It started with the dual battery kit switch install... - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
It started with the dual battery kit switch install...

Last weekend I installed a Dual Battery Kit from Dirty Parts. Pretty easy project except I didn't like where the instructions showed to mount the switch, under/on the lower left part of the dash where I might bump it. So, I removed the center control panel and mounted it to the bottom edge.

Since I had the control panel out, I upgraded 2 of the 4 Radio Shack LEDs that I installed a couple years ago to new Oznium Super Bright LEDs. Big difference, way better light in that formerly dark area.

And since my tools were already out I put a new CB radio on the roof and ran the mic cable down to the center console, installing the jack just fore of the extra 12V outlet.

While placing the order with Oznium I added a 25 LED dome light and upgraded the 16 LED that has served well for a couple years, moving it to the rear, so 32 LEDs back there now and the 25'er shining redunculous bright in the front. These are cool white so the pics look bluish.

Since I was removing plastics I decided to add a Basslink subwoofer the the rear and mount the level control to the control panel. Added a couple more 12V outlets since there was a nice 8ga wire there now.
One thing leads to another.

08 Sandstorm 4X4 auto

Last edited by dougla2; 04-15-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 09:52 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: It started with the dual battery kit switch install...

That switch is good quality but looks like something horrendously outdated from the soviet space program. I hate mine, looking for a decent replacement, plus the green LED on it is glaringly bright at night.

2010 Sandstorm :: auto :: 315/75R16 Nitto Grapplers :: All-pro skids :: Walker Evans coil overs & shocks :: Bulldog winch :: Demello bumper & sliders :: snorkel :: rock cams w/7" LCD :: Asus TF201 Prime nav :: Intronics dashcam :: Scangauge :: Uniden PC78 :: 10# Powertank :: dual Viair 150psi onboard air :: DP Dual Battery :: Rigid LEDs :: s-POD :: Onboard LTE Wifi
Summit 2016 :: 4WDABC Cruiser Days 2016 :: Summit 2014 :: Cruise Moab 2013 :: Summit 2012
VA7CXP :: TLCA#22101 :: 4WD Assoc of BC :: Coastal Cruisers :: President of Low Gear Society lowgearsociety at gmail.com
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 11:52 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

I am building my own system. This is the switch that I am going to be using.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MBR0DU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 12:31 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Man I thought you were going to end up with a supercharger there for a minute, those mods have a way of multipling. I didn't like where Dirty Parts suggested to mount the switch either, it would have lasted a day or two at best with me. I like where you put yours, I mounted a brake controller there in mine, I just moved my switch up to the flat part of the dash and ran the wires through one of the punch out.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)

Awesome Post/Thread Reminds me of mowing my grass, I start on the left end up on the right and its all done till next week

Thank you Vets

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

I like the "Soviet era" switch because it is unique and I'll not mistake it for anything else. If the green light gets annoying I'll take a black marker pen and darken it or stick some tape over it.

I am working on a really cool mod this week, trying to find a seat sensor switch to hook up to a horn under the dash. (Thinking about rigging up a riding mower seat switch.) The 10mm LED mounted in the switch panel will light up red when the system is active, and anyone who sits in the driver's seat will be rewarded with a full strength truck horn from under the dash. Bet that gets 'em out fast.

08 Sandstorm 4X4 auto
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Left my daughter alone with tools and the FJ and an hour later this...

[IMG][/IMG]

The mod bug is hereditary.

08 Sandstorm 4X4 auto
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 09:00 PM
Forum Veteran

Send a message via MSN to BrutusII
Haha. It's amazing how one thing leads to another. What started out as a front bumper only mushroomed into a lot more and a business license. Insanity I tell you.

2010 TT
AutoHome Medium Grand Tour
Expedition One rear and front bumpers, Rocker Guards, washer bottle.
Old Man Emu Heavy Kit
Weatherguard mats and a Huskyliner coargo mat.
Oh.. and tinting :P
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Insanity? Yes, I have evidence.

Just got a Stinger voltage monitor and have mounted it to the left side silver plastic vent cover thing, along with a DPDT switch. I was going to use a momentary switch until I found that the Stinger has a "trigger" line, so it can be connected to a circuit that is only hot when the ignition is on (or aux). The switch is on-off-on, so left will be to see primary battery voltage, right for aux battery and center off, because the bugger looks like it might be too bright at night. Planning to install it tomorrow after getting rid of this pesky beer.

08 Sandstorm 4X4 auto
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-29-2011, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Hey CNCKART, how do you drill a square (rectangle) hole to mount the rocker switch in the link? I have a couple switches that came with lights but couldn't figure out how to install them. I drilled a 1/4" hole for the voltage monitor switch from Radio Shack. (for lights I used Toyota-type switches in the blanks to the left of the steering wheel.)

08 Sandstorm 4X4 auto

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in