There's a great event on 9/20-9/21/08 (Saturday-Sunday) at Big Bear. It's a event where we help kids from the city experience the forest. We volunteer to drive them on a easy trail and encourage them to talk on the CB (one will be provided if you don't have one). Boy will ride with guys and girls will ride with ladies.
Here are the details.
You are cordially invited to be a part of the 9th Annual KIDS ON PUBLIC LAND 2008 event. We need volunteer drivers.
- The Anaheim Police Activities League and YMCA bring 100 kids -- 50 boys on Saturday and 50 girls on Sunday up to Big Bear by bus.
- Upon arrival the kids are divided into two groups each day: one group goes on the trail ride
and the other group enjoys activities at the Discovery Center. In the afternoon the two groups switch activities. More than 90% of the kids, ages 8-12, have never been to the forest.
- During the trail ride each child sits in the front passenger seat, chats with the driver, talks on the CB, and enjoys a 4WD ride in the San Bernardino National Forest.
EVENT TIME & PLACE:
- The 8th Annual KOPL event is scheduled for the weekend of September 20-21, 2008 (Sat & Sun).
Okay to volunteer for one day.
- Volunteers should plan to arrive by 8am at the Discovery Center
. If you are a driver, park in the upper parking lot. If you are a helper, park anywhere except the upper parking lot. Check-in is located in the upper parking lot. We expect the buses to arrive sometime around 9:00 am.
- The Big Bear Discovery Center, 40971 North Shore, Fawnskin CA 92338 Big Bear Discovery Center San Bernardino Mountains
- Map: Big Bear Discovery Center San Bernardino Mountains
HOW TO VOLUNTEER:
- Either mail, fax or email your registration form before the event. Contact us for any additional information.
- We need male drivers on Saturday to escort the boys. We need female drivers on Sunday to escort the girls
- In addition to volunteer drivers, we need volunteers to set-up, help with lunch preparation, stuff goody bags, supervise children, clean-up, etc.
- You can volunteer either one or both days
. It takes over 100 volunteers to operate the KOPL.
VEHICLE TYPES ON TRAIL RIDE:
- Any 4x4 vehicles. Should be in good running condition.
- Must have seat belts, first aid kit and hard top or roll bar. If you do not have a CB radio, we have some loaners. Should carry a fire extinguisher.
- This trail is rated Easy. (90% of these kids have never been to the forest or 4 wheeling so graded dirt roads are very exciting)
- Each child will be encouraged to talk on your CB during the trail ride. If you don't own one, we will have a few to borrow.
- If you are a licensed ham radio operator, we will notify you at the event as to what frequencies we are using.
WHAT TO BRING:
- A smile. Plan to get to know the child who rides with you.
- Bring a chair.
- Bring EZ-Up/pop-up Tarps. We need a total of 20.
- No dogs should be at the event other than the K9 Unit.
LODGING - CAMPING:
- We suggest Motel 6 (909) 585-6666
- Or you can reserve a campground at Serrano Campground (a short distance from the Discovery Center). Cost is about $60 for 2 nights.
- Free hamburgers, hot dogs, chips, salads and drinks will be served to all kids and volunteers for lunch on Saturday and Sunday.
- Free ICEEs will be served for dessert.
SATURDAY NIGHT BBQ:
- Hero's BBQ Catering will begin serving a Boneless Pork & Chicken BBQ Dinner at 6pm on Saturday night in the upper parking lot at the Discovery Center. The cost is $10.00 to help cover the cost (pay at the event - cash or check).
- Bring your own drinks and chairs
- All volunteers and their families are welcome to attend the Saturday night BBQ.
- Saturday night after the BBQ is a raffle for all volunteers.
- One ticket per volunteer, must be present to win.
- Children's goody bags: We need small items for the kids' goodie bag (pencils, pens, candy, tooth brushes, company promotional items, toys, etc.) -- should be 100 items for both groups or 50 items for one day. On event day, each child receives the same gifts (for example, 120 stickers or 50 girls' brushes and 50 boys' combs).
- Money or in-kind donations requested: For food ($800), water bottle holders ($500), Volunteer t-shirts ($800), kid's hats, products for volunteer raffle ($400) and other miscellaneous expenses (any amount is appreciated).
- Do you know someone who may be interested in donating?
MORE DETAILS ATTACHED:
- A detailed description of this event is attached.
VOLUNTEER SIGN-UP SHEET ATTACHED:
- A registration form can be emailed to you.
- Then mail or fax your form before the event One form for each volunteer. Questions? Call (760) 961-9455.
The 2007 Kids On Public Land committee members want to thank you again for volunteering to help.
We look forward to a fun and rewarding experience.
Rick Russell - Chairman 2007 - (877) 628-7227 or [email protected]
Stacey Harrold - Co-Chair
Marilyn Russell - Administrative
Tammie & Tim Conrad - Driver assignments, Logistics, Preparations
Debbie & Cass Ellsworth - Children's Activities
Robbie & Paul Mooney - Food preparation
Connie Sims - First Aid
Steve Bass - Parking & Trail Pre-run
Frank Hayes and Bill Sims - Trail Assistants
Gary Heston & EOC members - Communications
Sandy & Keith Graham - Event coordinators
Tracy & Jodi Lenocker - Event coordinators
Stephanie Woodbury - Volunteer recruitment
Fleshman Family - Motorcycle & ATV Demo
Chief John Welter - Anaheim Police Dept.
Dale Johnson - SBNFA - OHV
Denis Thomas - Big Bear Discovery Center
Georgina Meza - Anaheim PAL Program
Rachel Torres - Anaheim YMCA