Car won't start after crash - what could be wrong? Pics inside... - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Problems / Dealer Service If you are having a problem with your FJ or want to discuss a visit to the service department, post it here.

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 08:25 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)
Re: Car won't start after crash - what could be wrong? Pics inside...

Does the FJ have an impact switch for the fuel pump? Several other vehicles that I've worked on or owned had this. It turns off the fuel pump after an impact in case a fuel line is damaged so that it won't contribute to a fire.

Okay I found this in the owners manual. If this switch activated it is self resetting. Turn the key off then back on, so this likely isn't the problem.
ZerosFJ likes this.

Last edited by rotorhed1; 07-04-2019 at 08:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 08:30 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1469 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to mikey
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
ZerosFJ previously said: View Post
That looks like a late MY as I don’t think anything earlier than 2013 had the emissions pump (front left of pic) If so I would think it is more than the superficial damage to have it ended up in auction rather than insurance repair (beyond economic cost) which would suggest the frame is bent or something expensive
Being at an auction does not mean it came from insurance. Could be a repo, from a tow company who sent it to recoup their money after not being claimed, could be a court ordered sale for a divorce....who knows.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calender says WTF

"It's not easy being Green"
Kermit the Frog
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
ZerosFJ previously said: View Post
That looks like a late MY as I don’t think anything earlier than 2013 had the emissions pump (front left of pic) If so I would think it is more than the superficial damage to have it ended up in auction rather than insurance repair (beyond economic cost) which would suggest the frame is bent or something expensive
Hi ZerosFJ,

Indeed this is a 2014 model, and it is being sold by USAA insurance company. Bent frame isn't an issue, as I can easily fix that with robot. I am more afraid of any possible physical damages to engine, gearbox or differential.
Right wheel seems to be in place, so I think there shouldn't be issues with axles, control arms etc..

Auction states the following:

Primary Damage: MECHANICAL
Secondary Damage: FRONT END

Nothing else.. so this is kind of blind bet for me, as I'll be importing this vehicle into another Country.

Can't decide what to do....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Do FJ's have a fuel pump shut off impact switch??
rotorhed1 likes this.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 10:15 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 960 Post(s)

Yes. I looked in my owners manual but is says that it resets by turning the key off, then back on.

But mine is an '07, so things may have changed on the later models.

Last edited by rotorhed1; 07-04-2019 at 10:17 AM.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 11:49 AM
Mean Time Moderator

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1396 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
limitless previously said: View Post
Hi ZerosFJ,

Indeed this is a 2014 model, and it is being sold by USAA insurance company. Bent frame isn't an issue, as I can easily fix that with robot. I am more afraid of any possible physical damages to engine, gearbox or differential.
Right wheel seems to be in place, so I think there shouldn't be issues with axles, control arms etc..

Auction states the following:

Primary Damage: MECHANICAL
Secondary Damage: FRONT END

Nothing else.. so this is kind of blind bet for me, as I'll be importing this vehicle into another Country.

Can't decide what to do....
Well only you can decide on that gamble and that depends on the price you have to pay for it. From the photo’s everything in the engine bay and the front drivetrain look straight except for the cover but its a bit like looking at an undamaged box full of china that you know got dropped....you've no idea what’s intact until you open the box...good luck!
Winterpeg likes this.

2014- FJC Cement "Eddystone" US spec personal import - mods in progress https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...eddystone.html
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 02:31 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Garage

Found this old post:
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...reply&p=444360
(post 6 of 8)

Might be related to air bag deployment?

Quote:
TCao previously said: View Post
T[B]he engine control module (ECM) located to the right of the passenger's glovebox controls the ignition relay and fuel pump relay. The factory electrical manual specifically mentions that the airbag sensor assembly transmits a signal to the ECM to shut off the fuel pump (p. 208)...
HTH?
D

Silver '11 FJ
Snorkel, CAI, dual battery, scuba mod, TRD suspension, up-graded brakes, LED lightbar, pushbar, EZ View mirror, rubber "shorty" ant., air comp., remote jumper cables, MaxTrax, hi-lift jack, Scangauge II, Fresnel lens, LEDs, Tuffy console, Frontrunner drawer, Springtail basket & rear rack, Chi-Town pwr rear window, nav. sys & various bling...
ready to install: 12.3" head unit, hidden winch, Switch-Pro panel, wheel flares.

'87 Grand National
resto-modding...
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 03:34 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)

Saw that too. Surprised it was totaled based on visual damage. And just because auction ends tomorrow, doesn’t mean it will sell. Have to see it in person. Not worth the risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

One Shot
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 06:04 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Hate to ask a stupid question. Is it a chipped key? I have keys that are not chipped that I use for backup to get into the vehicle. I have a chipped key hidden inside the car. The prior owner may have done something similar and given the insurance company the effing wrong key. Does it turn over but just not start? It may be as simple as finding a hidden key or getting a new key programmed.

It's hard to believe the damage is severe if the radiator is not even damaged. I just looked at mine, slapped a level on it an it definitely is not level. The picture may exaggerate the effect, especially if you were using a wide angle lens.

It is an auction. How much were you going to bid? If you can pick it up for a couple of thou, if you have the skills and have a place to work on it would be worth it. Also check for rust, total miles and stuff like that. Don't get fixated on just the visible damage.

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 06:24 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Car won't start after crash - what could be wrong? Pics inside...

It’s at 5600 with 12 hrs to go. And “may have a reserve price”. Doesn’t look like airbags deployed. And they have an OEM key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

One Shot

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Problems / Dealer Service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in