A Laptop as tough as a FJ, Panasonic Toughbook CF-29 for $319 or $379 Touchscreen - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
A Laptop as tough as a FJ, Panasonic Toughbook CF-29 for $319 or $379 Touchscreen

A computer as tough as our FJ, this is it. I am planning to mount this thing is the rear cargo area and maybe painting it to match the rig. The specs are kinda of dated, but this thing was well over 2k when it came out. There are 2 versions, $319 and $379 for touchscreen.

13.3 outdoor-readable TFT Active Matrix color LCD
Intel Pentium M LV 738 1.4GHz processor
40GB hard drive
512MB of DDR2 memory
Preloaded with Windows XP Pro operating system
802.11b/a/g
Magnesium alloy case
IP65 certified sealed all-weather design
9-cell lithium ion battery

CompUSA.com | RB-CF29H3-512-40-CD | Panasonic ToughBook CF-29H3 Rugged Notebook (Off-

CompUSA.com | RB-PANASCF-29TS | Panasonic Toughbook CF-29HT Rugged Notebook PC

Don't forget your Bing CB at 10%
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2010, 10:09 AM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: A Laptop as tough as a FJ, Panasonic Toughbook CF-29 for $319 or $379 Touchscreen

There's also this one from Dell

But if you want to go a little more rugged

2010 TTSE (Stock?)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 12:22 PM

Re: A Laptop as tough as a FJ, Panasonic Toughbook CF-29 for $319 or $379 Touchscreen

CompUSA.com | RB-CF-29HT-1GB-40-DV | Panasonic Toughbook CF-29HT Rugged Notebook PC

Go for this one. It has a dvd rom and more memory. I would swap out the hard drive for a 160gb 7200 spin, double the memory and reload the op system. I also found this. CompUSA.com | RB-CF-29HT-1GB-40-DV | Panasonic Toughbook CF-29HT Rugged Notebook PC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 02:40 PM
Banned

Im here for the spammers, and the links with ad revenue tie ins.

Awesome!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 05:33 AM

We used the Panasonic Toughbooks in the Army (82nd Airborne) they survived air drops and multiple deployments so they are in deed tough and durable. They are very cheap now, but are also very slow machines.

JMHO
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 07:01 AM
Forum Master

Quote:
Jonzillah previously said: View Post
We used the Panasonic Toughbooks in the Army (82nd Airborne) they survived air drops and multiple deployments so they are in deed tough and durable. They are very cheap now, but are also very slow machines.

JMHO
If the ones you used were slow then they must have been overly bloated with resource-intensive software from the Army. The ones I see on a daily basis at work are reasonably quick with WinXP and a moderate level of software. We have many of them running DeLorme Street Atlas, several instances of web-based apps plus 2-3 apps running through Citrix over VZW WWAN and zero performance issues. I would definitely recommend spending a little more money and upgrading the RAM to around 1GB. The CF-29s are definitely good little mobile computers, especially for that price.

Just don't ever forget your BIOS password.

"Any problem on earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives. The trick is not to be around when they go off..."
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
BlackCherryota previously said: View Post
If the ones you used were slow then they must have been overly bloated with resource-intensive software from the Army. The ones I see on a daily basis at work are reasonably quick with WinXP and a moderate level of software. We have many of them running DeLorme Street Atlas, several instances of web-based apps plus 2-3 apps running through Citrix over VZW WWAN and zero performance issues. I would definitely recommend spending a little more money and upgrading the RAM to around 1GB. The CF-29s are definitely good little mobile computers, especially for that price.

Just don't ever forget your BIOS password.
Maybe you have the dual core version, but the old P4 platforms that the OP listed for under ~400 are going to be slow when comparing to a run of the mill laptop.

We must have different opinions on "computer speed".

FYI, The ones we used were not bloated at all. But what would I know...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 09:26 AM
Forum Master

Quote:
Jonzillah previously said: View Post
Maybe you have the dual core version, but the old P4 platforms that the OP listed for under ~400 are going to be slow when comparing to a run of the mill laptop.

We must have different opinions on "computer speed".

FYI, The ones we used were not bloated at all. But what would I know...
Hey man I didn't mean to offend, it's just that most "end-users" have little idea what's actually going on with their job computers. I work for a quasi-military law enforcement agency and most of them would say the same as you. Most of them are not cognizant of what's going on in the background to keep everything working properly. If you truly do know better, then I apologize for assuming.

The older 29s we have are the single core Pentium-Ms with touchscreen and integrated WWAN. No, they're not nearly as capable as the run of the mill lapotps from the past couple years, but we have never had issues with performance.

"Any problem on earth can be solved with the careful application of high explosives. The trick is not to be around when they go off..."
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
BlackCherryota previously said: View Post
Hey man I didn't mean to offend, it's just that most "end-users" have little idea what's actually going on with their job computers. I work for a quasi-military law enforcement agency and most of them would say the same as you. Most of them are not cognizant of what's going on in the background to keep everything working properly. If you truly do know better, then I apologize for assuming.

The older 29s we have are the single core Pentium-Ms with touchscreen and integrated WWAN. No, they're not nearly as capable as the run of the mill lapotps from the past couple years, but we have never had issues with performance.
Oh no worries, I was just giving my .02 for the OP. I know I hate buyers remorse more then the next guy. Just trying to help out.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in