Faint loose metal squeaky noise - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Problems / Dealer Service If you are having a problem with your FJ or want to discuss a visit to the service department, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Unhappy Faint loose metal squeaky noise

Hello,

I've just recently hit about 113k miles on my FJ (Huzzah!) Thankfully no major problems and am very happy with my rig.

However I started noticing around 100k miles a faint squeaky metal noise that sounds like it is coming from my front left wheel.

I noticed that it only occurs while the wheel is in motion and I am driving, not when I am stopped. Also I noticed that it occurs even if applying the brakes. It is the first time I am actually stumped and cannot tell what the noise is?? I am assuming it is something to do with my front left wheel or front left suspension, and also it took me a while to notice because if I am driving alongside a tall wall it makes it very noticeable as the noise bounces off the wall and right to the driver side window.

It sounds just like a faint metal squeaky kind of noise, it almost sounds like a spindle or something kind of like a thing metal barely touching something while it's moving but choppy and inconsistent. I am not sure if it may be suspension related or may be an issue with my wheel?

It's been making me go crazy wondering what the heck it is. Any ideas on how to narrow down the cause are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 04:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Faint loose metal squeaky noise

If you have skid plates pull them off and clean every thing up and reinstall. Had this happen to me, thought it was the lower control arms, but no it was the skid plate.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 01:57 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to MattM Send a message via Skype™ to MattM

Check the top shock mount bolts. I had a loose one with the exact symptoms you describe.

- Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

So I removed the skid and honestly I can kind of tell from the noise it's not the skid plate although I took it off just in case. I used to have skid plate squeaks so I know the type of noise that makes. It's more obvious with the skids. This one sounds like it's specifically coming from my suspension but it's really faint, it almost sounds like its coming from the tire. It has been happening the past about 10k - 15k miles now.

I also checked the top shock mount bolts on both sides and honestly everything looked tightened down to me. I noticed over small speed bumps it definitely is distinct and noticeable. It almost sounds like a tiny screw is sort of loose or something and intermittently squeaking. It never goes away although it has gotten a little bit worse over the past year.

Is there anything else you guys can think of that can be causing the noise??
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 06:54 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

My sway bar links when worn out make noise, more like a popping noise that a squeak though. Recently my UCA ball joint was going bad and it would squeak when going over bumps or applying the brakes. I would check those two first, otherwise it could be the wheel bearing or possibly the lower ball joint. If you jack the wheel off the ground and "pull" the tire back and forth at 6 and 12 o'clock if it rocks it could indicate an upper/lower ball joint going bad, or a bad bearing. If you drive for a fair distance put your hand on the wheel and see if its hot, that will tell you if the bearing is going bad also.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Thank you for the advice. I am definitely going to be taking a closer look at literally everything under my car to see if I can find the culprit. If not I fear I may have to take it into a shop to take a look at and hopefully figure it out. I already took it to one shop but they didnt really care and never found the issue.

I'll post my findings as soon as I figure out what's going on. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions I'm going to be trying everything.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Not perhaps the brake pad anti-rattle clip or something caught up in the calipers?

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in