FJ Door Lock (Drivers Side) Actuator Replacement on 2007 FJ Cruiser - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
FJ Door Lock (Drivers Side) Actuator Replacement on 2007 FJ Cruiser

My FJ just passed the 36000 mark and this is now out of warranty… Of course that meant that in the internal door lock on the drives side started having trouble. The door would only unlock about 20% of the time, often not working for days and would slowly lock. After looking around Toyota ofically requires replacing the whole locking mechanism for $300 + along with labor.

After looking up information on these two links (lexus door lock change) (FJ Door removal) I decided I would attempt to fix it with a friends help. Offered Beer and Food. He works with robotics and motors all the time, and in case we ran into trouble I thought he would be good to have helping. I ordered the replacement actuator motor linked from the first link on Ebay. It turns out this motor is the same motor but has a different end so it is not a replacement.

We did get the door lock fixed despite that, so for anyone daring enough to take it on here is how I fixed it for $10.
Following the directions already on the form, We pulled the door panel off, disconnected the electrical connection for the switches, removed the two screws holding the handle to the door and then was able to pull the interior panel off.

After doing that we heated and pulled back the plastic liner on the door. The lock mechanism is one complete unit with you detach using the three screws on the outside of the door latch. Upon pulling that there is one bolt that holds the window bracket in which also prevents you from removing the lock. Unscrew this bolt, then you should be able to remove the lock mechanism.

Here is what we pulled out, upon seeing it, it’s completely different from the one shown on this link.

We the reluctantly decided to continue and pull off the five screws on the front of the plate, there is one on the back side to look for too. After screw removal, go around the entire outside and pull the latches to open the mechanism.
Note: you will naturally want to do this with the latches facing up. Before you actually open it you will want to turn it over or you will watch all the gears fall out when you do. It took us over two hours to find the correct arrangement. They can be put back together in several ways that appear to be correct, thought the latch will not properly work.

We then went on to the motor replacement. The motor in my latch was different than the one on other links I had seen and there was no way to change the shaft. (Original on Left)

After looking over options we decided to take apart the original Toyota motor and see its state. When we opened it we found that it was worn and dirty.

Since we could not replace the motor (due to the different shaft) we decided to clean it and see how it worked. We noticed the brushes in the plastic back of the motor were worn, so we ended up taking the plastic back with brushes from the new motor and replacing the Toyota one.

We did have to modify the housing slightly but did get it to work.

We then put the motor back in the housing.

Reassembly is fairly straight forward if you are able to keep all the gears in the original place. For us, it took over two hours to figure out how to reassemble it with all the springs in the right places. (Test it thoroughly before placing it back in the door with a screwdriver, and confirm the door unlatches. If not put together perfectly your door may latch shut and NOT reopen.) See the photo below for the correct arrangement. You can test and watch the latch system with it open.

Assembly is straight forward and just the reverse of the steps above.

When installing back in the door, slide the lock mechanism between the window slide and the door latch. Note, the metal rod (pictured below) needs to be reattached as you slide it into place before screwing the lock mechanism back into the door.

After screwing the lock back in you need to verify that the outside handle works, the keyless entry works and the inside latch works. Then proceed with sticking back the plastic wrap and attaching the electrical wiring and the door interior.

My door lock is as good as new and has the old power and speed it once did!

Last edited by Scottbert1; 01-10-2010 at 10:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 08:25 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: FJ Door Lock (Drivers Side) Actuator Replacement on 2007 FJ Cruiser

great writeup... I may need this someday!!! Thanks for taking the time to document everything.

Just for clarification... are you saying you can take it apart and get the motor out without disrupting the gear and assembly? It definitely doesn't look like somethign I would want to reassemble.

2007 FJ 6MT black -n- black
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

One stands a good chance of disrupting the whole gear assembly. When the mechanism finally popped open, it sent some of the pieces flying. You have to go around the entire outside and release well over 10 clips. Most of our time was spent piecing gears back together and testing it. We had no idea of the correct arrangement at first. I was prepared to lash my door closed and drive to the dealer. If you had the assembly clamped down, and are very careful, I would say it's possible to open it without disrupting the gear assembly.

I’ll see if I can post more pictures of the proper arrangement.

We decided it was worth a try while documenting it, worst case we would just have the dealer replace it. for the $311 plus labor.

It’s clear that the motors are just wearing out and that’s what’s causing the sticking issue. Replacing or rebuilding it immediately fixed the lock problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 05:38 PM
Forum Regular

I am not looking forward to doing this! I have an '07 with almost 50,000 miles so No Warranty! Seems like this is a fairly common problem though. Wonder if Toyota would fix given all the bad press lately?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 11:13 PM

I have a 07 FJ Cruiser and both power locks died. Any suggestions?
Ive seen the posts regarding the motor on ebay, but have read it doesnt fit some FJ Cruisers. Anyone got more info on this? The best price I've found is $240 per motor = $480 both + shipping. Need help!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 04:33 PM

Scottbert, your explanation of the replacement references pictures which I do not see anywhere. I'm going to attempt this job, or a similar replacement and could really use them. Some of the other links you posted have photos, but I'm sure that your writeup intended to include pictures as well- you say things like "the original is pictured below on the left, etc.) Also, has anyone ever found an aftermarket actuator? Or a direct replacement motor that fits inside the motor without modification or swapping the brushes? (which I don't know how to do). Plus, when I crack the thing open, my issue may require more than just a brush replacement. I'd even settle for an OEM actuator without having to buy the whole assembly which doesn't seem to need replacement in most cases. Both of my actuator motors are presumably shot. That's a grand if I want to go through Toyota, $900 if I want my mechanic to do it. My mechanic friend and I will probably try to rig something up, but need some further help.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in