Wet Seatbelt Problem...Leak in Door? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Problems / Dealer Service If you are having a problem with your FJ or want to discuss a visit to the service department, post it here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Wet Seatbelt Problem...Leak in Door?

I've had my 08 FJ for 2 months. After 2 heavy rains, I've noticed the front/passenger seat belt is drenched...apparently water leaks down into the door. My FJ is at the dealership right now...they "cannot duplicate the condition" and don't see a problem. They checked the roof rack and weatherstripping... Anyone have the same problem?? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2008, 02:32 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Wet Seatbelt Problem...Leak in Door?

There have been a few posts about this very problem. I know you say they already checked the weatherstripping, but there is at least one member here who had to have the repair done more than once to get it fixed.

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...lem-fixed.html
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...seat-belt.html

Good luck. Hopefully the dealer will be able to get it taken care of for you.

-Jen (Imperial AT-FJ's "mod assistant")
TOTALED (rolled)07 Voodoo 6MT--Icon 3" suspension setup, Nitto Terra Grapplers (285/70/17), ARB Bull Bar, Safari Snorkel, Big Bill Combo w/ 3' Firestick, Wet Okole seat covers, Nuvi 660, M-PAC side rack, Rasta skids, '08 side visor mod, 3 additional 12V outlets installed, M. Schrader roofrack flag mount clamp, ScanGauge II, SCUBA mod, A-TRAC hacked, Springtail cargo barrier, Sonoran Steel rear lower links.

Started over- 07 Voodoo 6MT--pretty much stock
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Macleod- Thanks for taking the time to respond to my note...and linking me to the related Posts...it was very helpful! As soon as I read them I called the dealer and asked them to replace the weatherstripping on the rt. clamshell door. After a bit, they said they finally "duplicated the conditions" (physically saw the leak)... and ordered the weatherstripping. They had my FJ for 3 days. I'm waiting for a heavy rain to verify that the seatbelts stay dry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2008, 07:46 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

the 07 has a TSB for water leaking at rear doors not sure it includes 08.

Sponge Bob 2007 Sun Fusion , All Pro front winch bumper w/light hoop, 16 TRD Wheels, 285/75r16 BFG A/T ko's, OME 3" lift 885 front 895 rear, ARB Roof Rack with 2 IPF 868 Light Kits up front, KC Back Up flood lights in rear,Bud Built skid plates, Trail Gear rock rails, Hella horns, PIAA Headlights, PIAA Dome lights, PIAA Back up light, MPAC side HD rack, MPAC Straddle, MPAC rear door HD rack, Gobi ladder, Cobra 75 WXST CB, more mods to come. TLCA #3970

TOYOTA LAND CRUISER world's toughest all purpose 4-wheel-drive vehicle! You can follow me but it's gonna HURT!!

www.spongebobsadventures.shutterfly.com

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-15-2008, 04:45 PM
Forum Regular

I just dropped mine off for the same problem. '08, 07/08 build date.

And after reading other posts... it kinda chaps my a** that I am having this problem after people had to have it fixed in '06.

Did anyone get their dealships to do anything about water damage?
In case there is premature rust, etc in the door or the belt, seat or headliner start to smell after the water?

Last edited by Keep35; 12-15-2008 at 04:53 PM. Reason: more to say
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 03:21 PM

had my 07 fixed for water leaking too, now here is the update. I had a passenger in the car(rare for me) seat belt would not retract. upon opening the door panel and checking the mechanism guess what it is rusted solid. talked to Toyota, they are not going to warranty it. REALLY??? Yeah those two are not directly related lol. By the way it leaks like a sieve still all the weather strip update does is change the waters location in stead of falling directly on the actual seat belt material, it now falls about a 1/2 to the left right on the clock spring(retract) mechanism, I guess I do not have to say what the inside bottom of the door looks like. curious, take your door panel off and wash your car, it will be soaked updated weather stripping or not.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in