The VVT-i Death Rattle on Start-up: TSB? - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Problems / Dealer Service If you are having a problem with your FJ or want to discuss a visit to the service department, post it here.

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: The VVT-i Death Rattle on Start-up: TSB?

Quote:
cwheeler previously said: View Post
I'm saying it sounds just like hydraulic lifters. I have not torn into the FJ engine. But there are only so many parts that would be moving at that speed on start-up. Valves are the only thing, in my mind, that are gonna make that noise on start-up. So, to me, there is some oil starvation in the valve train....

Just my guess. I am not an expert.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Neither am I, that's why I researched the crap out of this and came up with the VVT-i controller theory.

It is in the valve train, and it is oil related, but those would be the noisiest non-existing hydraulic lifters ever, since my 2007 FJ doesn't have hydraulic lifters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 04:58 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)

It's magical!

Like I said earlier, I would change oils and see if that helps.

My 2 cents.

post #13 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
cwheeler previously said: View Post
It's magical!

Like I said earlier, I would change oils and see if that helps.

My 2 cents.

Will do... in at least 4000 more KM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 07:52 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1826 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

g'day Joel.

1. HAPPY NEW YEAR MATE.
2. Glad you have your FJ back up n running.
3. Bummed that you are still have start up challenges.
4. Solution ..... time to trade it in for a new 2014TT .... but only after you have warmed it up ..when going for the trade in.

I know this is off topic, but hey .... get wheelin Joel ....

Cheers ears
Baz

post #15 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

=> FJoel
Man, I am sorry. I sorta figured that hydraulic lifters were ubiquitous across Toyota engine lines. I'll do more homework before my next post.
post #16 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-05-2014, 09:40 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Joel we used to get 100's of Suzuki's that had a similar upper end noise at the auction (due to thin aluminum heads) and found adding Lucas oil additive (1/2 bottle per engine after draining the equivalent) made a vast improvement. I swear that stuff is mechanic in a bottle.

The Crack Rock Toyeti- 2010 "almost stock"... SOLD to Colin
The Build-->https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ck-toyeti.html

The Epic Adventure-->https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...adventure.html

The GTR Build- Meet Zim---> https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...-meet-zim.html
post #17 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 12:33 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)

^^^^Joel this is the direction I was going, my thought is if this is a mechanical clearance issue then having a oil/additive with a higher viscosity will hang onto the surfaces better and longer between operation. It is hard to hear on the video with the hood closed, If I can make a suggestion get a friend to help you while your standing at the front of the motor open the oil fill cap on the valve cover then have the truck started , if it is the valve train slapping around it will be very audible through the oil fill opening. I have to say I have heard many motors cold start rattle with the absence of oil pressure and yours does sound different , mind you I have no experience the VVT motor but the sound is very rapid like a rattle more than knock.
This will sound way out there and likely not your issue but I feel should be checked .... Have you looked at the cooling fan blade and clutch assembly to make sure everything is tight, there are no cracks or breaks in the blades? How many miles on this motor? another thing to check off the list is the timing chain and tensioner, Some old motors used oil pressure to push the tensioner against the chain, I have no idea how this motor does it.
Just some thoughts tossed out there.
post #18 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 01:30 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
FJoel previously said: View Post
Who else has this? Obviously not 2010+ FJ's...
I have a 2010 and it does the same valve clatter when it's been sitting a day or two in the cold (-20C and below). It's just long enough to get me to feel bad for the truck...

My girlfriend's 2004 Echo does it also below -10C, but I don't care about her car...

Stock 2010 MT6 Army Green with Canadian off-road pkg
post #19 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
bazross previously said: View Post
g'day Joel.

1. HAPPY NEW YEAR MATE.
2. Glad you have your FJ back up n running.
3. Bummed that you are still have start up challenges.
4. Solution ..... time to trade it in for a new 2014TT .... but only after you have warmed it up ..when going for the trade in.

I know this is off topic, but hey .... get wheelin Joel ....

Cheers ears
Baz

Thanks Baz!

Mel suggested the trade in 2 nights ago. I'll lose all my mods and have to start over... and I don't think I want the FJ payments again now that we have a mortgage. So tempting... maybe.

Quote:
Old Cruiser previously said: View Post
Joel we used to get 100's of Suzuki's that had a similar upper end noise at the auction (due to thin aluminum heads) and found adding Lucas oil additive (1/2 bottle per engine after draining the equivalent) made a vast improvement. I swear that stuff is mechanic in a bottle.
I tried this, first with a half bottle, now with a full bottle. It doesn't seem to last as long, but still does it! Grrrr....

I used the synthetic version, as I am running Amsoil.

Thicker oil isn't going to help, the stuff is quite viscous.

Quote:
WaJohnZ previously said: View Post
^^^^Joel this is the direction I was going, my thought is if this is a mechanical clearance issue then having a oil/additive with a higher viscosity will hang onto the surfaces better and longer between operation. It is hard to hear on the video with the hood closed, If I can make a suggestion get a friend to help you while your standing at the front of the motor open the oil fill cap on the valve cover then have the truck started , if it is the valve train slapping around it will be very audible through the oil fill opening. I have to say I have heard many motors cold start rattle with the absence of oil pressure and yours does sound different , mind you I have no experience the VVT motor but the sound is very rapid like a rattle more than knock.
This will sound way out there and likely not your issue but I feel should be checked .... Have you looked at the cooling fan blade and clutch assembly to make sure everything is tight, there are no cracks or breaks in the blades? How many miles on this motor? another thing to check off the list is the timing chain and tensioner, Some old motors used oil pressure to push the tensioner against the chain, I have no idea how this motor does it.
Just some thoughts tossed out there.
The fan is new and tight. I can hear the sound coming from the valve train, but I'll try the oil cap off trick. Thought about the tensioner, but I am quite sure it is the cam gears.

Quote:
FJC-4x4 previously said: View Post
I have a 2010 and it does the same valve clatter when it's been sitting a day or two in the cold (-20C and below). It's just long enough to get me to feel bad for the truck...

My girlfriend's 2004 Echo does it also below -10C, but I don't care about her car...
Our 2005 echo has no such issues! Thank goodness!
post #20 of 79 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 09:11 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)

I've experienced this on other DOHC engines when using oil filters that have inadequate anti-drain back valves. (fram) Switching to a quality filter(wix) alleviated the start up clacking..

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in