AAT: July 11th work day - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Socal Region Regional forum for the Southern California area.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Fjamming Send a message via Skype™ to Fjamming
(Thread Starter)
AAT: July 11th work day

For those who are wondering, AAT, stands for Adopt-A-Trail. It's a program where volunteers help the forestry service maintain and keep roads open. It's a way to give back to the sport we love as well as making new friends. SoCal FJ Cruisers have adopted 3N59A and 2N06X. Though we're not a club, I'm very impressed with the unity that we've shown in our effort to preserve our sport.

We'll meet at 2N06X trailhead (2N06X and 3N16) at 9:30am. It's a bit difficult to find and I don't have the coordinates for it this time. If you don't know the area and would like to meet up first, we can meet at 8:30am at the corner of HWY 18 and Green Valley Lake Road.

If you don't want to take your FJ onto 2N06X, you can hitch a ride with someone else. Since 2N06X is new, we're going to work on it first.

I've reserved a cabin in Lake Arrowhead if anyone is interested in using it Friday or Saturday. There's also an area next to the cabin for camping. If you're interested in using it, let me know. I may do a run from Cleghorn to Arrowhead on Friday and rest at the cabin Friday night.

CADavebert is heading a caravan from the Demello shop in Corona at 7am. If you're coming up from OC, that's a great place to meet.

Picture of Luna Mountain Trail.

Pictures of Lower Larga Flats Trail.

Volunteers
  1. FJamming (3)
  2. Bigdouggiedoug
  3. Busta3396
  4. FJCruiser4 (2)
  5. MrBigAx
  6. FJC8871 (2)
  7. GSFJ
  8. Biff...
  9. CADavebert
  10. Jeshua

Maybe
  1. Butchiesrf
  2. Pinky
  3. Daehimeh

Equipment
  • Shovel
  • Ax
  • Lopper
  • Saw
  • Pick
  • Gloves
  • Hardhat (if you have them)
  • Chainsaw (if you're properly trained to use it)
  • Recovery gears

Bring also your standard off road recovery equipments.

Click for the "Genie" build up
Sandoo Blue FJ
Walker Evans 2.5 dia. front shocks, adj. rear reservoir shocks, Pro Links. AP F&R bumpers, AP 1.25" UCA, Demello skid, TMax 9000 Competition winch. Viking Trail Line. Hankook MT RE03. Trail Gear Sliders, Aeroflow, Lightforce Blitz 240 50W HID, All Pro Swing Out. Bajarack custom low-pro rack. Ricochet LCA armor.
SoCal Events Calendar

Last edited by Fjamming; 07-08-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 12:25 PM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: AAT: July 11th work day

I'm going to try and make it Tony. Want to ask Greg a couple ? to if he isn't to busy.

I'll keep an eye on the thread.

"Because in the end it has almost nothing to do with the bike and everything to do with setting
out to accomplish something that is intimidating, that is unknown to you, something you know you
have a good chance of failing at but doing it anyways and slowly but surely proving yourself wrong."

Mike Ambs

www.corva.org
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Aequitas - Veritas
post #3 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
jeshua previously said: View Post
I'm going to try and make it Tony. Want to ask Greg a couple ? to if he isn't to busy.

I'll keep an eye on the thread.
Great .

Do you need Greg's email?

Sandoo Blue FJ
Walker Evans 2.5 dia. front shocks, adj. rear reservoir shocks, Pro Links. AP F&R bumpers, AP 1.25" UCA, Demello skid, TMax 9000 Competition winch. Viking Trail Line. Hankook MT RE03. Trail Gear Sliders, Aeroflow, Lightforce Blitz 240 50W HID, All Pro Swing Out. Bajarack custom low-pro rack. Ricochet LCA armor.
SoCal Events Calendar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 01:00 PM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
Fjamming previously said: View Post
Great .

Do you need Greg's email?
I think I have it, its nothing important just want to pick his brain a little.

So can I take my truck?
j/k

"Because in the end it has almost nothing to do with the bike and everything to do with setting
out to accomplish something that is intimidating, that is unknown to you, something you know you
have a good chance of failing at but doing it anyways and slowly but surely proving yourself wrong."

Mike Ambs

www.corva.org
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Aequitas - Veritas
post #5 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 01:10 PM
Trail Snail

Yeah ... it's my day off ... will be there!

My Yellow Pig hasn't touched dirt since .... since there were snow up there ...

What's on the agenda?

_____________________________ _____________________________

Trail Snail

'07 GSJ15
post #6 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
BigDouggieDoug previously said: View Post
Yeah ... it's my day off ... will be there!

My Yellow Pig hasn't touched dirt since .... since there were snow up there ...

What's on the agenda?
Great!

We'll work on clearing the overgrowth on 2N06X and compose the annual trail assessment for both trails. I think we should start on 2N06X and head to 3N59A after. Those not willing to drive on 2N06X can catch a ride with others. We should have plenty of seats.

