iPad and Aux - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
iPad and Aux

I've searched and searched but can't seem to fin the answer I am looking for. What is the best way to hook the iPad (or iPhone) to the Aux on the stereo? A cord from Aux to earphone jack or is there a cord that connects from the pins to the Aux jack? I am a little new to both the FJ and the iPad, but am trying to get the best quality output listening to my iPad in the FJ.
Does anyone have any info regarding this? And where I might be able to get the right cord to do the job?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 01:06 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
What year FJ do you have? If it's between 2007-2010, isimple and many others make a direct connection kit that gets plugged into the back of the radio. It allows you to either use the dock connector or an aux connection hardwired to the radio.

Of course you have to have the FJammer radio for it to work. If you don't, the easiest option is just use the factory aux port.

I suggest against FM transmitters unless you have absolutely no other option. Even then, go the hardwired route for them if possible.

Lastly, if you have a 2011, then you have the option of using Bluetooth.

It all depends on what you have to work with.

Joel
KJ6WSP

2008 FJC Sandstorm :: Icon Ext. Travel Resi CO's :: Icon Piggybacks :: Icon UCA's :: Demello 3-Hoop Bumper :: Demello Hybrids :: 285/70/17 Firestone Destination M/T's :: Spidertrax Spacers :: Black'd out

NorCal FJs
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)
Re: iPad and Aux

I have a 2008 with the original fjammer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 05:08 AM
Forum Veteran

Awesome, thats the same year and setup I have, so you have a couple options.

GOOD: Run a simple aux cable to the factory input. Cheap and simple. This will just give you audio in, but you control it from the iPad/iPhone. Not a big deal, and the audio quality is good. If you want easy, this is it.

BETTER: Run a direct connection kit. More expensive, probably around 100-150 depending on where it's bought. Depending on the kit, you'll usually get the option of running an iPhone/iPod/iPad through the dock connector and you'll control the device through the radio itself. Also, depending on the device, it will also be charged as well.

BEST: Change out the radio to something much better! Much more options and will give you the option to plug an iPhone/iPad/iPod directly in. It will also increase audio quality as you'll have more control over exactly what the audio sounds like.

I'm using a direct connect kit from iSimple that lets me run my iPhone and iPod into the radio. The control is through the radio and the audio quality is actually pretty good. And the install is incredibly simple. Just plugging in harnesses.

Joel
KJ6WSP

2008 FJC Sandstorm :: Icon Ext. Travel Resi CO's :: Icon Piggybacks :: Icon UCA's :: Demello 3-Hoop Bumper :: Demello Hybrids :: 285/70/17 Firestone Destination M/T's :: Spidertrax Spacers :: Black'd out

NorCal FJs
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Thanks much for the info. The Best option will have to come a bit later, since I just bought the truck, lifted it and a few more accessories. Can you tell me which direct unit you got and are happy with?

Thanks again
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 09:44 AM

PureFJCruiser.com has the Better option listed above in stock
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 12:46 PM
Forum Regular

Bluefusion from Scosche. A2DP for handsfree and stream. Works flawless with my 08.

I wonder where that road goes?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/391209914261717/
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Is this what the better option is that you guys are referring to?

fjpodtxt - FJ Cruiser Ipod interface with text.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 03:15 AM
Forum Veteran

That is definitely an option but not the one I went with. The option in the link you posted looks like it supports the dock connection, which is good for the iPod, iPhone, iPad users, and RCA connections that can be turned into an AUX input with an extra cable. It will charge the device and you'll be able to control it through the FJammer or regular radio.

The option I went with though was from a company called iSimple. My model is the ISIM71. It's an older model but it gave you 3 connection options.

1. Dock connection - Device charging and control by radio

2. Aux input - for apps that don't want to output audio through dock (pandora,etc.) or other types of devices with headphone outputs

3. RCA inputs - like aux input but for devices with RCA output (game consoles)

I don't find myself using the RCA input much, if ever, but the aux input is great and obviously I use the dim connection.

They don't make my model anymore though you can still get it online with a bit of searching. But the new model is the ISTY571. I believe it's just an updated model for the new firmwares. It still offers the same 3 connections listed above. Check it out in the link below.

http://www.amazon.com/Isty571-Auxiliary-Interface-Satellite-PAC/dp/B005ATIM74/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1310288695&sr=8-2
It should be said that the iSimple kits require the FJammer while the one linked works on any radio.

Still, out of all the kits I've seen available, this seemed to me to be the complete package for the best price.

Joel
KJ6WSP

NorCal FJs
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular

(Thread Starter)

Thanks Joel, that is what I am looking for and may give that new model a try.

While we r on this topic, what have any of younguys been using as the best mounting option for an iPad? I have looked at a couple, pad holder and Ram mount has a few, but it's hard to decide which one is most sturdy by looking at pictures.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in