It started with the dual battery kit switch install... - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 10:18 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Re: It started with the dual battery kit switch install...

I actually put that where the dimmer slot is. I'm out of slots and never used the dimmer any way. You could do a clean square slot with a dremel if you were very careful, and very patient.

dual battery 001 by cnckart, on Flickr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

So now your truck is dimmerless. Very creative way to install a switch, the dual battery control switch? I really like the relay mounting plate you installed under the hood; another great idea for me to steal and use.

08 Sandstorm 4X4 auto
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 10:44 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

Just watch where your hood closes around the relay mount plate. If you look close I had to take the back corner off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

The dual battery kit installation is almost done with the addition of the dual voltage monitoring gauge. Switch left = primary, switch right = auxillary, center = off. Works great. Switch came from Radio Shack, gauge is a Stinger. [IMG][/IMG]

The Stinger is pretty bright in the dark, even after I applied a black felt tip marker to the logo (under the cover). [IMG][/IMG]

I haven't quite figured out what do do about adding a battery conditioner (or 2) yet, so I'll order some more LEDs from Oznium and brighten up the outside while I mull it over with a cold one.

08 Sandstorm 4X4 auto
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 09:33 PM
Forum Regular

Where do you run the wiring for the 4 under dash lights? I would like to do the same thing.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

This is where I tied in, careful soldering to the circuit that powers the existing LEDs in the dash. I'm sure there are other places, but this was convenient since I had the console off and wanted to avoid any additional wires to/from the console. [IMG][/IMG]

The original thread where Sunshine described his method starts out real good, but takes a very long journey through experimentation and chaos until some real creative ideas evolve. https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ights-mod.html

There are a ton of threads along these lines, but the main thrust seems to be that LEDs are great. I have become a fan of Oznium because everything I ordered was shipped fast and the stuff works. Just remember that LEDs require a resistor if you hook 'em to 12v. I solder everything and use heat shrink. (TV repairman in a former life.)

08 Sandstorm 4X4 auto
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Decide to just get 2 Battery Tenders http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0123-Junior-Charger/dp/B000CITK8S/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1304875162&sr=1-2and attach the included ring connector cables to each battery. I have to lift the hood to plug these in, but that will keep me from driving away without disconnecting. I am considering a lift-up license plate frame for the front so I can locate the plugs behind the plate, but that project is for the future. This week I upgraded the mirror lights to Oznium 1 Watt amber LEDs and took a picture of the dome light LEDs while parked next to a Honda CR-V for comparison.
That group buy on the dual battery kit wound up costing me more in time and money than originally planned, and I don't think it's over yet. Suspension and bumpers are next on the list. Hey, that extra battery is heavy.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Can you even tell the Honda's dome light is on?

[IMG][/IMG]

08 Sandstorm 4X4 auto
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 12:24 PM
Forum Superstar

Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member

It's funny how that happens. I get to poking around the truck and all-a-sudden there are more tools out and I'm doing something I hadn't considered earlier. These episode are usually acconpanied by an adult beverage or three. It's been part of the fun of FJ ownership!

-Matt
TLCA #20400
2008 AT 4x4 Voodoo Blue FJ with just enough trail pin-striping

"History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier." -Colin Powell

"I do not love the sword for it's brightness or the arrow for it's swiftness. I love only that which they defend." -Faramir from The Lord Of The Rings
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

I'll drink to that!
Beer seems to lead to mods, I just ordered an ANL fuse holder and 100 amp fuse to use right at the battery. I pulled 8 ga wires to a fuse panel under the dash and today realized that if there was a short between the fuse block and the battery the truck would probably burn down, along with the house (and all of my beer). Unlikely that there would be a short unless some idiot with a wrench or a screwdriver was messing around... Or a wreck scenario, or any of the Murphy's Law things that haunt my existence. Aux battery is getting a nice fuse this week.

08 Sandstorm 4X4 auto
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

The fuse holder with a 100 amp ANL fuse fit perfectly on the battery hold-down bar. I flipped it over and added a couple sliced pieces of fuel line as cushions against the Die Hard.

Since the tools were out I added the DRL switch, nicely documented here https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...isconnect.html

The switch has an LED that faintly lights when the DRLs are on.

OK, I think that's about it. There was some sort of mojo/voodoo in the Dual Battery Kit from Dirty Parts that spawned a lot of seemingly unrelated projects. I blame the weird switch. But it all seemed necessary at the time...

08 Sandstorm 4X4 auto

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in