SoCal Fossil Run -- Friday, 11-23-07 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Socal Region Regional forum for the Southern California area.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
SoCal Fossil Run -- Friday, 11-23-07

Fossil Run

After feasting on turkey the day before, I'm taking a run with my daughter, Emilie to do some fossil hunting in the Latham Shale/Marble Mountain area near Amboy, CA. 11/23/07 Anyone interested in coming is welcome to tag along. PM me if you have an interest. It might be a fun thing to do with your kids. The agenda is to leave SoCal Metro area early AM (so we have a full day to play) and make the 2.5 (+/-) hour drive to Marble Mountain. Dig around looking for trilobite fossils in the shale for part of the morning, have a trail lunch, wheel around the area, maybe a little target practice for fun with .22's and then home in the evening.

The Latham Shale is a 60 feet thick formation formed by a tilted row of dark brown rocks. It is on BLM land and it's lawful to take invertebrate fossils that you may find. This area is not in the Mojave Preserve. It's SOUTH of I-40 - however the concept of treading lightly and treating the land with respect still applies.

Remains of trilobites, mostly cephalons (heads) and thorax segments are abundant. Slabs with complete specimens have been discovered by just splitting the shale found along the slope. The trilobite remains are mainly from the species Olenellus Clarki, animals that were more than 550 million years ago! The Latham Shale has also yielded other fossils, including some of the earliest articulate brachiopods (brachiopods with hinge teeth) known.

There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unaltered, to find the ways that you have changed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 10:41 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: SoCal Fossil Run -- Friday, 11-23-07

Wow I wish I could go... we won't be back until the next day. James misses his girlfriend; he's pretty messed up. He was saying , "sixteen isn't really that old"....

Last edited by Air2air; 11-15-2007 at 10:45 PM.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 11:12 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Nice. I saw this on that TV show California Gold:

Huell Howser Productions | California's Gold

I would go but I need to make sure my wife doesn't max out the plastic during Black Friday.

Smart of you to take your daughter away from the best shopping day of the year

Black Friday (shopping - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

2007 FJ Cruiser
1996 Land Cruiser FZJ80
1984 Land Cruiser FJ60
My Toyota 4x4 Instagram
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 11:36 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Looks like a nice outing Larry, wish I could go.

Those are great pictures of Emilie and James.

"Because in the end it has almost nothing to do with the bike and everything to do with setting
out to accomplish something that is intimidating, that is unknown to you, something you know you
have a good chance of failing at but doing it anyways and slowly but surely proving yourself wrong."

Mike Ambs

www.corva.org
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Aequitas - Veritas
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 12:18 AM

Quote:
uphill previously said: View Post
Fossil Run

After feasting on turkey the day before, I'm taking a run with my daughter, Emilie to do some fossil hunting in the Latham Shale/Marble Mountain area near Amboy, CA. 11/23/07 Anyone interested in coming is welcome to tag along. PM me if you have an interest. It might be a fun thing to do with your kids. The agenda is to leave SoCal Metro area early AM (so we have a full day to play) and make the 2.5 (+/-) hour drive to Marble Mountain. Dig around looking for trilobite fossils in the shale for part of the morning, have a trail lunch, wheel around the area, maybe a little target practice for fun with .22's and then home in the evening.

The Latham Shale is a 60 feet thick formation formed by a tilted row of dark brown rocks. It is on BLM land and it's lawful to take invertebrate fossils that you may find. This area is not in the Mojave Preserve. It's SOUTH of I-40 - however the concept of treading lightly and treating the land with respect still applies.

Remains of trilobites, mostly cephalons (heads) and thorax segments are abundant. Slabs with complete specimens have been discovered by just splitting the shale found along the slope. The trilobite remains are mainly from the species Olenellus Clarki, animals that were more than 550 million years ago! The Latham Shale has also yielded other fossils, including some of the earliest articulate brachiopods (brachiopods with hinge teeth) known.
I was just thinking about the trip I took out there a few years ago with one of my Geology classes. Thatís a great place for finding fossils; I picked up about ten of them in 30 minutes. There are also a few spots with the Craton showing. Craton rock is around 1.4 BILLION years old (if I remember correctly). This formed some of the first solid surface of the Earth.

There are also some cool Lava Tubes that can be explored including Glove Cave. Its really cool inside, it has "mini" lava tubes inside of it and a guest book in the back (I signed it back in 1999).

If you get a chance swing by Mitchell Caverns. They have a skeleton of a Giant Three Toed Sloth. The caverns have three of the rarest "drip" formations in the world. This includes the Coral Piper, which is one of only eight known in the world.

Anyways wish I could go but my damn job and sense of responsibility keeps getting in the way. Have fun!--slaverbro
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

One reason I selected this particular place for the after-Thanksgiving field trip for my high-school age daughter is because there's like a 100% chance that she'll find cool fossils. We're bringing a geo-pick to work on the slate a bit in the hopes of finding something we can take home. For reference, there are plant fossils in the slate on the floor in my house. There are also--

Othosaurus fossils in the rock around my swimming pool. They're common fossils and don't have much monetary value - but the add to the character of the place.

The Amboy area also has some fun places to take the FJ.

There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unaltered, to find the ways that you have changed.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 08:55 AM
Forum Master

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to WESBC

Looks fun and interesting, too bad it's on Black Friday though
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 09:05 AM
Forum Veteran

Uphill I wish I could go but we are camping for the holiday and I dont think I could convince the wife to leave everyone for a full day. I would love to take my 8 year old there, he would have a ball. He always talks about looking for fossils when we are out in the desert. Could you PM me the gps locations so I can do it on another weekend.
Thanks Mark Trentham
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 09:11 AM
Forum Superstar

Send a message via AIM to mattmainster

Looks like a blast! Brittany and I will hopefully come along!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 09:20 AM
Forum Master

Uphill,

That sounds like an exciting trip...especially if you're guaranteed to find fossils. If only I lived closer! You seem to be quite knowledgeable about fossils, are you a geologist?

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Regional Forums > Socal Region

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in