Sandoo Blue FJ
SoCal Events Calendar
post #7 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 08:01 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Great!

We'll work on clearing the overgrowth on 2N06X and compose the annual trail assessment for both trails. I think we should start on 2N06X and head to 3N59A after. Those not willing to drive on 2N06X can catch a ride with others. We should have plenty of seats.
Fjamming, I can be put down for a maybe at this point, I will know more next week if I have to travel out of town or be here. I see everyone is "geared" up, but I am really a newbie and you can see the spec's to my FJC below. Do I need to get some extra "tools" before we go? I was thinking I needed a CB installed and at least a lift jack and compressor. What ye say?

KV's TOY
2007 Titanium Metallic AT 4x4, A-TRAC, VSC, Locking Rear Differential, Roof Rack, 17" 6 Spoke Chrome Aluminum Alloy Wheels

TRD Exhaust Cat-Back, Front Body Mount Chop, Icon Stage One Lift (IVD-5-8640 Adjustable 2.5" Diameter Front Coil Overs, IVD-5-2700 Rear Coil Springs, IVD-5-7510 Rear Mono Tube Shocks), Goodyear Wrangler MT/R Kevlar 285/70R/17's, Spidertrax 1.25" Spacers, Midland 75822 CB Radio
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
post #8 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
kennyv70 previously said: View Post
Fjamming, I can be put down for a maybe at this point, I will know more next week if I have to travel out of town or be here. I see everyone is "geared" up, but I am really a newbie and you can see the spec's to my FJC below. Do I need to get some extra "tools" before we go? I was thinking I needed a CB installed and at least a lift jack and compressor. What ye say?
Thanks for volunteering .

You will be ok for 3N59A. You can ride with someone for 2N06X. I'll post up a list of tools and items we need for trail work in the first post later. What you should have is some recovery gear. If you don't have it, it's ok as I'm sure we can round up something when needed. CB should be installed ASAP.

Sandoo Blue FJ
SoCal Events Calendar
post #9 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 08:19 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Thanks for volunteering .

You will be ok for 3N59A. You can ride with someone for 2N06X. I'll post up a list of tools and items we need for trail work in the first post later. What you should have is some recovery gear. If you don't have it, it's ok as I'm sure we can round up something when needed. CB should be installed ASAP.
Sounds good. Any list for recovery gear? And I would take any recommends you have on CB and an install shop in West Covina area or close by. You hav big cred, so your recom would be appreciated and taken face value.

KV's TOY
2007 Titanium Metallic AT 4x4, A-TRAC, VSC, Locking Rear Differential, Roof Rack, 17" 6 Spoke Chrome Aluminum Alloy Wheels

TRD Exhaust Cat-Back, Front Body Mount Chop, Icon Stage One Lift (IVD-5-8640 Adjustable 2.5" Diameter Front Coil Overs, IVD-5-2700 Rear Coil Springs, IVD-5-7510 Rear Mono Tube Shocks), Goodyear Wrangler MT/R Kevlar 285/70R/17's, Spidertrax 1.25" Spacers, Midland 75822 CB Radio
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
post #10 of 113 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
kennyv70 previously said: View Post
Sounds good. Any list for recovery gear? And I would take any recommends you have on CB and an install shop in West Covina area or close by. You hav big cred, so your recom would be appreciated and taken face value.
Big cred? Don't mistake post count for cred!

For recovery, you should have the following at the minimum:
  • 2 4.5T (or greater) WLL (working load limit) shackles
  • 1 2X30' snatch strap.
  • Gloves

Since you're going with a group, we'll have Hi-Lift and other gears available. In time, you should acquire some of the following:
  • Shovel
  • Ax
  • Tree Saver
  • Tire repair kit
  • More straps or a yanker rope
  • More shackles
  • Snatch block
  • Metric and STD tools
  • Knife
  • Chains (for recovery)
  • Bolt out
  • Hi-Lift accessories
  • Flash light
  • Survival gears (SPOT, blankets, clothing, first aid, food, water, etc).
  • Spare parts
  • Etc (Pull-Pal, exhaust jack, sand ladder...)

If I'm out alone, I'll carry more gear. Sometimes I'll carry everything you see below and a few more items.

The list can go on and on, but start to think about some of those things. When traveling in groups, you can talk to each other before the trip and coordinate what to bring. That will save significant space.

When chosing a CB, you should pay attention to the antenna. A good CB with a cheap antenna is worse then a cheap CB with a good antenna. There's a CB shop in Ontario that's pretty good. It's next to the TA (truck stop) at Milliken and I-10. Do some search on the board and you'll see quite a few different setups. It's really not too hard, but if you're not comfortable with it, take it to a shop. The antenna will need to be tuned for optimal performance.

Sandoo Blue FJ
SoCal Events Calendar

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Regional Forums > Socal Region

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in