabin in Big Bend with 12 Mbs DSL and no plumbing
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 11:30 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Radney previously said: View Post
Wife and I are road-tripping to Utah again to do the Big 5 and the North Rim over Thanksgiving. Have been to Moab and the Grand Canyon before but wanted to get off the beaten path a little and avoid the summer and fall surges.

What we have planned:

North Rim - Point Sublime
Zion - the normal stuff (narrows, road tour, etc), maybe Barracks Trail if passable
Bryce - Navajo Loop hike, see the viewpoints
Capitol Reef - Cathedral Valley Loop, Fruita, road tour, Trembling Giant (while we are in the area)
Moab - Tower Arch OHV trail, White Rim road, hike the arches in the park

Might do Goblin Valley if time allows.

If anyone has any ideas on what else we should do please advise! We have been to Moab multiple times so not sure is there is a lot left to do there.
My wife and I did North Rim, Zion, and Bryce a couple of years ago in a single trip (in the FJ of course!). We spent a lot of time hiking (down into the canyon in Bryce and clear to Wall Street in Zion) and Mountain Biking, so we didn't visit as many places as you're planning. But it was definitely one of the best weeks we've ever spent. Have a great time!

2007 Black Cherry AT
A-Trac | TRD Cat-Back | OEM Sliders
Mods
Bilstein 6112/5160 | Wheeler's T12 Rear Springs | ProComp A/T Sport 285/70R17 | ProComp Series 41 Wheels | RESZfab LCA/RCI LCA Skids | Ricochet Skid | DD SS6 Wide/LED Mirror/Interior Lights | IPF 968 Lights | ARB CMKA12 Compressor | Uniden Pro510XL | Bandi | 4'/2' Firesticks | Orangeboxx/Springtail Molle Racks | Iconic/Apex Recovery Points | Rad Rubber

Calamity Jane is my Co-Pilot and Herbie is along for the ride!

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 06:35 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)

I will be going with some family friends in the last week of december, 4 people total.

I have no rock crawling experience, and family & friends never driven off the pavement.

Are there any offroad trails beginner friendly? like... no cliffs or big boulder on the path? a quick google search didn't help, lol. I will look into the places mentioned above.

I have a Forester and I could stay on the pavement for the whole time, but I know I/they would miss out a lot.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 07:33 PM
Forum Beer Miester

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2030 Post(s)
Garage

Damn this would be a sweet getaway this time of the year, jealous much.
debFJVT and Radney like this.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
My bed previously said: View Post
I will be going with some family friends in the last week of december, 4 people total.

I have no rock crawling experience, and family & friends never driven off the pavement.

Are there any offroad trails beginner friendly? like... no cliffs or big boulder on the path? a quick google search didn't help, lol. I will look into the places mentioned above.

I have a Forester and I could stay on the pavement for the whole time, but I know I/they would miss out a lot.
Are you doing all of southern Utah or just the Moab area?

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Expeditions > Planned Expeditions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in