loud humming noise when i drive 60 to 80 mph?? - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Problems / Dealer Service If you are having a problem with your FJ or want to discuss a visit to the service department, post it here.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 07:22 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Garage
Re: loud humming noise when i drive 60 to 80 mph??

Alright cool. I'll see if I can remove it and lay some weather stripping under there by the edges. Assuming the clips are as fragile as everyone says, where would I get new ones?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 02:31 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Vyperpunk previously said: View Post
Alright cool. I'll see if I can remove it and lay some weather stripping under there by the edges. Assuming the clips are as fragile as everyone says, where would I get new ones?
Not sure where to get new ones other than the dealer. I still had a warranty so I had them fix it.

2013 Trail Teams, 3" Toytec Boss Suspension, Light Racing UCAs, 285/75/R16 Cooper STT PRO, Expedition One Rear Swing Out bumper, Trailworx Evil Eye front bumper, Engo Winch, Factor 55 1.5" Hawse Fairlead, Factor 55 ProLink thimble, Crosby shackles, PIAA 520 6" Off Road Lights, Cree 4" Cree front bumper LEDs, Rigid Industries SR-Q series diffused flood lights, Rocker switches and sPod relay and fuse block from OTRATTW.com, Budbuilt Front Skid

IMPERIAL CRUISER BUILD THREAD
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I can almost guarantee that your top windshield seal cover/trim whatever you want to call it is coming apart from your windshield as you go faster.

I was going down I-15 in Utah heading south going 85 mph. I heard the wind noises, and humming coming from the top of the windshield. Minutes later i heard a loud pop and something hit my roof rack.

I look in my rear view mirror and see my trim piece flying across the freeway. This is a $280 part to purchase without even painting it.

Let's just say it took 45 minutes to find the stupid piece, and luckily the Highway Patrol never rolled by wondering why in the world an FJ was going 2 miles an hour thru the freeway median.

***Caution to all: I've noticed on many FJ's new, or old the trim piece is slowly coming loose. I've pointed it out to many FJ owners if i catch them by there car, and point out the issue to them.***

I better see you all in Moab in April for the Jeep Safari!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 07:24 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Supporting Member

Quote:
fensterer previously said: View Post
I just had this problem fixed. It is most likely the panel above your windshield. That strip between top of windshield and roof. I had to have a new panel ordered and they replaced it and so far have not heard that same exact sound since. For some reason, the first panel didn't seat right or something to that effect. If you want to make sure, put blue painters tape all across where the windshield meets that panel and make sure all seams are sealed up. If you don't hear the hum, then that is definitely your problem. Good luck!
I've been trying to track down this issue for over two years! It's gotten worse lately and I haven't been able to track it down ( I even foam taped all the loose wires behind my Kenwood head unit in an effort to solve this infernal noise). So, I was so excited to read this that I rushed home, applied blue painters tape as suggested, and hit the freeway. The noise has vanished, so I think the problem is firmly diagnosed .
Now, how to fix it? I guess I could get the dealer to replace the panel, but I suspect they caused the problem to start with when they replaced my cracked windshield. Does anyone have a DIY solution?
Anyway, thanks for posting

2010 AT 4x4 Silver Fresco Metallic

Adventure Trailers:Alpine:ARB:Bandi:BAMufflers:Blue Sea Systems:Bluetorch Fabworks:BudBuilt:Bushwacker:Bussmann:Clarion: Clazzio:Cobra: DB Customz: DeMello: Department of the Interior: Dirty Parts: DreamConceptz:Ellis Precision:Expedition One:Firestik:Garvin Industries:Hayden Automotive:Hella:Hopkins:Husky:ICON:Kenwood:Kicker :Lifetime LED:Man-A-Fre:Metal Tech:Nitro:Nitto:PIAA:Polk Audio:ProComp:Raingler:RAM:Richochet:Rigid Industries:RCI Metalworks:ScanGauge:Springtail Solutions:Superwinch:Tekonsha:Trailworx:Tuffy:Unic hip:VDO:Vision X:WeatherTech ... it never ends.
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 01:25 PM
Forum Veteran

Supporting Member

It appears that some clips were broken on the upper windshield panel when my windshield was replaced several years ago! Rather than replace the molding at that time the installer, who is used by the dealership, simply put it back on and anchored it with the remaining clips and adhesive. I guess I'm lucky it didn't blow right off like happened to Lyric G. Anyway, rather than have the dealer gouge me for a replacement I have ordered a replacement on-line - although I still feel gouged as it cost $280, although that's better than the almost $380 the dealership wanted. Should be a simple matter to clip it/stick it into place.

