acceleration bogging around 2,200 rpm - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Problems / Dealer Service If you are having a problem with your FJ or want to discuss a visit to the service department, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
acceleration bogging around 2,200 rpm

I have a 07 6MT with 80,000 miles. I change my plugs every 30,000 miles with ngk's from the dealer and check the gap before I install them. I replace my air filter often, just did it approx. 5,000 miles ago. I have always used 91 octane since I bought it new. My problem has been going on for a while now, maybe a year or so, and is not getting any worse. When I accelerate harder then normal, maybe half pedal or slightly more, in any gear the engine pulls great/smooth then when I reach around the 2,150 rpm mark it boggs down a lot. It's very annoying when trying to gain speed on a on ramp or get ahead in traffic to make a lane change. When I am doing 65mph on the highway in 6th gear, throttle response is good until I give it about half pedal then I can feel it bogging again. I have never cleaned my MAF sensor. Any ideas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 01:06 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
acceleration bogging around 2,200 rpm

Clean both air flow sensors. Be gentle I use electrical cleaner and canned air. Also might check your exhaust for leak where it mates to the y pipe. If that doesnt help you might wanna hook up to the computer and see if theres any codes

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

MODS TO DATE: 2007 Black Diamond
Electronics
Kenwood DNX 5160
ALPINE 10 Inch sub to stock sub enclosure
replaced 2inch speakers with 4.5
All stock speakers replaced with Kenwoods
BACK UP Camera

SUSPENSION
ICON ext travel 3 inch lift

Tires
Yokohama Geo Lander

Performance
Injen CAI
Borla dual exhaust
NGK irdium plugs

Looks
blacked out all silver pieces

Next up...skids and tube bumper,black out rims
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)
Re: acceleration bogging around 2,200 rpm

I just had my yearly inspection last month, wouldn't any codes have been found when they hook up for the emission test?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 01:45 PM
Forum Regular

Depends on the mechanics. Some don't do a whole lot. It doesn't hurt to check. I have the wireless OBD that hooks up to my iphone to check codes and clear them. It could be nothing. Have you checked your throttle body (butter fly valve)? Doubt thats an issue but doesnt hurt to make sure its not filthy. Also try disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes. Other than that no sure what other trouble shooting you can do. It isn't a drive train issue and isn't a transmission. If there is indeed an issue I'd say either computer, intake system or exhaust
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 02:06 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 68 Post(s)

It's funny this doesn't throw some kind of code, have you checked? I have same year with an auto. I clean my MAF sensor every 2 years and it clears a slight hesitation just off idle (specially when cold) but it never bogged badly like yours. I wonder if there isn't some kind of vacuum leak that prevents the butterfly inside the intake manifold to operate properly? This butterfly is closed to maximize runner length and improve low RPM torque and opens at high RPM to maximize HP by allowing a straighter shot of air though a shorter runner at high RPM. This is why normally you can feel a surge of power above 3000 RPM when accelerating. If it's not operating properly you may be getting too much fuel in mid-range causing the bog. Do your plugs show any sign of lean or rich mixture? I don't know how you'd check if the butterfly is operating normally. Heck I'm not sure it's even vacuum operated (just a guess.)
Maybe it's something in the VVT that's not operating properly? Was the oil changed regularly?
Last thing I can think of is clogged filter somewhere but you'd see a general lack of power, not just a bog. This is weird.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)

I have the same obd reader they use at advance auto. I will hook it up tomorrow and also clean the maf sensor and report back. The bogging feels exactly like bad turbo lag. I always change my oil every 5 months or 5,000 miles, which ever comes first and always with mobil 1.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 05:31 PM
Admin

Mentioned: 170 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Back-in-Black previously said: View Post
Clean both air flow sensors. Be gentle I use electrical cleaner and canned air. Also might check your exhaust for leak where it mates to the y pipe. If that doesnt help you might wanna hook up to the computer and see if theres any codes

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I've cleaned my MAF near the air filter but where is the second one?

Suck it up... it's only -40

2008 FJ Trail Teams
ARB Front; Exp1 rear STC; Apex rocksliders; Lightforce on front bumper; ARB Full Rack w/Grid; ; Icon Susp w/cdc; magnaflow muffler (mashed the original); Engo 12000S winch; 285/75/16 Duratracs; Ricochet skids, Uniden PC78 Elite CB (ch 16 typically, ch 19 on the hwy)

"Don't drive angry".... BFM
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2013, 05:31 PM
Forum Regular

on the y pipe

MODS TO DATE: 2007 Black Diamond
Electronics
Kenwood DNX 5160
ALPINE 10 Inch sub to stock sub enclosure
replaced 2inch speakers with 4.5
All stock speakers replaced with Kenwoods
BACK UP Camera

SUSPENSION
ICON ext travel 3 inch lift

Tires
Yokohama Geo Lander

Performance
Injen CAI
Borla dual exhaust
NGK irdium plugs

Looks
blacked out all silver pieces

Next up...skids and tube bumper,black out rims
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
(Thread Starter)

I hooked up my OBDII reader and it shows no codes stored. I can't clean my MAF sensor today because it's below freezing outside and I don't like messing with cold plastic. So as soon as it warms up, hopefully sometime this week, I will clean the MAF and go for a test ride and report back.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 05:23 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

I doubt it could be your PCV valve, but it might be worth taking out and shooting some carb cleaner thru it. It's on the driver's side, rear of the engine.

Cleaning the MAF may help. Make sure you get the MAF itself and not just the air temp sensor, they are often confused.

Even if the throttle body were dirty it shouldn't affect things at the rpm you are experiencing.

Check all the air cleaner fittings, make sure they are tight.

A vacuum leak shouldn't be noticed much at that rpm.

If you have a fuel pressure gauge with a schraeder valve, you can check your fuel pressure.

Hope this helps.

DEWFPO

2007 FJ, 5AT, Sun Fusion Yellow, CQ, UP, GY, RB, 2Q, EL, VS.

Engine Block Heater, '08 Cyclone Pre-Filter, Dual horns, Phillips Osram 70W/65W H4's, RockBlocker and 3M Clear Film, Toyota RearSight Backup Camera, Ultra-Gauge MX 1.3.

"Enjoying the Journey"

"Wanted - young, skinny, wiry fellows, not over 18. Must be expert riders willing to risk death daily. Orphans preferred"
Original newspaper add placed by William Hepburn Russell, founder of the The Pony Express

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in