Dealerships Aren't Bad! - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Problems / Dealer Service If you are having a problem with your FJ or want to discuss a visit to the service department, post it here.

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 06:47 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Dealerships Aren't Bad!

Must be lucky. My local ‘yoda dealer and service department are awesome. Have been buying and taking vehicles to them for many years and have always treated me right. Always have a loaner if I need to drop a vehicle, always find me discounts and are actually cheaper than the local shops. Covered a rack replacement in my RX long over mileage and years because they felt it shouldn’t have failed.
I wrench on my own stuff but all services go through the dealer and are documented. I pick and choose what I have them do and they always work with me. Had a spare axle laying around that needed new boots. Bought the rebuild kit, dropped it off and they charged me next to nothing to fix it up. Some of the stories so far are horrific and I can’t imagine not having a local dealer one can’t trust.
jamesepoop likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 07:12 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)

I have had some good and some bad relationships with Dealerships....MB dealership had me replace my transmission for a mere $4000++...when all I needed was a throttle sensor..which I kind of mentioned when I brought the car in..a little upset when I went to turn between a break in oncoming traffic and my car just stopped in the opposite lane...
Traded my Benz for my first FJ Cruiser...Toyota of Turnersville (NJ) has taken care of both since 2007...No complaints...Like the man said I can always refuse what they are peddling..like repairs that I can do....
ZerosFJ likes this.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 01:44 PM
Admin

Mentioned: 174 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2441 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

One of many personal stories....

I take the FJ in for a malfunctioning ADD....

A day or 2 later they say come get your FJ... we have to order parts.
The guy behind the counter then proceeds to tell me they have to replace the whole dash because they think it's the 4wd light that is malfunctioning.
The LIGHT!

The service manager then calls me a few days later and asks me to bring it in again for a second opinion. He says there haven't been ANY FJ's that have required the whole dash to be replaced so he thinks it may be a wrong assessment.
I take him for a test drive and have to show him that the 4wd isn't working.

They eventually then change out the ADD and ECU.

Once the warranty on the FJ ran out... I never returned.
jamesepoop and JWSGA like this.

Suck it up... it's only -40

2008 FJ Trail Teams
ARB Front; Exp1 rear STC; Apex rocksliders; Lightforce on front bumper; ARB Full Rack w/Grid; ; Icon Susp w/cdc; magnaflow muffler (mashed the original); Engo 12000S winch; 285/75/16 Duratracs; Ricochet skids, Uniden PC78 Elite CB (ch 16 typically, ch 19 on the hwy)

"Don't drive angry".... BFM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Garage

Back in the dark ages I had a 1980 VW Jetta.
The stereo got stolen and the dash pretty torn up so I took it to a now defunct VW dealership for them to sort it out and replace the Blaupunct.
Well they replaced the radio, tidied up the dash wiring but somehow missed the fact the electric fan would not come on when the temps got too high.
And then denied it was their fault after it overheated the day I picked it up.

​49. Not allowed to trade military equipment for “magic beans”.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 04:58 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

I never hate on service advisors who upsell. I get the constraints they are under.
Drcoffee likes this.

2014 TTUE...just keeping her stock
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 07:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I totally agree with your statement that NOT all advisors are not bad... The last place I lived, the dealership was so good I took my girlfriends car there as well as my Toyota Tacoma and Ford Mustang.

Where I live now, it only took one oil change for me to decide never to step foot back into that place and when I hear their ads on the radio I change the station.

Issue was simple. I am waiting for my oil change when the service writer walks up with a dirty cabin air filter on my truck. Says that the quick lane is almost finished but advised the cabin air filter is in dire need of changing. He hands me the filter and I agree, the filter he showed me was NASTY! Pieces of leaves, pine pollen, even part of a bird feather. He said he could do it for..... $ 35 bucks!

I passed and said let me think about it.

As I went to check out (with him, not the cashier) my truck rolled up. This cabin air filter issue really got to me. Too my right was the service department managers office. Before I put my credit card in at the service writer's desk, I excused myself and motioned for the Service Department Manager to come on over. I introduced myself as being a long time Toyota owner but first time at this Dealership. He was friendly, and we chatted a second. The service writer was overhearing this conversation. Then I asked both to step outside to my truck, that I had something to show them. As we walked I asked the service writer what did he quote me for the cabin air filter replacement. He said $ 35 bucks and said that included .25 hours of mechanic time (they get $125/hr= $35.25) so I asked "so the actual filter only costs $3.75?" The service writer says "apparently so".

About that time I flipped down the door on the glove box, flipped the small access panel down, pulled the existing cabin air filter out and showed it to both of them. The service manager looked at me, wondering where I was going with all this. Then he turned it around. He saw the brand Bosch on one side and the date that I INSTALLED it, which was only 4 days ago!!! I looked at the service writer and asked "where is the filter that YOU said came out of my truck, the one that you brought into the waiting room." That is when the excuses started coming out.

The service manager looked at the service writer and said for him to go back inside and that he would take care of this. The service manager apologized and said that he would look into this matter. I asked "how many other people do you think your service writer does this to daily, especially older, unsuspecting and un- knowledgeable? People bring their cars to dealerships because you are supposed to be better than the shade tree or the independent garages out there. People are supposed to trust you." He asked, "what did I want to happen". I didn't answer. I just shook my head. That is when he handed me his card and said "this oil change is on me". If he said anything else to service writer, I don't know about it. One thing is for certain, if one service writer does that at a dealership that works on commission of what he sells, there is another service writer at the same dealership that is doing it, too.

I am sure that you are the exception to the rule. I am sure that you have a great client following, take pride in your work, are responsible, are a good employee. I thank you for that. It is always great to look forward to spending hard earned money at a place you feel good about doing business with. One thing that I have learned in life, business life especially, is that people WANT to do business with this that they like and trust. If you were closer, I'd take my business to you.

Thanks for letting me rant while I try to find another dealer to where I now live and a service advisor that I trust.
Drcoffee likes this.

Last edited by JWSGA; 09-30-2018 at 07:33 AM. Reason: typo
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 12:59 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 129 Post(s)

If thats all they screwed you on, feel fortunate. Its the check engine light that comes on a month later that costs big bucks. Did they refill the oil with the right amount or weight? Some exhaust CAT related codes take 100 miles to trigger. We affectionately call them STEALERSHIPS for a very good reason.

But if you cant wrench, you cant wrench and you put yourself at the mercy of whoever you leave your vehicle with.

What makes me curious though is why the OP would even bring this topic up. Its a losing discussion for the pro dealer debater.

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
-- Pres. George Washington

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in