Broken Rear Diff / Build Date Please - Page 72 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Problems / Dealer Service If you are having a problem with your FJ or want to discuss a visit to the service department, post it here.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #711 of 718 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Re: Broken Rear Diff / Build Date Please

Wife's dad has a 2007 with a build date of 6/06 or 7/06. Rear went at 80K a few weeks ago. Took it to Toyota 3300.00 for a complete rear-end and rear brake job. He thought it was his tires... I told him no way and to take it in. Turns out I was right. Price is awful steep for something like that. He could've taken it to my local Offroad shop and had a new one done for 2000.00 +/- lol. Toyota should be helping these people out with a known issue on the 1st builds

2014 FJ Cruiser... TRD Offroad... Cement
2011 Tundra Crewmax lifted on 35's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #712 of 718 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 03:03 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)

Quote:
VooDoo1 previously said: View Post
2007 I purchased new in Dec 2006. 4WD AT. Differential build date is 8/24/2006.

Mileage is just under 104,000. I have always used Amsoil gear lube in the diff's and transfer case and changed the fluid religiously.

Had a whining noise coming from the rear that became progressively louder over time. Turned out to be a pinion bearing. Had pinion and carrier bearings replaced. Ring and pinion gears looked to be in great shape.

I cannot believe how quiet everything is now. It feels like a new truck. The only noise coming from the back is the exhaust noise. How sweet it is.
I have an early 07 build and have the loud whine coming from the rear end now. Headed to the Stealership as we speak to get it looked at. Really hope its just a pinion or something. Or maybe just needs some new fluid. I'll report back, fingers crossed.
post #713 of 718 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi My FJ is 02/06 build with 110k miles. The rear end his humming bad at about 65 mph. It makes a pulsating hum, which I am assuming is the rear end. Can anyone explain what the difference is in damage which requires a whole new 3rd member vs just ring and pinions. I dont have any grinding noise, but it sounds like Im riding on the rumble strip or have huge tires. Any advice is helpful. Also the fluid was changed in it 15k miles ago which didnt seem to make any difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #714 of 718 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 07:41 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
rrichard805 previously said: View Post
Hi My FJ is 02/06 build with 110k miles. The rear end his humming bad at about 65 mph. It makes a pulsating hum, which I am assuming is the rear end. Can anyone explain what the difference is in damage which requires a whole new 3rd member vs just ring and pinions. I dont have any grinding noise, but it sounds like Im riding on the rumble strip or have huge tires. Any advice is helpful. Also the fluid was changed in it 15k miles ago which didnt seem to make any difference.

It is always a good idea when changing out Ring & Pinion you should go with new bearings as well since you have 110K on the clock. Also you want to take care of this as soon as possible before it will grenade on you and leave you stranded. I would suggest calling Chase at ECGS East Coast Gear Supply, no one can beat their service and their warranty. I have dealt with them before and a lot of us on this forum as well.

“There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.”
2010 TT 6MT. 4.56+ARB locker, Icon Coil Over Shocks+FOX 2.5 Rear+Icon UCA. All pro HD steering Kit. Metal Tech tube bumper with Caterpillar GTB 9000 Winch. Light Force Striker 170 HID. K&N cooled Air Intake. Ricochet Skid Plate. All-Pro Rear LCA. ARB Half Rack. Boztech Diff skid 285/75/16 Goodyear MTR, Edelbrock Exhaust. URD Short Shifter. Total Chaos LCA Skids.
And Death Valley Is The Place To Be
post #715 of 718 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 08:58 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

So its been awhile. What they have all been fixed and now they dont break anymore. LOL Anyways I am now added to the list. Rear end is starting to howl and some grinding. Oil was changed to Syn and it still looks clear. Some sludge on drain plug.
Year 2007 A/T Build date 06/07
Diff build date O7.06.05 (as on tag) so from what I have read that is Jun 05 2007.
Looking for a used newer 8.2
Some light trailer towing and trail use. Not crazy. Cruize Baja trails in the winter.

GRAMPS TOY: 07 BD "C" Package, 5Spd Auto, Hood Deflector, Vent Shades, Pass. ArmRst, SS Grille Inserts, Black Tundra Handles, Bushwacker Flares, Real Tree WetOkole's. FJ Freedom Windows, Springtail MPac,

OFF ROAD MODS: ARB Winch Bumper, KC Daylighters, PIAA 510 Fogs, K&N Filter, 12,000 lb. Titan Winch w/syn line, Icon Remote Res Frt Shocks w Light Racing Upper Control Arms (Metal Tech) Rasta 4x4 Ally skids, Pro-Comp 7028's (powdercoated white) & Goodyear 285 x 17 MT/R's, SpyderTrax Spacers. AFE 3" High Tuck Cat Back, AFE CAI,(FJoel) Rigid 20" Light Bar, Metal Tech Red Eye R Bumper

ORIGINAL FJ:71 FJ4040 yrs ago) 350 Chevy V8 Conv., 4Spd GMC Truck Tranny, (IT BURNTUP)
post #716 of 718 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

A list I wish I didn't have to join...

I am the original owner of a 2007, completely stock vehicle with auto transmission and electronic locker. I now have a growling rear diff and left rear wheel bearing noise at 105K, I had the diff oil changed at dealership every 30k. It has less than 20 miles total of very mild off-road use on hard packed sand, bumpy roads, and snow and ice, and zero towing or hauling heavy loads. Most of the miles were highway miles.

Vehicle build date 02/07, diff build date 02/16/07
post #717 of 718 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

New member here
Great Forum!!!
Approximately what Date did Toyota switch to a New Vendor for these FJ Third Members?
Is there an Approximate Third Member Build Date when these Gear Teeth Stopped Breaking on the Owners of the FJ?
Also.....Who is the Vendor that makes & builds these third members for Toyota?

I have Attached a picture of My 2008 Third Member Build Date. - The Vehicle Build date is 2 days after the Third Member Build Date.
Thank You !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8181.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	234.5 KB
ID:	1045564  
post #718 of 718 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 10:52 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)

folks tried to narrow down a build date for the bad ones but I haven't seen an answer to it (from past threads: some folks with failed diffs were marked with what looked like later dates than some others with fine diffs, and also some of the service replacement part's label's dates/numbers were also confusing)

the vendor was not changed, the heat treating process had a flaw and was corrected

The consensus, though, was that the issue was with '06 and some early '07 diffs. By mid/late '07 it was corrected, so your '08 should be fine.

There was one other diff change: the size change made from '10~, from 8.0 to 8.2" ring gear (and, no, they are not interchangeable, because everything was ever so slightly scaled up, including the bolt pattern to the rear axle housing, so the whole rear axle would have to be swapped to adopt it). The consensus is that the 8.0 does fine for most users / most uses, as long as it was not from that early, bad batch.

N
riderboy1961 likes this.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in