Big Bear Jan 17-18 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Socal Region Regional forum for the Southern California area.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Big Bear Jan 17-18

Hey guys,

I going to be camping in Big Bear over this weekend. Would like some guys and gals to wheel with. I think I may have a few trucks from other forums but would be great to have a few more.

I'm going to do a trail inspection (photographing issues) and running some trails. Probably not going to to do any hard trails John Bull/Dishpan unless some peeps who have already run the trail are going. I don't really want to run newbies thru there at this time of the year.

So please let me know of your interested in coming up for the day or overnight.

Cheers
Mark

UPDATE (as of 1-14-08)

Big Bear 17th and 18th Jan

Meet: Vons on the East end of Big Bear on Hwy 18 (Starbucks on site!)

Time:8:30am for 9:00am departure (please gas up before you pull in)

Trails: Easy to moderate (will post up specific trails asap)

Who: Anyone who wants to come from stock to modded. There will be a range of trucks including Toyota, Ford and Jeep. This is actually a combo of three different forum friends.

CB Channel: 4

Conditions: There is likely to be some snow although it is melting quickly at the moment! Bring warm gear!

Duration: both days or single day. I am camping o/n

If coming for Sunday, meet at the same Vons at 9am

PM me for my cell number

Mark
04 4Runner SE, Fry/Rr locked, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 35's, SW Sliders & Bullbar, Smittybilt 10000lb winch, 2.5" Overland Warehouse suspension, 1.5" 4Crawler BL, Kurt Trailing Arms, Flowmaster, 60" High Lift, Cobra 75WXST CB radio, 4ft Firestick, Yaesu FT-7800 2m/70cm Ham Radio, Comet Dualband Ant., Sat. Radio, Garmin Nuvi GPS, CO2 system, Lightforce 240 Blitz, African Outback Rack, Downey Frt skid

Last edited by Expat; 01-14-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Fjamming Send a message via Skype™ to Fjamming
Re: Big Bear Jan 17-18

This is going to be one busy weekend with events at JV and Big Bear.

Click for the "Genie" build up
Sandoo Blue FJ
Walker Evans 2.5 dia. front shocks, adj. rear reservoir shocks, Pro Links. AP F&R bumpers, AP 1.25" UCA, Demello skid, TMax 9000 Competition winch. Viking Trail Line. Hankook MT RE03. Trail Gear Sliders, Aeroflow, Lightforce Blitz 240 50W HID, All Pro Swing Out. Bajarack custom low-pro rack. Ricochet LCA armor.
SoCal Events Calendar
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

From what I heard (read) some of the hard trails in JV are too tough for much else than rock buggies which means (in my mind anyhow) there will be a lot of rigs on the medium trails which I personally do not enjoy.

I think we might have 6 or so rigs up at BB on Saturday. Maybe one or two staying overnight.

I'll post up more details tonight.

Mark
04 4Runner SE, Fry/Rr locked, 17x9 MT ClassicLocks, 35's, SW Sliders & Bullbar, Smittybilt 10000lb winch, 2.5" Overland Warehouse suspension, 1.5" 4Crawler BL, Kurt Trailing Arms, Flowmaster, 60" High Lift, Cobra 75WXST CB radio, 4ft Firestick, Yaesu FT-7800 2m/70cm Ham Radio, Comet Dualband Ant., Sat. Radio, Garmin Nuvi GPS, CO2 system, Lightforce 240 Blitz, African Outback Rack, Downey Frt skid

Last edited by Expat; 01-12-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 09:36 PM
Forum Regular

Thinking of heading up there Sun. with the wife. Let me me know if you guys are still wheelin!

Blue 2007 4X4 Auto, OEM Locker+ATRAC, All-Pro rock rails, TLC trailing arm skids, 35" BFG MT KM2s, OME lift, Costco back up cam, 4+plus complete skids, Tuffy box, MPAC Barrier, Metaltech bumper w/winch, and an Engel 45!...
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

So trails will depend upon truck mods and driver experience so lets start off with the easy stuff that should be for any 4x4 vehicle. The main aim of the morning is to check out trail 1N04 which has been adopted by another forum I'm on.

Moonridge Drive to the 2N10
2N10 to Clark's Summit
Summit to 1N54
1N54 to AAT 1N04

to complete the loop

1N04 to 2N06
2N06 to 2N10
2N10 to Moonridge

my guess would be that should take a couple hours with stops along AAT to take photos of possible issues that will be addressed at meeting on 24th (?) by NFS.

Maybe pick up lunch in town and head out to HeartBreak Ridge (Difficult - maybe too tough for stock rigs!) and that would round out the afternoon given that it might take 3-4 hrs to run the trail

or

head over to the other side and do either Van Dusen to 3N16 or Gold Mtn to 3N16
then over to Holcomb Valley (3N16), 3N17, 3N14 to White Mtn (Medium Trail) then head back down to Butlers Peak for a evening (4pm is?) sunset, climbing up to the fire lookout.

Thoughts?

My main concern would be that difficult trails such as Heartbreak might be real tough if there is snow.
I need to check on road closures so this might change.
Unless indicated all trails are rated easy although snow/mud may make it more challenging (fun)

Mark
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
FJ4X420 previously said: View Post
Thinking of heading up there Sun. with the wife. Let me me know if you guys are still wheelin!
Awesome. I'm camping o/n so we could hook up Sunday and run a few trails. By then I'll have a good idea of trail conditions too.

Mark
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 08:08 AM
Forum Veteran

Quote:
Expat previously said: View Post
Butlers Peak for a evening (4pm is?) sunset, climbing up to the fire lookout.
Don't plan on Butler, been closed since the fires, and is usually closed during winter anyway. Have fun, be ready for lots of snow at higher elevations, and MUD, it has been warm...
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 04:39 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Expat previously said: View Post
Awesome. I'm camping o/n so we could hook up Sunday and run a few trails. By then I'll have a good idea of trail conditions too.
Nice. Let me know where you are camping, maybe I can meet you there. Planning on being in big bear @ 10:00am at the latest but trying to make it earlier.

Blue 2007 4X4 Auto, OEM Locker+ATRAC, All-Pro rock rails, TLC trailing arm skids, 35" BFG MT KM2s, OME lift, Costco back up cam, 4+plus complete skids, Tuffy box, MPAC Barrier, Metaltech bumper w/winch, and an Engel 45!...
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Not sure I'll know where I'm camping until I get up there. I'm getting comflicting info on what's open and what's not re trails and this will determine where I end up setting camp. Most likely Holcomb Valley. Maybe we shoud just meet Sunday back in town at the Vons at 9am for those coming Sunday only. Saturday details can stay the same.

Mark
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 03:46 AM
Forum Regular

There are some nice Yellow Post camp sites out there that you may want to check out. I know you can stop at the Discovery center for a map to camp sites and trail conditions. See you Sunday:-)

Last edited by FJ4X420; 01-16-2009 at 03:49 AM.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Regional Forums > Socal Region

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in