Bad Smell - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Problems / Dealer Service If you are having a problem with your FJ or want to discuss a visit to the service department, post it here.

10Likes
  • 3 Post By mikey
  • 3 Post By Lady in Red
  • 4 Post By Lady in Red

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Garage
(Thread Starter)
Bad Smell

I took my FJ into the Toyota dealer last fall to have some regular maintenance (45K miles) done before a trip; rear & front diff services, service transfer case, brake flush & new fluid, new power steering fluid, oil change & filter, tires rotated & fuel injection service. Ever since this service I smell gas or something burning every time I roll down any window when the FJ is going uphill or on the freeway, don't smell it when the windows are closed. Did a power wash on the engine but no change. FJ is stored in the garage and there are no leaks. Have taken the FJ back to the dealer twice and to another Toyota dealer and they can't find out what is making the smell. Called Toyota HQ in Dallas and they recommended taking it to an outside shop. Unless the FJ is under warranty they don't want to be involved. FJ is now at a third party shop undergoing diagnostics. FJ was perfect before I took it to the Toyota dealer for service and now I rarely drive it because of the smell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 11:59 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1425 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Bad Smell

Could be excess grease from the u-joints being flung around the underside and hitting the exhaust.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 04:37 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)

OP posted about this in December here: Surprised it is still going on.

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...n-driving.html

How many miles/hours have you put on it since you first reported the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Garage
(Thread Starter)

Got the results back from the third party shop and they said my catalytic converts are fried (all 4 of them in the FJ) and that is why it smells and the gas mileage is bad now! The most likely cause was that the dealer improperly flushed the fuel injectors. Harsh chemicals are used in the flush and if it is not done properly the chemicals can strip the microscopic platinum coating in the catalytic converters and ruin them. The third party shop also said that the federal government requires that all dealers warrant the catalytic converters for 8 years or 80,000 miles, so my 2012 FJ with 48K miles should be covered by the Toyota dealer! I took the FJ beck to the dealer with my third party report and that it should be under warranty. They called Toyota and confirmed the warranty but I have to take the FJ back in next week as they want to run the catalytic converters tests themselves, something they should have done after I took it back the first time!

I am so disappointed with Toyota for almost ruining my FJ. If they don't fix my FJ under the federal warranty I will take legal action. The cost to replace the catalytic converts is about $2500.
Sanderhawk, ZerosFJ and Thorn661 like this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 09:31 AM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
Lady in Red previously said: View Post
Got the results back from the third party shop and they said my catalytic converts are fried (all 4 of them in the FJ) and that is why it smells and the gas mileage is bad now! The most likely cause was that the dealer improperly flushed the fuel injectors. Harsh chemicals are used in the flush and if it is not done properly the chemicals can strip the microscopic platinum coating in the catalytic converters and ruin them. The third party shop also said that the federal government requires that all dealers warrant the catalytic converters for 8 years or 80,000 miles, so my 2012 FJ with 48K miles should be covered by the Toyota dealer! I took the FJ beck to the dealer with my third party report and that it should be under warranty. They called Toyota and confirmed the warranty but I have to take the FJ back in next week as they want to run the catalytic converters tests themselves, something they should have done after I took it back the first time!

I am so disappointed with Toyota for almost ruining my FJ. If they don't fix my FJ under the federal warranty I will take legal action. The cost to replace the catalytic converts is about $2500.
Maybe I am getting the wrong impression, but are you taking it back to the same Toyota dealer that may have caused the damage in the first place? Or are you having another dealer in the Co Springs area evaluate the damage/potential replacement of the catalytic converters?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Garage
(Thread Starter)

The dealership in the Springs did the initial service and said they didn't smell anything after taking it back twice to them. I'm now working with the dealership in Boulder for the repairs. The Boulder dealership agreed they did smell something wrong with the FJ.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 02:18 PM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
The dealership in the Springs did the initial service and said they didn't smell anything after taking it back twice to them. I'm now working with the dealership in Boulder for the repairs. The Boulder dealership agreed they did smell something wrong with the FJ.
OK good. Let us know the outcome and when you are ready you should name the dealer in the Springs that did the work.

Gotta say that I have never heard of such a thing happening from cleaning fuel injectors. Not saying it didnt, just that I have never read a thread about in in the 10 yrs Ive been hanging out on this forum. Sorry you are running into such a unique challenge with a low mileage FJ.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Garage
(Thread Starter)

I took the fJ back to the dealer in Boulder and met with their Master Tech (MT). The MT said that as a result of the fuel injection flush that carbon was released into my catalytic converters and that it will take me putting 5K to 7K miles on the car to burn off this carbon. Because my check engine light has not come on they think my converters are ok. So I'm supposed to drive the FJ for another year with this bad smell just in time for the catalytic converter warranty to run out. The diagnostic center says that if the catalytic converters were working well the temperature coming out should be higher than the temperature going in, which is the opposite case of my FJ. I am so disappointed with Toyota service. I am working with their headquarters in Dallas but I don't have much faith in them either.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 11:07 AM
Forum Beer Miester

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2015 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
I took the fJ back to the dealer in Boulder and met with their Master Tech (MT). The MT said that as a result of the fuel injection flush that carbon was released into my catalytic converters and that it will take me putting 5K to 7K miles on the car to burn off this carbon. Because my check engine light has not come on they think my converters are ok. So I'm supposed to drive the FJ for another year with this bad smell just in time for the catalytic converter warranty to run out. The diagnostic center says that if the catalytic converters were working well the temperature coming out should be higher than the temperature going in, which is the opposite case of my FJ. I am so disappointed with Toyota service. I am working with their headquarters in Dallas but I don't have much faith in them either.
@MadMike works directly for Toyota in Texas and could probably give some guidance on this but I don’t think he’s been on the forum in some time. Wish I would’ve gotten his number the last time I saw him at Jambo.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in