blown rear diff! - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Problems / Dealer Service If you are having a problem with your FJ or want to discuss a visit to the service department, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 08:56 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: blown rear diff!

I was one of 3 blown rear diffs on last years Hell's Revenge run with the trail team (FJCC Moab Mayhem).

It was on the weekend.....we got the runaround on the phone.....Just like you.

We picked up a U-haul truck, and a trailer (Technically the FJ is too heavy, but say it is a tacoma truck and you will be cool) and towed it to Tucson.

The dealer was cool about it, replace the third member and said to contact corporate about the "tow" bill.

At first they said no go, it was not a tow truck, and not to the nearest dealer.

I kept on them and they finally caved in and offered to pay $300.00 as a "Goodwill" measure.

A few more phone calls, and a few weeks went by, and they decided to cover the whole bill $854.00

As long as you were not abusing it, and be SURE the dealer you go to does not write that down. (Call first and make sure the service writer WANTS your business.)
If the word abuse gets in there and it is denied, they will swear to it all the way to the top. You will be out the tow bill, and the repair.

Good luck, I think Moab Offroad needs to stock FJ third members!

SonicFJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 09:33 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

I agree with what Sean was saying, pull the 3rd member and take out the ring gear only. Had my rear diff crater also and pulled the ring gear to drive 200 miles home. Worked out fine and had no issues getting home. Everything still turns, but the rear obviously does not get any power and only have front wheel drive in 4HI. Takes 3 quarts of the gear oil after removing the ring gear.

2007 FJC
1972 FJ40
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Athena Send a message via MSN to Athena Send a message via Yahoo to Athena
(Thread Starter)

thanks guys for all the help... we got some what of a plan with our other buddy from co who had the same problemo...worst case scenario we split the bills until reimbursed.

Intergalactic Planetary Invader of FJ Interwebz ~ EVIL TRUNK MONKEY

silly boy, gonna make you cry

^^^click it.. you know you wanna

"... I don't know if I could kill someone with a frozen turkey because that is a lot of evidence to eat .... unless I found a whole room of people who also wanted that person dead ..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 12:54 PM
Forum Veteran

Send a message via Yahoo to kbjames

I had mine go on Sunday at Moab as well...but didn't notice until after I was off the trail.

In light of what was said here, I drove it home to SLC but am claiming my ignorance on that dumb decision because I wasn't exactly sure what the problem was in the 1st place. Regardless I did make it home and took it down to the dealership today and they confirmed its likely the Rear Diff, but have not heard back yet.

2007 Silver MT:
TRD Exhaust, 3" OME lift, 17 inch wheels, 33" Toyo AT Tires, E-Locker, Demello Tube Sliders, All-Pro Skids for: IFS, Tranny, Transfer-Case, and Lower Control Arm mounts.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 02:21 PM
Forum Superstar

Maybe too late, but,,,,

See if the forum members have any good dealers in the area. It seems to me some dealers are understanding and repair things under warranty and then other dealers do NOT like to do anything under warranty.

I know in our Tampa Bay area there is only one dealer who is helpful to us 4x4 people. We know that they treat us fairly, and that is all we really ask. Other dealers in the Tampa Bay area will try and screw with us for everything.

Hopefully there is a good dealer near.

---
PaulThePhotographer
WonderfulPhotography
-
-
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When you come to the fork in the road, go straight!

PaulThePhotographer's Blog

FJCruisersFlorida Forum!

Facebook Group "FJCruisersFlorida
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Athena Send a message via MSN to Athena Send a message via Yahoo to Athena
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
PaulThePhotographer previously said: View Post
Maybe too late, but,,,,

See if the forum members have any good dealers in the area. It seems to me some dealers are understanding and repair things under warranty and then other dealers do NOT like to do anything under warranty.

I know in our Tampa Bay area there is only one dealer who is helpful to us 4x4 people. We know that they treat us fairly, and that is all we really ask. Other dealers in the Tampa Bay area will try and screw with us for everything.

Hopefully there is a good dealer near.
From what I've learned with this experience...it seriously is the dealerships disgretion. The first dealership we called, the first question they asked "were you 4 wheeling?" we knew right there, to not waste our time. I think we left Fa~jay~jay at the right dealership...

"... I don't know if I could kill someone with a frozen turkey because that is a lot of evidence to eat .... unless I found a whole room of people who also wanted that person dead ..."
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 09:25 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Wink Re: blown rear diff!

Quote:
athenaceleste previously said: View Post
From what I've learned with this experience...it seriously is the dealerships disgretion. The first dealership we called, the first question they asked "were you 4 wheeling?" we knew right there, to not waste our time. I think we left Fa~jay~jay at the right dealership...
That first dealer is a lot like most of the dealers in San Diego, CA and I'm sure all over the US. IF you market this FJ as a Four Wheeler why they FUDGE are you going to ask us this stupid question!>?!?!??! IT drives me fugging crazy. No Mr. dumb ass Dealer, I was driving up my driveway in my grocery getter.

I can't take it!!!
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Garage
(Thread Starter)

the trail teams took their fj's to this specific dealership when they busted their diffs...but they "never heard of this problem" a-holes

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 10:21 AM
Forum Superstar

Garage

Any warranty work is going to be discretionary work at a dealership, to some degree (barring safety issues like seatbelts). You should be covered by the 5 yr/60K mile "powertrain" warranty which is separate from the general 3 yr/36K mile warranty. Dealerships don't make as much profit on a warranty job, so the more successful/bigger the dealership, the more they can "afford" to do warranty work.

The cost of a 3rd member is around $1200 + miscellaneous non reusable parts during the rebuild + 1/2 day of labor = YIKES!!

Best just to turn on the charm and act like they are doing you a favor. DO Not go in like you got some sort of bill of rights to cover you, especially if it is a dealership that you are not likely to go back to (out of town).

I had mine replaced last June as well as a friend of mine's who broke at the exact same time/spot. Then a few months later, a few more friends broke theirs and got the run-around. I honestly think mine got thru a lot smoother because of attitude and a sense of loyalty to one dealer. I took mine to my regular (oil changes & 15K/20K service) dealership for the warranty work and I believe they covered it because they valued my continuing loyalty and I didn't pitch a fit.

We also figured out that at least in the SET region, that once you get denied for offroad abuse at a dealership, no other dealer (in that region) will warranty the work.

Rick C ~ ~ I aim to misbehave. 2007 GSJ15//Ti Ag//4WD AT
My garage
Build Thread
Where Do You Want to Take Your Truck?

Upstate Cruisers
LcLC, GA Cruisers, SFC, ONSC, STLCA - guilt by association
TLCA #16667
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Garage
(Thread Starter)

this is all very very true... I'm putting my faith in the dealership that supports the Colorado Fjr's, I know they're trying to make it an "offroad friendly" service dept. they've already helped me out on an issue that was questionable

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in