Adventure Trailers:Alpine:ARB:Bandi:BAMufflers:Blue Sea Systems:Bluetorch Fabworks:BudBuilt:Bushwacker:Bussmann:Clarion: Clazzio:Cobra: DB Customz: DeMello: Department of the Interior: Dirty Parts: DreamConceptz:Ellis Precision:Expedition One:Firestik:Garvin Industries:Hayden Automotive:Hella:Hopkins:Husky:ICON:Kenwood:Kicker :Lifetime LED:Man-A-Fre:Metal Tech:Nitro:Nitto:PIAA:Polk Audio:ProComp:Raingler:RAM:Richochet:Rigid Industries:RCI Metalworks:ScanGauge:Springtail Solutions:Superwinch:Tekonsha:Trailworx:Tuffy:Unic hip:VDO:Vision X:WeatherTech ... it never ends.
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 01:59 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
fairbro previously said: View Post
I've been trying to track down this issue for over two years! It's gotten worse lately and I haven't been able to track it down ( I even foam taped all the loose wires behind my Kenwood head unit in an effort to solve this infernal noise). So, I was so excited to read this that I rushed home, applied blue painters tape as suggested, and hit the freeway. The noise has vanished, so I think the problem is firmly diagnosed .
Now, how to fix it? I guess I could get the dealer to replace the panel, but I suspect they caused the problem to start with when they replaced my cracked windshield. Does anyone have a DIY solution?
Anyway, thanks for posting
Glad to hear you are now able to get rid of that annoying sound. It bothered me for a few months and after a long trip from Dallas to Albuquerque, I couldn't stand it anymore and was determined to find out what the heck is going on. My wife actually suggested the painters tape off a hunch so kudos to her!

I was lucky that mine was still under warranty, at least now Iknow what to do in case it happens again after windshield replacement!

2013 Trail Teams, 3" Toytec Boss Suspension, Light Racing UCAs, 285/75/R16 Cooper STT PRO, Expedition One Rear Swing Out bumper, Trailworx Evil Eye front bumper, Engo Winch, Factor 55 1.5" Hawse Fairlead, Factor 55 ProLink thimble, Crosby shackles, PIAA 520 6" Off Road Lights, Cree 4" Cree front bumper LEDs, Rigid Industries SR-Q series diffused flood lights, Rocker switches and sPod relay and fuse block from OTRATTW.com, Budbuilt Front Skid

IMPERIAL CRUISER BUILD THREAD
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 04:46 PM
Forum Regular

Garage

Maybe its just me, but I find dealerships to be incompetent most of the time. So I'm afraid that if I take it there to get fixed under warranty, it'll come out worse than how I brought it in. I'm wondering if they can just give me the part, this way I can do it myself and fill any possible airspace under this piece of trim with weather stripping and glue.
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 05:03 PM
Forum Veteran

Supporting Member

Quote:
Vyperpunk previously said: View Post
Maybe its just me, but I find dealerships to be incompetent most of the time. So I'm afraid that if I take it there to get fixed under warranty, it'll come out worse than how I brought it in. I'm wondering if they can just give me the part, this way I can do it myself and fill any possible airspace under this piece of trim with weather stripping and glue.
I have ordered Part # 7550335012 (MOULDING SUB-ASSY, WINDSHIELD, OUTSIDE UPPER.), which I got from this post --> https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...d-molding.html

post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 05:32 PM
Forum Regular

Garage

Ouch, that little piece is expensive. I could never justify paying that out of pocket. I guess I better get this fixed this year before the warranty is up.
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thank you.. I simply put a piece of gorilla tape over the rubber seal on the top trim.. the noise was so loud it gave me headaches.. problem solved.. I just don't think my 2013 fj should have that issue already.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in