So you want to be a Ham(Amatur Radio Operator) - Page 3 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 104 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: So you want to be a Ham(Amatur Radio Operator)

Tcao, unless something has drastically changed, all tests are given by VECs (Volunteer Exam Coordinators [I think]) who are hams. We self police ourselves and generally do a good job.

Heh heh, wouldn't it be something to start a fj cruisers weekly net on 20 or 40meters to talk about fj issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 104 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 07:36 PM
Forum Master

Quote:
Old FJ40'er previously said: View Post
Thanks dau666. That is the clearest thing I've heard about CB vs. HAM. I wish conversations like this took place over the CB. I'm in LA and what I hear most over my CB are truck drivers speaking in they native tongue. God forbid I break down. But then again I drive an FJ!
Just forgot to mention that there are different classes of HAM also. (depends on the exam you took) Not every HAM can use all the band (not sure what the rules are now aday), whereas with CB there is only one type. HAM and CB both are useful in case of emergency. There will always be helpful people on the air..

Last edited by dau666; 01-03-2007 at 07:38 PM.
post #23 of 104 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 07:42 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Chatsworth 818 FJ previously said: View Post
Old FJ40'er you in LA, in the valley, next meet up Id like you to check out my CB set-up b4 you get negative on CB. The reason you hear truckers is they are on juiced up CBs. I have a $400 set up and can blow there doors off.
Theres a CB group in simi-valley that meets up to do what we call "tea-hunting" one CBer hides and keys down, then a group of others try to find him by his signal, kind like tracking/ hide and seek. Its really fun in the FJ cause of the places u can reach others cant. It would fun to show up one night with a gang of FJs.
I'm in Los Feliz, Chatsworth so not too far. [email protected] is where you can reach me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 104 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 07:56 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Great start to what will be a legendary thread I'm sure... Hoping to take my first crack at the technician test on the 24th.

TLCA South Sound Cruisers
2007 BC, 4x4 AT,Rear Locker, A-Trac, BFG KM MT, BudBuilt Skids, Stubbs Sliders,
OME Med/Med, ARB Bull Bar, IPF Fog lights, ICom IC-208H 2M/440
TLCA# 16640
post #25 of 104 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
phantom2 previously said: View Post
My call sign is NH7WC, I am in Port Orchard if anyone is interested.
KD7ZKA here in Silverdale, Wa. Where do you listen...Green/Gold 2M/440? I'm usually on the much underused 220 MHz Band.

2007 FJ Cruiser (Black Cherry) MT6, A-Track, Diff Lock, ARB w/ Warn M8000, Kenwood D-700A, TM-331, TK-705D
TLCA# 17091
post #26 of 104 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 08:45 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

As others have already said...great thread with great information.

However...I guess I'm slow but what is the advantage of HAM over CB for the intended use as a way to communicate with others while off-roading? That is what I've been told as to the reasoning for carrying a CB radio at off-road events and if I have a HAM radio, its useless unless someone else has a HAM radio also, right? I would like to think that I understand (being an ex Navy "radioman/cryptotech") but are the HAM radios able to pick up the 27 Mhz CB frequencies?

edited...found that HAM is above 30 Mhz...

The HAM radio option looks to be a viable one, understanding the greater distance and cleaner signal they are able to generate. But if I can't talk with my fellow off-road group, I'm still alone but with the ability to communicate with someone who may be able to render aid albeit a greater distance away.

Please don't take this wrong, I'm just trying to understand what I'm going to do at the next event when everyone says tune to "channel 18" or such then I ask for other's ham freq (sorry again if I used the wrong lingo). I guess I should look at the links provided more closely but I didn't see the answer with a quick look at the pages.

Thanks again for taking this subject on and being tolerant to what may be very basic questions.

See me on ih8mud...
'07 GSJ15, well enhanced SOLD
'97 FZJ80 OME J
'77 FJ45
Olde North State Cruisers TLCA delegate
Train Hard, Rest Harder
TLCA 17784 - FCC KJ4KGF

Last edited by Mtbcoach; 01-03-2007 at 08:56 PM.
post #27 of 104 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 08:52 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
Chatsworth 818 FJ previously said: View Post
BUT here in LA they had a freq- (147.435), that was very relaxed. It wasnt as dirty as CB and everyone still used call signs, but it was childish and profane...
Ahh, those were the days... early 80's... I loved that mount wilson 147.435 repeater and the 146.61 repeater that preceded it. Those repeaters and the 40meter war zone (7.250-7.260) were a blast.... lots of people, rapid-fire conversations, any topic goes, etc. The trail conversations on CB are just like that... lots of rapid-fire conversation and a big part of the fun. We need more of that on the ham repeaters.... please help... get a license.

