My FJ just passed the 36000 mark and this is now out of warranty… Of course that meant that in the internal door lock on the drives side started having trouble. The door would only unlock about 20% of the time, often not working for days and would slowly lock. After looking around Toyota ofically requires replacing the whole locking mechanism for $300 + along with labor.
After looking up information on these two links (lexus door lock change
) (FJ Door removal
) I decided I would attempt to fix it with a friends help. Offered Beer and Food.
He works with robotics and motors all the time, and in case we ran into trouble I thought he would be good to have helping. I ordered the replacement actuator motor linked from the first link on Ebay. It turns out this motor is the same motor but has a different end so it is not a replacement.
We did get the door lock fixed despite that, so for anyone daring enough to take it on here is how I fixed it for $10.
Following the directions already on the form
, We pulled the door panel off, disconnected the electrical connection for the switches, removed the two screws holding the handle to the door and then was able to pull the interior panel off.
After doing that we heated and pulled back the plastic liner on the door. The lock mechanism is one complete unit with you detach using the three screws on the outside of the door latch. Upon pulling that there is one bolt that holds the window bracket in which also prevents you from removing the lock. Unscrew this bolt, then you should be able to remove the lock mechanism.
Here is what we pulled out, upon seeing it, it’s completely different from the one shown on this link.
We the reluctantly decided to continue and pull off the five screws on the front of the plate, there is one on the back side to look for too. After screw removal, go around the entire outside and pull the latches to open the mechanism.
Note: you will naturally want to do this with the latches facing up. Before you actually open it you will want to turn it over or you will watch all the gears fall out when you do. It took us over two hours to find the correct arrangement. They can be put back together in several ways that appear to be correct, thought the latch will not properly work.
We then went on to the motor replacement. The motor in my latch was different than the one on other links I had seen and there was no way to change the shaft. (Original on Left)
After looking over options we decided to take apart the original Toyota motor and see its state. When we opened it we found that it was worn and dirty.
Since we could not replace the motor (due to the different shaft) we decided to clean it and see how it worked. We noticed the brushes in the plastic back of the motor were worn, so we ended up taking the plastic back with brushes from the new motor and replacing the Toyota one.
We did have to modify the housing slightly but did get it to work.
We then put the motor back in the housing.
Reassembly is fairly straight forward if you are able to keep all the gears in the original place. For us, it took over two hours to figure out how to reassemble it with all the springs in the right places. (Test it thoroughly before placing it back in the door with a screwdriver, and confirm the door unlatches. If not put together perfectly your door may latch shut and NOT reopen.) See the photo below for the correct arrangement. You can test and watch the latch system with it open.
Assembly is straight forward and just the reverse of the steps above.
When installing back in the door, slide the lock mechanism between the window slide and the door latch. Note, the metal rod (pictured below) needs to be reattached as you slide it into place before screwing the lock mechanism back into the door.
After screwing the lock back in you need to verify that the outside handle works, the keyless entry works and the inside latch works. Then proceed with sticking back the plastic wrap and attaching the electrical wiring and the door interior.
My door lock is as good as new and has the old power and speed it once did!