fjammer or not - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 12:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: fjammer or not

I'm looking at replacing the whole system, although in steps to keep the cash flow reasonable. While the FJammer has all of the "right stuff", none of it is high quality or well thought out engineering-wise. I didn't get the XM radio OEM, and the sales manager at the dealer talked me out of doiing the Toyota upgrade, based on his customers' general lack of satisfaction with the unti's performance (OEm or after purchase).

After looking at the wiring diagrams today, I can understand why so many buyers have had an issue with the XM performance. The receiver is mounted in the back right corner of the vehicle under the subwoofer. The signal has to travel the length of the vehicle to reach the head unit. All of the aftermarket units go under the dash where the cable run and potential interference are singificantly less.

The overhead "exciters" are some bad engineer's sound fantasy - there is no way that muddled, "fire through the headliner" speakers will add to a decent sound in the vehicle.

While the FJammer may be better than some other OEM units based on the breadth of features, it really looks like a simpler higher quality system will be much more useful.

I applaud Toyota for trying to make hte system as cool as they desired, but it seems obvious that they ran out of cash to use better components.

Best bet is to save your OEM $ and put them into a good (and simpler) aftermarket system.

Silver FJ

Not all that glitters is gold
Not all who wander are lost
JRR Tolkein

Think of it as evolution in action
Niven and Pournelle

Last edited by roadwarrior; 02-18-2007 at 12:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 11:23 AM

I agree that the upgraded FJammer pkge with subwoofer does not seem like a step up from other standard OEM stereo's. I also have owned cars with the standard packages and also the upgraded packages and the FJammer up grade is sub par. The best sounding factory upgrade system that I've owned is on my '98 Lexus LS400 with the Nakamichi system.

But I will say this in Toyota's defense for the capabilities and overall sturdiness of the FJ Cruiser it is a very reasonably priced vehicle for what you get. Stereo systems can always be upgraded with some ease not to mention it gave me an excuse to redo the entire system. I believe that Toyota cut some corners in this area to keep the vehicle affordable and focus more on the capabilities of the vehicle which is the reason why a majority of the FJ Cruiser owners purchase it!
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 02:26 PM

I like the fjjammer but dont buy it from a dealer when you can get for a wholesale price on ebay. Thats what I did and I got it cheaper then you would at a dealership they just try to steal your money. its not the fjjammer that produces the sound its the speakers and like northshore said the speakers are the weak link.. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-18-2007, 06:48 PM
Taz
Forum Veteran

I didn't have much choice as to FJammer or not in my area, they all had them. Having said that, I don't hate it. I got it without the factory sub and added 2-12"s and it took care of my biggest issue I had with the FJammer, no bass even with crappy factory sub. I did want the steering wheel controls as if I ever swap out, I will make sure the aftermarket one has an interface for this.

As mentioned a gazillion times, the stock speakers can be improved upon. I bought some MB Quarts to replace the small ones. Next up will be better 6x9's. I have adequate volume levels in the truck now since they aren't working so hard to provide bass.

If I do swap out the FJammer, it won't be because I totally hate it but because I want integrated nav and a DVD player for the kids. At this point I can't see just tossing it and I did like it better than the factory base radio.

The exciters in the headliner actually work for me IF I move my head toward the middle of the car a bit more than I normally would. I can actually hear them then and they do make a difference. I can't say that I'd pay for that difference but it does "open up" the sound quite a bit for me. I do find they are definitely position sensitive to be focused where they make a difference. Try moving your head around while listening to them to see if you can find the sweet spot where they actually make a difference.

------------------------------------------
6MT - After enough repetition, even the wittiest signature becomes boring.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-19-2007, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Taz previously said: View Post
I didn't have much choice as to FJammer or not in my area, they all had them. Having said that, I don't hate it.

Same here most of the FJ's up my way were decked out which did not bother me.

If I do swap out the FJammer, it won't be because I totally hate it but because I want integrated nav and a DVD player for the kids. At this point I can't see just tossing it and I did like it better than the factory base radio.
That is the only reason I replaced the FJammer to get navigation. I like the simplicity of factory HU's and actually liked the look of the FJammer.

The speakers on the other hand are the weak link in the system. The 6x9's had a magnet the diameter of a quarter and had no weight what so ever to them.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 08:16 AM
Forum Regular

Is the speaker wiring at least any good for the upgrades?

07 FJ 4x4 AT
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-24-2009, 03:02 PM
Forum Regular

I agree the FJ speakers SUCK for better sound UPGRADE the speakers. HOWEVER because the FJAMMER head unit lacks a little power the best speakers to use would be LOW impedance 2 OHMS Factory units are 4 ohms as are most replacement speakers. If you want the cheapest cost for Really good results Try a pair of INFINITY KAPPAS 5.9I's as replacement for the front speakers. If you buy from Crutchfield $129.00 they include a mounting bracket. Lowest price on the net w/o brackets is about $80.00 Crutchfield will sell brackets only for around $20.00, So for a hunsky your set. I have installed these in my rig and found the Bass and His greatly improved. I also have an unused pair due to double ordering $50.00 plus shipping if you want PM me.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in