Oil change gone bad - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Problems / Dealer Service If you are having a problem with your FJ or want to discuss a visit to the service department, post it here.

51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 05:45 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Re: Oil change gone bad

Having gotten oil changes in the middle of road trips at non-national chains, I can only imagine if this occurred after....All you have is a receipt and an hour out ext with no real support other than AAA. Oil and the repercussions of a complete drain have always scared me, it can cause the total loss of an engine. It's not something you want to mess around with. The technicians should know the consequences can be catastrophic to the life of the vehicle, they should care rather.

- 2005 Dodge Dakota SLT 4x4 -
- 2008 Trail Team FJ Cruiser - Sold
- 2001 4Runner 4x4 - Sold
- 2011 Chevy Volt - Sold
- 2012 Honda Insight - Sold
- 2006 Honda Ridgeline - Traded In
- 1998 Honda Prelude - Junked
- 1997 Volvo S70 - Sold / Junked
- 2005 Nissan Maxima - Traded In
- 2002 Subaru Outback - Traded In
- 1998 4x4 Chevy Tahoe - Sold
- 1991 Chevy 2500 - Sold

....First Car? 1983 Plymouth Horizon / Dodge Omni
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 06:24 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Garage

Kudos to the dealer, but I also congrat you for your handling it correctly.
Always make them accoutable. Let them pick the truck up with the roll back so that everything is done properly and documented.

Perfect example on how it should be handled by both parties.
Codger likes this.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 06:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I've had my own experience with poor quality control by the dealer. On my last free oil change at the dealer they put the wrong filer in the canister so all of the oil was in bypass. I found this out when I did my first oil change, luckily I only go five thousand miles between changes, but I'm still very upset. My dealer was very sorry as well and are going to run oil analysis on the next few changes for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Thorn661 previously said: View Post
Agreed, and sounds like the dealer handled the situation very well also. With that said it's these posts that prompted me to start changing my own oil, the FJ does have a convoluted oil change design and even a Toyota tech can miss a thing or two.

Great catch Codger!
I do change oil on every other vehicle I own except the FJC. It was so easy to continue using the dealer after warranty & free oil changes ran out, plus removing the skids is an aggravation. The jury's still out on whether I start changing the oil myself; I'm leaning toward continuing with this dealership just to continue building good will.
Thorn661 and Loganbeere like this.

Summit-X Imogene Pass road

TLCA 23205, STLCA, SFWDA
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Patriots previously said: View Post
Having gotten oil changes in the middle of road trips at non-national chains, I can only imagine if this occurred after....All you have is a receipt and an hour out ext with no real support other than AAA. Oil and the repercussions of a complete drain have always scared me, it can cause the total loss of an engine. It's not something you want to mess around with. The technicians should know the consequences can be catastrophic to the life of the vehicle, they should care rather.
That's a scary thought and your points are well taken. From this point on I will not take an oil change for granted, but will be looking under the FJC more than once following the service.

TLCA 23205, STLCA, SFWDA
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 07:30 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Mistakes will happen, but its a good organization will own up to them.
Codger and luk4mud like this.

~ Dutch
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 08:01 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Garage

I'm so glad this story didn't end with a seized engine!
Codger likes this.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 08:15 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 831 Post(s)

Well handled Codger. So smart to have the flat bed come and have the manager measure the oil at the shop. They should have had dancing girls come out and clean the drive.

I'm still not a fan of the cartridge filters. And yes, removing skids each time is a hassle. If I were you I would cut an access hole in your skid. Any decent welder could do this and weld tabs to the piece removed so it could be easily replaced.

Agreed that everyone makes mistakes, but good hell, a trained Toyota tech botching a routine oil change. That's pretty bad. Besides the dancing gals, they should have offered another year of free changes.

Again, you're a class act and I'm happy it all worked out fine in the end.

All that being said..........

Now, I'm not a tech, I've been the only one to change the oil in any of my bikes and rigs for decades. Before a 9 day trip to the lake I wanted to change the oil in my Ford. The big 460 gas engine took 6 quarts. It was dark, I was tired and running behind. I drained it, spun on a new filter, and dumped 6 fresh quarts of Mobil One down the hatch. I left the funnel in there to get every last drop. After a while I came back to get the funnel and noticed 6 quarts of fresh oil running down my very new, very steep, long concrete drive. At the bottom it made a sharp left turn at the gutter and was well on it's way to my buddies house. The drain plug, with a freshly installed crush washer was sitting on my rag, right where I placed it. (I always have a rag handy, I meticulously wipe any drips from the bottom of the oil pan and filter when done, lol).

Moral of the story. idiot lights don't always work. Triple check every time!!!

Last edited by Moab Junky; 03-10-2016 at 08:19 AM.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 08:25 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

That's why no one but me touches my truck . My friend had his oil changed by the dealer in Dallas & his wife didn't notice the leak & seized the engine. Glad you caught it early and didn't leave on a trip & get the low oil light.

[SIGPIC]07 Sun fusion MT 887X OME Bilstein 5100 TRD short throw shifter Overhead console MOD TRD intake, ARB front & red eye rear bumpers Flow master CAT back EXH 9500 Engo Winch Demello Hybrid sliders Snorkel lefty T case
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-10-2016, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Moab Junky previously said: View Post
Well handled Codger. So smart to have the flat bed come and have the manager measure the oil at the shop. They should have had dancing girls come out and clean the drive.

I'm still not a fan of the cartridge filters. And yes, removing skids each time is a hassle. If I were you I would cut an access hole in your skid. Any decent welder could do this and weld tabs to the piece removed so it could be easily replaced.

Agreed that everyone makes mistakes, but good hell, a trained Toyota tech botching a routine oil change. That's pretty bad. Besides the dancing gals, they should have offered another year of free changes.

Again, you're a class act and I'm happy it all worked out fine in the end.

All that being said..........

Now, I'm not a tech, I've been the only one to change the oil in any of my bikes and rigs for decades. Before a 9 day trip to the lake I wanted to change the oil in my Ford. The big 460 gas engine took 6 quarts. It was dark, I was tired and running behind. I drained it, spun on a new filter, and dumped 6 fresh quarts of Mobil One down the hatch. I left the funnel in there to get every last drop. After a while I came back to get the funnel and noticed 6 quarts of fresh oil running down my very new, very steep, long concrete drive. At the bottom it made a sharp left turn at the gutter and was well on it's way to my buddies house. The drain plug, with a freshly installed crush washer was sitting on my rag, right where I placed it. (I always have a rag handy, I meticulously wipe any drips from the bottom of the oil pan and filter when done, lol).

Moral of the story. idiot lights don't always work. Triple check every time!!!
Goes to show we're all human and will make a mistake some time or other. These service techs can change oil with their eyes closed, but its in the routine we lose focus of the task and then bam! I thought about the times I have left the oil fill cap laying on the breather cover, or the dipstick out of the tube. Your point is well taken, and a great habit to develop - Triple check every time!
gaylonw and gearwrench like this.

TLCA 23205, STLCA, SFWDA

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in