loud humming noise when i drive 60 to 80 mph?? - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Problems / Dealer Service If you are having a problem with your FJ or want to discuss a visit to the service department, post it here.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 06:41 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Re: loud humming noise when i drive 60 to 80 mph??

Baja rack by chance? Mine does it when the BajaRack has ice on it for some reason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 06:49 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

I also experience this from time to time. To me it sounds more like the hood, or something in front resonating. I can't offer much help, but I am now subscribed in case a solution is discovered.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 05:37 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

I'm getting a hum now with my Fierce Attitude MT's on the freeway.

I like it

2008 Black Diamond FJ Cruiser Auto 4WD

*TRD exhaust, radiator and oil caps-PRG Snorkel-RME Scuba kit-BajaRack Basket-Gobi ladder-3" RC Lift-All-Pro 1.25" wheel spacers-All-Pro Sliders-Cobra 75WXST CB-All-Pro Bandi mount-3ft Firestik-285/70R17 Fierce Attitude MT's-2 Hella SuperTones-2 Hella 500's-21" Blitzpro LED bar-2 Blitzpro 6LZ LED bars-2 Pilot PL-820C backup lights-Ricochet skids-Rocktek Rear Shock Armor*

*SOLD*

Future: 2012 TTE (taking orders for free ones)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 06:02 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

OP, I am pretty sure I figured out what it is. The way you describe it is exactly they way mine was. I heard it with my stock bumper, but it worsened once I removed the bumper and cut the fender plastic. Last week I used some cinch straps an secured the loose fender plastic to body. I have logged about 4 hours of 75mph interstate traveling and no hum.
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey, it might just be your windshield wipers?The wind hits them and they make loud humming sound when I hit 80 or lower if it's windy. I figured the problem out. Wet your wipers well and let them run. See if the sound goes away. Good luck, duck!
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 12:06 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Garage

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I've been having this same issue on occasion at highway speeds. Today was the loudest I've ever heard it. It was loud enough to the point where I was actually kinda concerned. You can also feel a vibration in the windshield and rear view mirror. Here is a video of the noise the night I brought it home from the dealer. It's much quieter than what I just experienced today. I'm just curious to see if anyone has a solid answer to what this noise is.

post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 02:35 PM
Forum Superstar

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Vyperpunk previously said: View Post
Sorry to revive this old thread, but I've been having this same issue on occasion at highway speeds. Today was the loudest I've ever heard it. It was loud enough to the point where I was actually kinda concerned. You can also feel a vibration in the windshield and rear view mirror. Here is a video of the noise the night I brought it home from the dealer. It's much quieter than what I just experienced today. I'm just curious to see if anyone has a solid answer to what this noise is.

FJ Cruiser Wind Noise - YouTube
I just had this problem fixed. It is most likely the panel above your windshield. That strip between top of windshield and roof. I had to have a new panel ordered and they replaced it and so far have not heard that same exact sound since. For some reason, the first panel didn't seat right or something to that effect. If you want to make sure, put blue painters tape all across where the windshield meets that panel and make sure all seams are sealed up. If you don't hear the hum, then that is definitely your problem. Good luck!

2013 Trail Teams, 3" Toytec Boss Suspension, Light Racing UCAs, 285/75/R16 Cooper STT PRO, Expedition One Rear Swing Out bumper, Trailworx Evil Eye front bumper, Engo Winch, Factor 55 1.5" Hawse Fairlead, Factor 55 ProLink thimble, Crosby shackles, PIAA 520 6" Off Road Lights, Cree 4" Cree front bumper LEDs, Rigid Industries SR-Q series diffused flood lights, Rocker switches and sPod relay and fuse block from OTRATTW.com, Budbuilt Front Skid

IMPERIAL CRUISER BUILD THREAD

Last edited by fensterer; 02-24-2014 at 03:00 PM.
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 05:00 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
fensterer previously said: View Post
I just had this problem fixed. It is most likely the panel above your windshield. That strip between top of windshield and roof. I had to have a new panel ordered and they replaced it and so far have not heard that same exact sound since. For some reason, the first panel didn't seat right or something to that effect. If you want to make sure, put blue painters tape all across where the windshield meets that panel and make sure all seams are sealed up. If you don't hear the hum, then that is definitely your problem. Good luck!
I'll give it a shot. The only problem is that it doesn't make this sound very often. What's crazy is that the sound and vibration was so violent today, that I actually felt it in the pedals. I'm wondering if that small panel is even capable of vibrating that much.
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I had a very similar problem it was the upper windshield trim. I had to have it removed and reinstalled.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 11:34 PM
Forum Superstar

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Vyperpunk previously said: View Post
I'll give it a shot. The only problem is that it doesn't make this sound very often. What's crazy is that the sound and vibration was so violent today, that I actually felt it in the pedals. I'm wondering if that small panel is even capable of vibrating that much.
Yep, that vibration got pretty loud and violent. It didn't do it every day for me neither but it did do it a lot. Windy days was really bad. It's been about 3 months since I had the panel replaced and it hasn't done it yet.

2013 Trail Teams, 3" Toytec Boss Suspension, Light Racing UCAs, 285/75/R16 Cooper STT PRO, Expedition One Rear Swing Out bumper, Trailworx Evil Eye front bumper, Engo Winch, Factor 55 1.5" Hawse Fairlead, Factor 55 ProLink thimble, Crosby shackles, PIAA 520 6" Off Road Lights, Cree 4" Cree front bumper LEDs, Rigid Industries SR-Q series diffused flood lights, Rocker switches and sPod relay and fuse block from OTRATTW.com, Budbuilt Front Skid

IMPERIAL CRUISER BUILD THREAD

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in