Fatmat/dynamat/rammatt sound deadening - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By MattM
  • 1 Post By Old Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendors

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to PcCruiser Send a message via MSN to PcCruiser
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Fatmat/dynamat/rammatt sound deadening

So I have a question. Maybe OC can weigh in.

How much does putting this stuff in all over the interior improve how quiet the on road drive is? Specifically for reducing the mud tires hum?

It doesn't bother me but I'm curious for long road trips when the wife is in the rig.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 10:00 AM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to MattM Send a message via Skype™ to MattM
Re: Fatmat/dynamat/rammatt sound deadening

Damping materials are pretty good at blocking outside noise, wind noise, exhaust noise and the sound created by your tires. Definitely noticable.

However, direct vibration from the tires through the metal is not damped nearly as well. So you may be disappointed after the expense and effort.

FWIW, I put quite a lot on my FJ. I consider it an essential part of my audio install, but I don't have noisy tires.

FJoel likes this.

- Matt

Last edited by MattM; 09-01-2013 at 10:04 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendors

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to PcCruiser Send a message via MSN to PcCruiser
(Thread Starter)

Ya I would put spray sound dampening in the frame as well to reduce a little bit of vibration. I figured it wouldn't get rid of all of it but at least make it a slight but better.

Thanks for your input and the pictures!

Road kill? Never heard of it before. How much did you end up using?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 11:19 AM
Forum Veteran

Garage

It the same as Dynamat, but I found a place selling it for a lot less $ than Dynamat.

Here is the stuff: Stinger Electronics | Products

And here's where I got it: Car Audio Stereo - Car Subwoofers - Car Amplifiers and Speakers

I used a total of two 36 sq ft bulk packs.

- Matt
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 01:56 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)

I find it ironic that Matt used a product that didnt have "mat" in it...

J/K

I have the FatMat and can say this from my experience. I think it does an outstanding job of keeping the stereo sound inside the rig. When I turn it up and step out- its very muffled to the outside world. This is good to me as I dont want to be one of those types who blast out others at intersections.

Unless you have some way of filling every nook and cranny, I cant see this helping much with road noise. The windows on the FJ and doors are thin and even with a great coating, dont make it sound like a Mercedes Benz. Unless you added like 400 lbs of the stuff, I doubt it will impress you that much.

What it does do well is make the small nuances and subtle sounds in certain music listenable while driving. Its like a "loudness" control for those sounds. Mainly in Jass and Classical which most of our members do not subscribe to. For the hard rock, dance music - it boosts the bass. This will be noticeable in the fact you dont need to turn it up as much so it does dampen some sounds outside but I believe it actually helps to keep interior sounds inside the FJ, making it seem louder.

I found a spray on type sound deadener and thought that may have been a better idea- covered 20 sg/ft for $10 a can. That used in conjunction with the rolled on mat would be better.

The main issue I have with Fat Mat is that it leaks. Ive found many spots where the oil based material inside has become liquid and seeped out. Its for this reason, I didnt use it for the headliner, fearing it would drip down and stain.
DallasDiy likes this.

The Crack Rock Toyeti- 2010 "almost stock"... SOLD to Colin
The Build-->https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ck-toyeti.html

The Epic Adventure-->https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...adventure.html

The GTR Build- Meet Zim---> https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...-meet-zim.html
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 04:14 PM
Forum Veteran

Garage

^^^. Agree with all of this.

FYI - I used carpet padding above my headliner. Seems to do better with wind noise.

- Matt
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I removed my complete interior and added dyna mat to every piece of bare metal and put black suede on my head liner, when everything went back it sounds like a mercedes "NO NOISE"

rockymtkid/
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage

Anybody ever used Second Skin Damp Pro ? or Hushmat ? I am getting ready to put some sound dampening in the back of my FJ and under the rear seat up to the back of the front seats. Hoping it reduces the noise from my TRD Muffler and All Pro high clearance exhaust pipe. Gets kinda loud inside and is annoying at times.

TLCA#21671 '07 Sun Fusion FJ/5AT/FrontRunner Roof Rack&Hi-Lift Jack Mount/ AP Tow Pkg/APx Front Bumper w Lg Prerun Light Bar/ComeUP Winch/Richocet Skid Plates/AP Rock Sliders/AP Rear Bumper/ Hi Clear Exhaust/3" Lift w/ OME Heavy Springs /OME Shocks/Total Chaos UCA's/ToyTec Lower Kits/URD MAF Sensor Cali/DP 2nd Battery/Top DogV Dual Oil Filter/PreFilter/JBA Long Headers/TRD Exhaust/Dual Horns/Rigid D2 LED's/General Grabbers 285x75x16's/OEM DLX Alum Wheels/OB Side Rack/Power Tank/Safari Snorkel/SCUBA Mods/S-pod/Kenwood DDX470/Sub/iPad2/InReach/Ultra-Gauge/FR 2M Awning /EdgeStar 43qt Fridge/Dennx Rear Storage Box/FR RTT/Rear IR Cam/BlackVue/Carbon Fibre Hood w/30" LED Bar
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 10:16 AM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Did the same as rockymtkid

Covered my entire truck with Hushmat. The wind noise is noticeably reduced, but saying that it rides silent isn't right though, the tires are defiantly noticeable but tamed. There are two pressure vents in the rear corners that let in some road noise so I got some $10 walmart foam pillows and plugged up the areas in the body behind the panels, including where the tail lights are.

In my opinion the addition of the mat wasn't the greatest for noise dampening. I just did stay in the FJ last night with outside temp at -10C. The added insulation made a difference. After spending $600 I found you can buy very similar material in rolls from industrial suppliers for a third of the price.

Pro tip from a friend: When you go to do this, get a heat gun and roll every inch onto the panels after install. If you don't, the next time its really hot out, you will also have a hot mess of tar inside of your panels.

I got picks here

07 FJ - Black Diamond
3' lift
285/17R70 wrangler duratrac's

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in