Deceleration Hum - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Problems / Dealer Service If you are having a problem with your FJ or want to discuss a visit to the service department, post it here.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 01:05 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Re: Deceleration Hum

Quote:
FJtest previously said: View Post
When you performed your "wheels spin freely" test, you removed all four front brake pads, right?

Very rarely do worn & noisy wheel bearings affect the "free-spinning" characteristic of a wheel hub unless the bearing is literally disintegrating.

If the bearing had enough internal friction (with no load on it) to obviously affect wheel drag when spun by hand, the bearing would be literally smoking after an hour on the freeway at 65 MPH.

I think it's unlikely that your front wheel bearing has gone bad at 57K miles unless it has somehow been subjected to extremely severe abuse.

If you didn't pull the pads the first time, I'd remove the wheel again, pull the pads, and repeat your "spins freely/listen for noise & roughness"" test before going through all the effort and expense of replacing the wheel bearing, which is not a trivial job on the FJ. You know that the wheel bearing is press-fitted into the steering knuckle, right?
I don't think the noise I am experiencing is not brake pad related. I will be replacing the entire assembly, so no press fitting needed. Maybe my analysis is wrong, but I will post up if it fixes the issue or not.

2010 FJ Cruiser TT
2018 Subaru WRX STI
1999 Dakota R/T
1996 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin Turbo
M1102 Expo Trailer
2019 Luna Rover

FJ Build Thread:
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...tts-build.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 01:46 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 1410 Post(s)

Quote:
Texas TT previously said: View Post
I don't think the noise I am experiencing is not brake pad related. I will be replacing the entire assembly, so no press fitting needed. Maybe my analysis is wrong, but I will post up if it fixes the issue or not.
So you did not remove the brake pads when you performed your "spinning wheel drag test", comparing the spin-down rate of the RH and LH front wheels?

I didn't say that brake pads were the source of the noise, I said that the drag of the brake pads (if you didn't remove them) would have likely masked any "friction" originating in the bearings.

Also, in your earlier post you stated that you ordered a new wheel bearing and a "new hub". Is the hub damaged? If not, why replace it? You know that the wheel bearing is in the steering knuckle, and not in the hub, right? And that to replace the wheel bearing you have to remove the entire steering knuckle. Once the steering knuckle is removed from the vehicle it is possible to R&R the bearing, but it does require the use of a 25 or 50 ton hydraulic press to remove the old and install the new bearing.

(I'm assuming that yours is a 4WD model? The 2WD is slightly different.)
funknut likes this.
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 05:45 PM
Forum Veteran

Quote:
FJtest previously said: View Post
So you did not remove the brake pads when you performed your "spinning wheel drag test", comparing the spin-down rate of the RH and LH front wheels?

I didn't say that brake pads were the source of the noise, I said that the drag of the brake pads (if you didn't remove them) would have likely masked any "friction" originating in the bearings.

Also, in your earlier post you stated that you ordered a new wheel bearing and a "new hub". Is the hub damaged? If not, why replace it? You know that the wheel bearing is in the steering knuckle, and not in the hub, right? And that to replace the wheel bearing you have to remove the entire steering knuckle. Once the steering knuckle is removed from the vehicle it is possible to R&R the bearing, but it does require the use of a 25 or 50 ton hydraulic press to remove the old and install the new bearing.

(I'm assuming that yours is a 4WD model? The 2WD is slightly different.)
No I did not remove the pads. The 'test' I did was something I had seen done before on a truck with a bad front bearing.

I am the entire unit with one of these:
Blue Pit Bearings | 2003-2014 TOYOTA & LEXUS 4X4 and 4X2 COMPLETE FRONT HUB WHEEL BEARING ASSEMBLIES

I just want to do everything because my time is limited. This will save me from running around getting stuff pressed. I also don't want to disassemble the unit and find out I need more parts. It costs more to go this route, but makes life easier and frees up my driveway faster.

If the weather cooperates I will have it swapped out this weekend.

2010 FJ Cruiser TT
2018 Subaru WRX STI
1999 Dakota R/T
M1102 Expo Trailer
2019 Luna Rover

FJ Build Thread:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 08:21 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Texas TT previously said: View Post
No I did not remove the pads. The 'test' I did was something I had seen done before on a truck with a bad front bearing.

I am the entire unit with one of these:
Blue Pit Bearings | 2003-2014 TOYOTA & LEXUS 4X4 and 4X2 COMPLETE FRONT HUB WHEEL BEARING ASSEMBLIES

I just want to do everything because my time is limited. This will save me from running around getting stuff pressed. I also don't want to disassemble the unit and find out I need more parts. It costs more to go this route, but makes life easier and frees up my driveway faster.

If the weather cooperates I will have it swapped out this weekend.
For future reference is this the same thing? Parts - midstatesoffroad

Just making sure I understand, in case I need to replace one of these in the future.

2007 Titanium FJ Cruiser
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 09:14 PM
Forum Veteran

Quote:
WebSnyper previously said: View Post
For future reference is this the same thing? Parts - midstatesoffroad

Just making sure I understand, in case I need to replace one of these in the future.
It is the same basic part. The countries of origin of some of the components are different.

2010 FJ Cruiser TT
2018 Subaru WRX STI
1999 Dakota R/T
M1102 Expo Trailer
2019 Luna Rover

FJ Build Thread:
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 09:33 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 87 Post(s)

check your rear diff seals - see if theres any leakage by your tires

sounds like what mine was doing & a swap (or a rebuild) fixed it
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 10:10 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 1410 Post(s)

Texas TT -

OK, now I see exactly what you intend to do. You're replacing the entire hub/bearing/bearing housing module as a unit, and not just the wheel bearing. You won't need to press anything in or out if you replace the whole module.

I was incorrect in saying that the bearing was pressed into the steering knuckle. There are actually a pair of tapered roller bearings pressed into the hub/bearing/bearing housing module, and that can be replaced as a complete module pretty easily.
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 06:38 AM
Forum Master

Quoted: 75 Post(s)

My rear diff makes a whirring sound when decelerating around 60mph.
Mine is a a 2013 with 22k miles.

Other cars will get you somewhere, but a Land Cruiser will always get you home.
2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2017 Ford Mustang GT/CS
2015 Ducati Monster 1200
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Forum Master

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Interestingly, now that the weather has warmed up about 30 degrees (it is 20F degrees this morning), the noise is nearly non-existent. In fact if I hadn't been listening for it I probably wouldn't have even noticed it today. Trying to figure out what this means...

Steve in MN, sponsored by Blue Sun Corporation
2010 FJ, now with exciting grill and shifter knob mods

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 07:27 AM
Forum Veteran

Replacing the bearing assembly seems to have fixed my issue. I have been driving around for a week or so and all I hear is (normal) tire noise now.

I also had to replace a tie rod on that side as the boot was ruptured. This also required that I get an alignment. It don't remember it, but it could be that I tagged that wheel off pavement in the past.

It was not hard to replace the entire bearing/hub unit. Probably less than an hour if you were just replacing this. The only special tool needed is that giant socket for the spindle nut.

2010 FJ Cruiser TT
2018 Subaru WRX STI
1999 Dakota R/T
M1102 Expo Trailer
2019 Luna Rover

FJ Build Thread:

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in