Deceleration Hum - Page 4 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Problems / Dealer Service If you are having a problem with your FJ or want to discuss a visit to the service department, post it here.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Forum Master

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Re: Deceleration Hum

Interesting. Our weather has continued warm (by our standards) and the noise is 95% gone. Still trying to figure out what could be that affected by temp. I wouldn't think a wheel bearing noise would vary much with temp. I am going to keep monitoring it for now.

Steve in MN, sponsored by Blue Sun Corporation
2010 FJ, now with exciting grill and shifter knob mods

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 07:16 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)

I guess I spoke too soon, turns out I was wrong. My noise came back the first time I went in and out of 4x4. In 4x4 it made no noise, in 4x2 it was back with a vengeance.

At this point I was pretty sure it is powertrain related, so I took it to the dealer (I have about 1800 miles left on the powertrain warranty). After looking at it for 4 hours, they tried to tell me this bearing nose was due to a bad bushing on the lower control arm. They also found a leak in my Icon strut. I told them (again) to put it on the lift and rotate the wheel by hand and listen. I also reminded them that the wheel bearing had been replaced. 10 minutes later the diagnosis was a bad bearing in the transfer case.

I donít think they were being deceptive, just a breakdown of communication somewhere.

At this point the service writer got the manual out of my glove box and took it into his managerís office. I think they may have been looking over the service record for gear oil changes. (The dealer changed it once and I had changed it at least once, thank goodness I made note of that.) I donít fault them for this, just due diligence on their part.

So the wheel bearing was not the cause of my issue, but if the dealer tried to replace that first (it is a very similar noise) then it probably saved me time and money in the long run.

The transfer case is on national backorder, so I am not sure when this will all get fixed. They still need to get back with me on the cost to fix the suspension stuff. I left the truck with them.

So I have learned: do as much of the work as possible yourself, keep records, take the truck in if it looks like a warranty item.

2010 FJ Cruiser TT
2018 Subaru WRX STI
1999 Dakota R/T
1996 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin Turbo
M1102 Expo Trailer
2019 Luna Rover

FJ Build Thread:
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...tts-build.html
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Forum Master

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Thanks for following up. I wish I could hear your hum to see if it is the same as mine.

Can't they replace the bearing without replacing the whole t-case?

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Forum Master

Garage
(Thread Starter)

The noise has persisted, so I finally took it in to the dealer today. The services manager went for a test drive with me. I was paranoid they would play dumb and claim they couldn't hear it, but he said he could hear it right away. He did some swerving, more violently than I had tried, and the change in the sound was apparent. He diagnosed it as the left front wheel bearing.

It seems a bit early for a wheel bearing at 50K, even if it is a 2010, but I am just glad it has been diagnosed and wasn't a figment of my imagination.

post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 07:15 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 161 Post(s)

Thanks for the update. Glad they found it. Hopefully your front wheel bearing going out at 50,000 miles is just a fluke.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in