Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Manhantthan Beach Toyota

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  FJ Newbie 
#1 ·
I went in for a 8am appointment today for 5K scheduled maintenance on my 2010 FJ. I requested an oil and filter change because of the off roading I have been doing. At first they wanted to charge me $110 and I asked isnt this covered under the factory 2year free maintenance program and he acted like he did not know what I was talking about. He eventually brought it down to about 65. I did read on the new cars that it states 2 year free normal/regular maintenance.

The thing that concerns me is that I told him the 2010 FJ comes with Synthetic and he said only the highend cars like the landcruiser come with synthetic. Once he saw 0-20W, he realized the FJ is synthetic.

The second thing that concerned me was I told him I have the jerking issue when I come to a stop. I told him that people told me that there is not enough grease in the drivetrain. He said you would have to take the drivetrain apart to grease it. He also said LExus had the same issue and came out with a fix which was to drill a hole to relieve air pressure.

I am now wondering if the people who work their and work on my car are competent. I wonder how do these people get trained. Was talking to someone while I was waiting for my car and he told me his issues with the place that gave him the run around on his headlight problems on his 2007 Prius. I wonder if they actually put synthetic in my car.

See less See more
#3 ·
FJ Newbie =

I would find a different dealer, immediately! I would also go to the dealer your purchased your FJC from and as the above poster suggested get your free maintenance booklet.

In terms of your "jerking" problem, it is very common and a rather simple fix.

I am assuming your FJC is a 4WD. If it indeed is, you'll want to grease your driveshaft zerks (specifically the rear driveshaft slip yoke).

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/maintenance-tech/61544-zerks.html

Good luck!

#5 ·
I did get a maintenance booklet, but was not sure if it applies to all toyota dealers. I bought my FJ from Ventura Toyota and it is 80 miles one way, so its too far. I do have a 4WD. I guess I will go buy a grease gun since the dealer wouldnt do it for me as they say they were not instructed to perform this at the 5K schedule. BOGUS!!!

#7 ·
This is nothing new.. I just purchased my used FJC from a Subaru Dealer in Glendale. The dealer assured me that all the oil changes were done. After 200 miles my maintenance light came on. I called the dealer he again assured me.. Needless to say i had to send him an invoice and he reimbursed me.
The people who work at the dealerships have limited knowledge especially when it comes to giving free service.
As an example my other vehicle is BMW 335i and all maintenance is included. I have had the car for almost 4 years and the dealer actually call me ahead of time and lets me know that they will be performing various services. Now thats what I call service. Brakes, Windshield Blades, to the smallest corrections that are needed they will do. Its all free... NO BULL NO HAGGLING.
If toyota wants to be like them then i suggest they need to train and not have an attitude when giving the service that they have offered or charged with the sale of the vehicle.
Goodluck..

#8 ·
Sorry to hear of the tales of woe. I've been pretty pleased with my service dept./dealer here in Columbia SC. I was surprised that you get "assigned" a service tech. I make my appointment and they make sure that "your" tech will be there for you. My tech. has 32 years as a Toyota tech. and is well versed in FJs and other Toyota trucks/4x4s. I go in on the 5k and present my coupon. I've never been charged for going in early. Every 5k I also get the tires rotated. Every other time I get charged for the rotations.

Maybe Toyota should actually look at the customer surveys and set a standard. You don't make and maintain the grade, they find someone who will 'til it is A standard across the country.

#9 ·
I had a Lexus and the service was great and they would call and mail a letter saying my maintenance is due. Not sure what the disconnect is, but Toyota is sure dropping the ball on service and the knowledge of the service guys. I looked online for reviews of some other local dealers and they all seem to be consistent on poor service and lack of knowledge of what they are doing. I guess I will have to grease the zerks myself as the clunk when coming to a stop is annoying me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.