Using stock backup camera w/ aftermarket Nav system - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-18-2010, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Using stock backup camera w/ aftermarket Nav system

Just to help document the thread here. I've got a 1 week old 2010 FJ and already modding it out. Maybe that's why my wife bought me the T-Shirt that says "I void warranty's".
I just installed a Pioneer Avic-920BT today and re-routed the factory video signal to the head unit and it was very easy.
1. Push the mirror down and pull off the plastic cover plate that rests up against the headliner. This will expose the wiring connector.
2. The front 2 right wires are the ones you want. Front right is red (video signal wire) and the white one next to it is the negative.
3. I used about a 6' RCA cable I had laying around and a piece of tig rod to fish the wire from the mirror hole over to the passenger side A-pillar. Down the A-pillar and then just under the dash in front of the airbag to the radio compartment.
4. I cut the RCA connector off by the mirror and spliced in the white wire.
5. I cut the red and just left the mirror end off and soldered my signal wire to that (I didn't want both the mirror and the display). I tested and it worked fine with both and I can easily hook it back up if I change my mind later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 08:37 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Did you happen to take notice where the mirror signal wires were routed from? Do they come up from one of the A-Pillars? I think that is a common question some people (including myself) would like to know. It does not seem too diificult to just connect at the mirror, but if the wires are coming up the A-Pillar it may be easier to splice in there.

Either way, thank you for the updated info! Your simple 5 steps are more clear and concise than anything I have been able to piece together from dozens of threads on this topic.
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 07:24 PM

The best I could tell it looked like it was running straight back in the headliner. But honestly I didn't try tracing it. Once I found the connector and realized I would have to troubleshoot there, I just fished the wire over in a couple minutes.
You can pop the wire cover off with no tools and it gives you access to the hole in the headliner, so you can see the wire feed pretty easily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 08:59 PM

I just finished installing an Alpine INA W900BT in my wife's 2010. I took pics and will try a how-to this weekend. Briefly, the camera harness runs directly through the headliner so the only logical place to pic it up is the connector hidden in the rearview mirror. My connector was identical to a the factory diagram I found searching the forum. It was not a difficult job, but there was one snafu... Since my plan was to completely bypass the tiny monitor in the mirror, I initially snipped the video signal + and - leads and the reverse trigger lead. THIS WAS INCORRECT. The reverse trigger lead switches power not only for the factory monitor, but also the camera itself! Snipping the lead rendered no power to the camera and consequently no signal. Reattaching the reverse trigger to the stock plug and tying into it for my head unit produced the desired results with one caveat; the monitor in the rearview cycles on for about 3 seconds when you put the truck in reverse. It displays a blue screen, then turns itself off.
Other than that, the installation was pretty straightforward. I'll try to get some pics up this weekend.
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 11:03 PM
Forum Regular

That is correct.. you must splice into the power trigger wire.. do not disconnect it.

I also have a 2010 and did this mod for an Alpine IXA-W407 (sickness).. If you only tap into the video leads at the mirror (red and white - on the right side of the connector), you will only have video when you switch to camera mode from the radio (AUX video). Tap into the reverse trigger which is the third wire from the left of the connector (Red with yellow stripe). This will turn your radio monitor immediately to the camera when in reverse (no matter what the screen is currently displaying).

Also another thing to note.. do not use a heavy gauge video wire for this mod.. you will lose signal.. and may even display in black and white. (trial and error).
I used an old audio only RCA wires (black and gray).. nice and thin. I wired the video in, no problem.. then cut the "extra" RCA connector off.. and used it for my reverse trigger. Piece of cake.

My only problem with the whole back up camera itself.. is it seems the camera is too recessed into the spare tire carrier.. and is shrouded. I plan on moving the camera rearward for a better shot.

***** To recap... all you need to do is tap the red and white wires on the right side of the harness (red is video, white is negative). The Red with small Yellow stripe is your reverse trigger (3rd from the left side of the harness). If your not sure what video wire to tie in... on the RCA that your using.. once you cut the plugs.. the inner wire goes to the red wire.. the outer "sheathing" wire goes to the white wire. You can tie in.. or splice in (basically eliminate the rear view screen, or use both). Use the reverse wire (tap in only), and run to your radio's reverse wire. DONE.

If you get a blue screen.. check your connections.. they have to be very tight for video transmission.

2010 Iceberg White
All-Pro Rock Sliders
Manik taillight guards
Gobi ladder
CP1, TP
Alpine, Alpine, Alpine (and Focal)

Last edited by mrmayhem; 09-22-2010 at 02:12 AM.
post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 07:28 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

I'm attempting to integrate the feed from the OEM back up cam into a pioneer Z120bt, while leaving the function of the rearview mirror display unaffected.

The nuts and bolts sound easy enough. Tap the reverse trigger and the + and - video feeds, feeding both into the head unit where they belong.

Previous postings have indicated the reverse trigger is responsible for powering on the rearview display, but ALSO for powering the camera. (See above posting: snipping the reverse trigger disabled the camera) Previous postings also indicate that, with the above three taps, the camera feed can also be manually displayed by the headunit while the car is not in reverse.

Here's my question: How does the headunit receive signal from the camera in the absence of the reverse trigger, which allegedly responsible for powering the camera? Without the reverse trigger active, and thereby powering the camera, does the headunit simulate a reverse trigger? what gives here?

Craig
2010 Iceberg
post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 08:11 PM
Forum Regular

I tapped in as well... left the rear view monitor in play. I have an Alpine IXA-w407.. love it. I tapped into the feeds.. did not cut them. The alpine uses the same trigger as the rear view. If you do not tap into the trigger.. you will have to switch your HU to the camera mode to have it display on the HU. The splicing into the trigger, bypasses all functions on the HU and immediately displays the camera when in reverse.. then automatically turns off and returns to previous screen when out of reverse.

I have noticed that if you switch the HU back to the camera mode after reversing.. the camera can be viewed for approx 1 minute and then turns itself off. Just an observation.

I have since installed a push button to a source to the trigger.. so the camera can be activated whenever. Cool for viewing whatever your towing.

2010 FJ
post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 05:26 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)

OK, two items. Today I had an installer tap the 2 video wires as well as the reverse trigger and run them to my Avic-Z120bt. Worked like a charm. When I shift into reverse, the factory mirror still works as normal and the z120Bt shows the camera feed automatically. But, when I manually try to display the camera feed on the HU without shifting into reverse, I get a black screen on the HU. As posted above, I'm guessing a 12v signal has to be fed into the reverse circuit. I'll have to install a diode on the original reverse trigger wire downstream from the tap and install a toggle switch. I'll attempt this when it gets warmer, but I just wanted to clarify, in the event that someone had the specific questions I've had.

Also, the Scosche dash trim kit seemed to bind the mechanical movement of the Avic Z120bt front door at the top and bottom when you eject a DVD. It was just slightly too short. I had to go with the metra two piece model. By the way, the metra dash trim kit utiizes the factory radio brackets, so make sure you keep 'em.

Craig
2010 Iceberg

Last edited by racerecchs; 04-26-2011 at 04:33 PM.
post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 08:14 PM
Forum Regular

It's built into the Toyota. The reverse trigger activates while in reverse. Once the camera gets power - it remains "activated" for a minute or two. A momentary switch will trigger the camera to activate for this time. A regular switch will leave the camera activated.

I chose momentary since I don't want to short anything out with the camera.
post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 03:25 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

bookmarked this thread for when I do this, but pics would be tremendous help.

|2010 Black FJ 4x4A|
|North Carolina FJ Cruisers
United States Air Force
| *Currently Deployed*

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in