Head Unit - Remote Wire Help and Backup Camera Question - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Head Unit - Remote Wire Help and Backup Camera Question

Ok, so I purchased this stuff ages ago, but I am finally installing them. I posted a previous question about the remote trigger wire (on/off) so I think I understand that in its basic form.

Question 1: Once I identify my remote trigger wire from the after-market head unit, can you run that (split it?) remote trigger wire to two amps?

The goal is to have the amps turn on/off when the head unit is turned on/off. My experience here is years and years old and I think we hooked everything up incorrectly anyway. Please, correct me if I am wrong on the trigger wire. I assume this is what it's for? I remember using the fuse box somehow back in the day, but I would rather install this properly.

Question 2: Is the OEM remote backup camera at all tied into the OEM radio? I have a 2011 and it's the basic radio and backup camera in the mirror.

I just do not want to disable my backup camera by replacing the head unit. That would suck!

Question 3: I am assuming that you still run the power directly to the battery from the amp when using a trigger wire as the on/off. Is this correct?

Your help will be greatly appreciated and sorry for the long post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 09:48 AM
Forum Veteran

Location: Stuck on a sandbar known as Florida in the middle of the freaking ocean.
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Re: Head Unit - Remote Wire Help and Backup Camera Question

Quote:
Boomy previously said: View Post
Question 1: Once I identify my remote trigger wire from the after-market head unit, can you run that (split it?) remote trigger wire to two amps? The goal is to have the amps turn on/off when the head unit is turned on/off.
Yes, should work fine. I have done this in the past.

Quote:
Question 2: Is the OEM remote backup camera at all tied into the OEM radio?
No, but when messing with wires make 100% sure you know what is what before cutting anything. I accidentally cut the wire to my map lights when disabling the headliner exciter POS thingies and had to splice and heat shrink it. To make life easier, try to use aftermarket wiring harness adapters wherever possible.

Quote:
Question 3: I am assuming that you still run the power directly to the battery from the amp when using a trigger wire as the on/off. Is this correct?
Yes. My https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...dio-mod-3.html single small amp wiring setup:

4 AWG Monster Cable battery terminal connector attached to 4 AWG power wire.
4 AWG power wire routed from battery to fused distribution block under hood. (see pic)
8 AWG power wire routed from distribution block to head end unit.
8 AWG power wire routed from distribution block to underneath driver seat for sub amp.
8 AWG ground wire attached to driver seat bolt for sub amp. (see pic)
8 AWG power and ground connected to amp with Rockford Fosgate platinum coated spade lugs

For multiple higher powered amps, you will want at least 4 AWG wired all the way through for power and ground to your amplifiers.

-FJ Florida-

2011 Iceberg 4x2 w/Toyota Bilstein offroad 4x4 suspension swap, Toytec driver side level spacer, Energy Suspension sway bar bushings, HŁper Optik tint, 2011 audio mod, full undercoating, tow hitch, N-FAB step bars, Hunter 'roo bar, .50 caliber machine gun for urban assault

Oops, I just ran over another Prius. I thought it was a speed bump. Oh well. They should have bought an FJ.

Last edited by FJ Florida; 07-14-2011 at 09:50 AM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: Head Unit - Remote Wire Help and Backup Camera Question

Perfect...thanks again for your help FJ Florida! I should just PM you as you answer all of my questions. That's a good thing by the way!

Your 2011 mod is insane. Great job!!!

I think you convinced me to replace the small speakers in the dash as well. It seems that all of the stock speakers are made of cheap paper. I wouldn't even use these stock speakers as headphones!!

Thanks again!

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in