Paint Chipping Class Action? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Problems / Dealer Service If you are having a problem with your FJ or want to discuss a visit to the service department, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 194 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Angry Paint Chipping Class Action?

okay, let the flaming begin, I don't care anymore.

I love the truck, the looks, the way it drives, etc. etc. etc., but I am not happy with the paint chipping.

This is not my daily driver, and has never been off road, but I am seeing a substantial amount of chips in the paint. Not only the front and a pillars, but also the side of the vehicle.

The dealership was helpful and talked to Toyota, but they said they would only paint the a pillars, and the rest was tough luck. I called Toyota and got ahold of Alonzo Scates in the customer service who was a total tool and hung up on me. Yes, I'm calling this customer disservice rep out. After calling back again, I got ahold of a nice young lady who was very helpful and took my information. I still hope it will be taken care of, but I'm wondering how many others out there are willing to pursue this thing if needs be.

People wanting to flame me can go ahead an bite me at this point as I was/am happy enough with the car (except for this) to buy my wife one as she has taken an interest in it and is up for a new car. This will definately queer the deal if it is not taken care of.

I want to gauge interest in a class action if needed in order to get Toyota to remedy this situation. I really don't want to get rid of it, but I will if I need to.

post #2 of 194 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 01:10 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Paint Chipping Class Action?

Sorry about your chipping.

My FJ is a daily driver and has been off-roading. No chipping yet.

Kathy De Lisle
[email protected]

07 Sun Fusion 6speed stik
3" Rough Country Lift / Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor 285/70/17 / Atrak Hacky Sack
post #3 of 194 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 01:30 PM
Forum Master

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...t=class+action

It's been brought up before here on the forums...class actions.

While annoying, I recommend some patience, as we are not even through the FJs first model year. I suspect that Toyota is putting some remedy together to fix this. They've been hounded about this for months now. Between the windshields and paint chips...data still coming in....

If we don't hear from Toyota next year around this time, then well maybe it will be time to get the drums beating!

my 2 cents

- Chris
TLCA # 16780

2007 FJ: Voodoo Blue, AT w/ CQ UR2, FJ Roof Rack, Factory rails, hitch, skid plate,TRD intake + exhaust, ScanGaugeII
885/895 OME Lift, OEM black steelies

Smokey Mountain Cruisers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 194 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 01:32 PM
Forum Regular

I think once i have to replace the windshield , I'm just going to get all my cosmetic stuff fixed. Haven't had a problem with paint chips but Hopefully I can come up with some excuse about how the rocks hitting my windshield had some "butterfly effect" on my rear bumper someone scratched.

And anything else that comes up. Pay the deductible get an all you can fix buffet . (if possible)

07 Sun Fusion 4x2 , Side Curtain Air Bags, 17" BBS Wheels, and a Really, Really Ridiculously Good Driver.
post #5 of 194 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
fivestar13 previously said: View Post
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...t=class+action

It's been brought up before here on the forums...class actions.

While annoying, I recommend some patience, as we are not even through the FJs first model year. I suspect that Toyota is putting some remedy together to fix this. They've been hounded about this for months now. Between the windshields and paint chips...data still coming in....

If we don't hear from Toyota next year around this time, then well maybe it will be time to get the drums beating!

my 2 cents
I understand what your saying, but they are pretty much saying no dice at this point. In a year, my FJ will have a grandiant white to Blue effect, and they may or may not admit a problem. Not sure if I can wait to take the risk that they will just ignore the problem.

post #6 of 194 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 10:45 PM
fka JimmyHoops

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

I now have chipping all over my body. I've scheduled an appointment on monday to meet up with my sales guy. Overall, my dealer relationship has been great. I will see what the dealer will do for me. I just flipped 15K miles this weekend. Honestly, I can say that I have never owned a vehicle that has sustatained this level of cosmetic damage in such a short period of time. The paint on the FJ (mine anyway) is disapointing to say the least. Currently, the only panel not to have paint chips is the rear door.

I'm gonna push to have the FJ repainted at the dealer/Toyota's expense. I could understand if the FJ had seen trail abuse or had higher miles/years before this started happening. This problem certainly does not meet my expectation for durability from a company that touts durability as one of thier primary marketing campaigns.

I'll report back once I meet up with my dealer. I hope that they will be cooperative in trying to remedy this situation.

Have a question & need an answer? Do an "Advanced Search" and ye shall find: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...n-dummies.html

'07 FJ, VooDoo Blue, M/T6...mostly stock but beginning its metamorphosis into a expedition worthy rig.

post #7 of 194 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 11:02 PM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Daily driver, off road too...........1 small chip, a few woodland tattoos, 1 replaced windshield.

I don't think you're going to get anywhaere with the paint chipping problem... now if it was a paint peeling problem, maybe.
post #8 of 194 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 11:13 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

No paint problems on mine, so no interest. I can on,y go on personal experience. The windshield issue is another story. Going on my third after only 5 months and 5600 miles.

You might want to check to see if certain colors are more prone to chipping, but I can't see any reason why, unless they're just more obvious.
post #9 of 194 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007, 11:47 PM
Forum Master

2 minor chips the size of a diameter of a spaghetti noodle (ie, small). Both from when rocks struck the vehicle when travelling about 45 mph and a logging truck passed me on a fire road.

On on top of B pillar, one near front of hood.

FJCameron
post #10 of 194 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 12:08 AM
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to BlackCherry Bomber

I baby mine, haven't really been off road, and my A-Pillars, hood, fenders, and even doors have enough chips to ruin my wash day. I pointed it out to my dealer at my 10K oil change and they basically said, "yep, those are rock chips, not our problem." I filed a complaint with Toyota, and while they were polite enough, I was basically given a case number and told to jump. If they're being hounded about this issue, everyone is playing dumb around here. Sign me up for this suit and F the flamers. Off road vehicle or no... if chips aren't earned on a trail, I don't want to see em.

2007 FJ AT 4WD Pkg 2, Bridgestones, Skid Plate, Rock Rails, Locking Diff., Hitch, Side Airbags, 2nd Horn, & Dead Buzzers.

Wishlist: VSC Cancel Switch, Flowmasters, Beefier Rubber, Foglights, GPS.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in