Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Result of Les Schwab Wheel Mounting Job

4K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  tigardfitfuji 
#1 ·

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
No, it is a neigbor's car; it happened in front of my house this morning.

I always check the torque myself after having my wheels mounted.

I had been pleased with Schwab myself over the years but have noticed a deterioration of attitude, and they seem to be in much more of a hurry lately.

the Shwab crew who came out was sortof nonchalant about the whole thing, like it was not an out-of-the-ordinary thing to have happen.

#3 ·
beat their asses!

#7 ·
I always hang out in the back shop when they are mounting my wheels, alot of managers don't like it but I tell them I will take my business some where else.

#16 ·
Yeah, when I got my tires put in I stood there and watched the guys from start to finish. They kept looking at me all weird, finally one of them asked, 'is this your truck' I said yes and then they were OK with me breathing down their necks. I made sure they torqued those bolts and then I immediately took it to a friends shop to have him check the torque!
Well, I hate to tell you this, but this is the worst thing you can do to have mechanics do the best work possible on your vehicle. Staring at people while they work will only make them nervous and upset, and they will develop a dislike for you almost immediately. If you return for future work the mechanic will definitely not put his full effort into taking care of your car. A normally calm and unrushed mechanic is more prone to make a mistake if the customer is standing there tapping their feet while watching them work. Throw in some of your own advise while you are watching and things will get even worse. If you want the best service and results, take your car in, drop it off, get the hell out of there, and come pick it up when it is done. :)

#8 ·
Yeah, when I got my tires put in I stood there and watched the guys from start to finish. They kept looking at me all weird, finally one of them asked, 'is this your truck' I said yes and then they were OK with me breathing down their necks. I made sure they torqued those bolts and then I immediately took it to a friends shop to have him check the torque!

#9 ·
I saw something like this at a goodyear shop. I was waiting in line to get a flat repaired and a guy comes in all sweaty and redfaced with a tire/wheel in hand. He said that he got down the street (about 1 block) and the wheel fell off his car (they had just mounted new tires on his car). After seeing this, myself and several other customers that were waiting in line decided to go somewhere else. The manager was clamoring for us all to come back. Yeah right!

#10 ·
I've given Schwabies 3 shots at doing stuff right and they have failed every single time. I will never go there again...ever. In fact, I drive over an hour to have any wheel work done just to avoid them.

#14 ·
I guess this is semi-related: couple of weeks ago my wife and I got into a debate because she takes her van to Walmart for oil changes and other small maintenance. The oil I don't do because I don't like trying to get rid of it, and the other stuff she is just too busy for, so she pops into the Walmart near where she works.

My take was that, apologies to anyone who works in Walmart's MV service area, but they have to be getting the low end of the mechanic food chain. Nevertheless, when she needed new tires she went to Walmart. Well, when they were balancing them they left something on the machine that they shouldn't have, and it carved a 1/4" groove into the front face of all four aluminum rims. Ouch. $1200 mistake. The manager told her the machine malfunctioned, and they are stepping up on the bill.

#21 ·
That sucks! I am no Schwab lover but, that stuff happens.

I used to run a Firestone store and we would hear of this kind of stuff happening all over the country. The tech is working on 2 or 3 different vehicles and forgets which on he torqued and does not double check.

The problem is when the company does not fix the damage they have caused. It sounds like they are going to take care of it and no one got hurt.

People make mistakes and this one could of killed someone but it will happen again and it does not matter where you go for service.

My advice is to stay away from the little shops where a repair like this comes right out of their pocket and they might try to fight it.

Les Schwab, Sears, Firestone, Jiffy Lube, if they hurt your car and don't offer to fix the problem, it goes over the managers head and it gets fixed no matter what.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.