Torque Converter Shudder - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Problems / Dealer Service If you are having a problem with your FJ or want to discuss a visit to the service department, post it here.

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 06:18 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Re: Torque Converter Shudder

Quote:
Grouper previously said: View Post
I'm not so sure what they had to say because I didn't bring it back to them. Jacque at TRDparts4u supplied me with a new driveshaft which was installed by a good friend and mechanic. It is what it is unfortunately. Since my last post the shuddering has eased up some and is completely gone if I drive in fourth. I am hoping with the passing days that it might completely go away. Sooner or later I am going to have to deal with the root cause. I guess I will start with a new TC and go from there but not anytime soon.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Good Luck with that and keep us updated. Save that old driveshaft, you never know...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-21-2013, 10:53 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

That sux

The Build: The G.A.T.O.R.
TLCA # 21402
KF5OAB
Founding Member of the
LOUISIANA LAND KREWESERS
post #23 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 08:04 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Torque Converter Shudder

Just an update, after a full week of driving the shudder seems to have all but disappeared. No shudder or vibration at all over the last three days. The flush seems to be working.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 05:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I also have an 07 TRD, bought new with 130000 mls. I regret to say that I , until 6 mos ago, never thought about the tranny fluid. I know better now and was taught better. Anyway, my FJ developed the shudder and I had no clue what it was. I bought new tires, needed them anyways, but no fix for the shudder. Took it to a dealer in Kansas while visiting relatives and of course they never heard of this and had no clue what could be causing it. i told them I wanted a transmission flush and they told me "Toyota does not recommend a complete flush anymore", so I had them do a partial(about 4 qts.) flush. Didn't change a thing. I took it to my home town dealer in Kennesaw Ga because they are oh so smart..... They kept it overnight and called me the next day with this. Nothing wrong with the tranny but, your engine monts are shot as are the tranny mounts. The universal on the driveshaft needs replacedd and you need front brakes. I say, could this be causing the shudder? could be.... $2300 later I start researching on the internet (better late than never, right?) on the forum here. Lo and behold I find I am not alone! After a lot of reaaading I feeel that ii haave narrowed it down to the torque converter. I go to a AAMCO dealer who patiently liistens to my story and then hands me a small red tube and says put this in and if it works come back and give me $10. Hmmmmm, I say. So, of course I pay him the $10 right then, drop in the bucket right? The first day after putting it in and then 25 mile test drive, maybe a little better. Day 2, 20 mile drive, definitly better but still shuddering. Day 3 50% fixed. By day 5 95% fixed, only very occasional shudder is happening. This is now day 10 and I can say that in the last 3 days not a single shudder through 4 tanks of gas (wish that stuff helped the gas mileage) driving my son and my brother through the north Ga mountains. I figure this is a temporary fix at best but my baby is acting right for now. if (when) it starts back I will do a complete flush. Hope this helps someone else at least temporarily. Oh yea, the name of the stuff is " Dr Tranny's instant shudder fix" and I think you can find it for about half of what i paid. Good luck!
post #25 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 05:36 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)

Just to give an update, I guess it was almost a year ago that I did the flush and I have been shudder free for most of that time but about two weeks ago it started to return. I'm not sure how many miles I have put on it since then but it is my daily driver. I guess a new torque converter is in my future but I will give "doc tranny" a shot to see if I can buy some more time.

post #26 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 10:48 AM
Forum Superstar

Thanks for the input pfox64219 and Grouper. Check out the reviews and comments on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Instant-Shudder-Fixx-Dr-Tranny/dp/B0007ZDRVC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

post #27 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 12:57 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
RomaBoy previously said: View Post
Thanks for the input pfox64219 and Grouper. Check out the reviews and comments on amazon. Instant Shudder Fixx By Dr. Tranny (2 oz.) : Amazon.com : Automotive
This product is a friction modifier and what it does is make the ATF more slippery. So along with reducing a shudder it reduces the holding power of all the clutches inside your transmission. I would never use this stuff im my transmission.

*All the work on this truck was done by me!*

<NO SNORKEL> _OME Lift -LR UCAs - DeMello FB - 12K# Winch - Hi Lift -Warn RB - TRD muff - Cobra CB / Bandi - A-Trk, Diff Lock, VSC, Chime Hacks - BMC -305-70-16 MTR's & Raceline Renegade's - Wolo - Hi Lift - Tube Grill - Ellis Shift Knbs - Silver Star H4s- Clazzio Leather - Blue Sea Panel - Optima Yellow - Kenwood DNX6980 - Oznium LED- Prodigy BC - SCUBA -Window Tint - Springtail Racks - Tru Cool 4454 - VIAIR Sys -AP Sliders-Ricochet HD Skids - BozTec Diff Skid - ToyTec LCAs & Panhard - Front ARB - 4:56 Gears - Smitty CO2 Cyl - AIRAID CAI - Baja Rack - Lowrance Baja

https://www.facebook.com/jim.eberhart

TCLA Member 4407

post #28 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 01:27 PM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
jimmiee previously said: View Post
This product is a friction modifier and what it does is make the ATF more slippery. So along with reducing a shudder it reduces the holding power of all the clutches inside your transmission. I would never use this stuff im my transmission.
I was just waiting for you to chime in on it. I remember the trans shop recommending lubeguard after I had an auto trans rebuild on my ZF HP22. I think you mentioned that it was good stuff. Which one would be best for the Toyota trans jimmie, red? LUBEGARD Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant

post #29 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 01:54 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
RomaBoy previously said: View Post
I was just waiting for you to chime in on it. I remember the trans shop recommending lubeguard after I had an auto trans rebuild on my ZF HP22. I think you mentioned that it was good stuff. Which one would be best for the Toyota trans jimmie, red? LUBEGARD Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant
LOL , Lubegard Red works in most transmissions and would be a good choice. Just looked in the Lubegard book and they recommend either Red or Platinum.

*All the work on this truck was done by me!*

<NO SNORKEL> _OME Lift -LR UCAs - DeMello FB - 12K# Winch - Hi Lift -Warn RB - TRD muff - Cobra CB / Bandi - A-Trk, Diff Lock, VSC, Chime Hacks - BMC -305-70-16 MTR's & Raceline Renegade's - Wolo - Hi Lift - Tube Grill - Ellis Shift Knbs - Silver Star H4s- Clazzio Leather - Blue Sea Panel - Optima Yellow - Kenwood DNX6980 - Oznium LED- Prodigy BC - SCUBA -Window Tint - Springtail Racks - Tru Cool 4454 - VIAIR Sys -AP Sliders-Ricochet HD Skids - BozTec Diff Skid - ToyTec LCAs & Panhard - Front ARB - 4:56 Gears - Smitty CO2 Cyl - AIRAID CAI - Baja Rack - Lowrance Baja

https://www.facebook.com/jim.eberhart

TCLA Member 4407

post #30 of 70 (permalink) Old 01-29-2014, 02:14 PM
Forum Superstar

Thanks Jimmie.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in