TRD SE, TRD Exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake
post #28 of 104 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via AIM to opg4759
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Mtbcoach previously said: View Post
However...I guess I'm slow but what is the advantage of HAM over CB for the intended use as a way to communicate with others while off-roading? That is what I've been told as to the reasoning for carrying a CB radio at off-road events and if I have a HAM radio, its useless unless someone else has a HAM radio also, right? I would like to think that I understand (being an ex Navy "radioman/cryptotech") but are the HAM radios able to pick up the 27 meter CB frequencies?

Thanks again for taking this subject on and being tolerant to what may be very basic questions.
The big advantage is that you have a cleaner signal think AM radio compared to FM radio.

Don't get me wrong I love CB and it has it's place and it works well if it's installed correctly. It's just been after a lot of posts that have been out there that we Ham's need to shed the light on the uses of it in a off-road/ everyday kinda communication.

The big advantage of Ham Radio is that you can run handheld radios that work well in comparison to CB handhelds that suck(I have a couple and they blow goats) You can spend a little money into it or lots of money on it. An example of what you could do is take a portable repeater with you and throw it on a mountain top and then just use HT's. My friends and I do this snowboarding. That's one example. Yes the downfall is everyone in the group that would be talking on the radio needs to have a license but as I've stated before there are more four wheeling hams out there then you think.

There are no real dumb questions you can ask that's why I started the thread.

Lot's of people are put off by Ham Radio because they though they had to learn morse code. That requirement was dropped for the Technician Class in 1990 and and as of December 2006 the code requirement is being dropped probably in February 2007 by the FCC.

I was lucky when I got my ticket KD6WJX back in 1991 that I had a mentor to help me learn and Percy kinda kicked me with his post in the CB know how thread. I figure if I can help answer questions and blow away the myths and misnomers that Ham Radio tends to have.

NUFC

Rig
Black Diamond M/T, Bandi antenna mount/ Yaesu FT-7800r, 4 Piece Budbuilt Skids(still need the gas tank skid), OME 886/895, All-Pro upper and lower links, Procomp 7089, Procomp Extreme M/T's, Project Overkill rails, BozTec diff Skid, sPOD.

as slow as you can and as fast as necessary

Always trust the Gene Genie

1965 FJ-40 Very Modified, very fun
1985 FJ-60 Very stock, evil plans in store.
post #29 of 104 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 09:10 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
I guess I'm slow but what is the advantage of HAM over CB for the intended use as a way to communicate with others while off-roading? That is what I've been told as to the reasoning for carrying a CB radio at off-road events and if I have a HAM radio, its useless unless someone else has a HAM radio also, right?
CB is perfect for trail conversations and will not be replaced by ham for the big gatherings. If you have buddies you ride with alot, it worth putting some pressure on them to upgrade to ham for clarity, distance, etc.

I hear there are some offroad groups that require ham radio com.

For big gatherings like the this weekend in Anza Borrego, it would be nice to have a few people with 2m radios, so you can break into groups and keep some com between the groups. There are a couple repeaters that cover that desert well.

Cell coverage is spotty in the "outback"... ham HF can always make contact and ham VHF/UHF via repeater usually can.

Another example... last week when people from san diego and LA were meeting up in the desert... we could have had a conversation via the 147.15 repeater for most of the 2+ hour drive out there if we wanted.

I would have liked to chat with Chris (frogeye) while driving back home, but CB did not have enough range and he drives too dang fast. ;-)

TRD SE, TRD Exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake
post #30 of 104 (permalink) Old 01-03-2007, 09:11 PM
Forum Master

Quote:
As others have already said...great thread with great information.

I would like to think that I understand (being an ex Navy "radioman/cryptotech") but are the HAM radios able to pick up the 27 meter CB frequencies?

If you have all-mode HF which covers 10 meter band (28Mhz), most of the newer equipment (will) cover 11 meter band continously. I say this in bracket because most of the HAM equipment comes with CB band disabled on purpose. Many of them have to be modified to cover the CB Frequencies. But is is easily done.

Unlike CB where the actual frequencies are pre assigned by channels number in the HAM radio you have the frequency assigned by steps continously (like tuning your car radio). The channel spacing depends on the mode you are using. You select the Frequencey using the keypad or the dial. Most of them also have memory banks so if you do not have the CB frequencies memorized in your head you could store them.

Having said this, the only two things you must pay attention to are the transmission mode and the power out put. CB has in the 5 watts range, wherease a mobile HAM Radio can put out 150 Watts. You must be in the correct mode in order to be able to communicate with are CB radios (not sure I think CB uses FM)

As long as you operate within the FCC rules, I dont see why you can not use HAM radio on CB band, unless there are other rules I am not awrare of. If you use the HAM radio for CB only it would be a bit overkill though...

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in