1 channel not working - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 11:43 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Re: 1 channel not working

Quote:
MAXXFJ previously said: View Post
I did find the box it came in, now if I can find the receipt. I do go to this PEP Boys alot & they do know my face, so maybe I'll give the return/swap a shot. I guess my new plan will be to replace each piece of the system one at a time with better equipment as it can be afforded. I guess the speakers should be first, (they are all aftermarket speakers now), because I'd rather have the better sounding speakers powered by the cheap amps instead of really good amps powering cheap speakers. If that makes any sense at all, ???
Be careful of going that route. Cheaper amps are more likely to clip the signal which will damage your speakers. I think the safer alternative would be to have a good amp with cheaper speakers initially. You'd be amazed what stock speakers sound like with a good amp powering them. Of course, you're then at risk of cranking it up too much and cooking the cheap speakers...

Black 07 6MT Blacked out including roof
Speedrye front bumper, Ricochet under, stock rear
Lighting by TRS, Rigid, Baja Designs & a Chinese sweatshop
Audio by JVC, Infinity, Alpine, Boston, MB Quart
17x9 Liquid Metal Gatlins in black wrapped in Kumho 315/70-17 MT's
Toyota Rock Rails, Toyoutfitters links, URD shifter, Engo 12K synthetic
Toytec/Bilstein/OME suspension lift
Light Racing UCAs and a 4crawler 1.25" body lift
Uniden Pro520XL CB w/ 3' Firestiks up front
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 12:12 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)

It should be in there system if you only bought it a month ago.. Yeah hit me up when you ready .. Sound deading is a good place to start first

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2013, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
ZoSoIV previously said: View Post
It should be in there system if you only bought it a month ago.. Yeah hit me up when you ready .. Sound deading is a good place to start first

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sound deading is a must for sure, but with the cold weather starting to set in I sure don't want to start tearing the interior apart right now. Wish I had a garage to work in. I think I'll deal with you for the better equipment when I'm in a better $$$ situation, you seem to know what your talking about & God knows I'll need all the help I can get. I'll be in touch.

No matter where you go,... There you are
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2013, 03:20 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)

cool man you don't have to break the bank to get a decent system, just making the right choices/matching up gear helps. I been into car audio for 40 plus years so I have a pretty good grip on things at this point

Last edited by ZoSoIV; 11-02-2013 at 09:13 PM.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Well,... As it turns out, I feel like a dip**** for sure, the real problem was a pinched/cut (+) RCA cable After going & shelling out another $80 for a new amp, driving home, going through the uninstall-reinstall, it still had a dead channel. Then I though, Oh $hit! The HU has a bad channel! So I decided to follow the suspect amp RCA's back through the FJ to the HU hoping to find one of them unplugged or something, I ended up finding the pinch/cut. It was under the plastic sill cover on the passenger side. I guess I missed one of the wire looms under there & it got pinched off. So all is well that ends well atleast. Returned the new amp, got my $80 back & picked up a new set of RCA's. The funny thing was when I had everything hooked back up & turned the key to power it up...No sound out of that speaker...STILL! Dumb A$$ strikes again, I had the fader set all to the rear to check something & forgot about rolling it back to even. Almost blew a gasket there for a second. I know the RCA's should have been checked from the start, but just didn't think of it. I feel as though I've learned quite a bit about the entire audio thing after this experience.

No matter where you go,... There you are
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2013, 07:20 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)

Quote:
MAXXFJ previously said: View Post
Well,... As it turns out, I feel like a dip**** for sure, the real problem was a pinched/cut (+) RCA cable After going & shelling out another $80 for a new amp, driving home, going through the uninstall-reinstall, it still had a dead channel. Then I though, Oh $hit! The HU has a bad channel! So I decided to follow the suspect amp RCA's back through the FJ to the HU hoping to find one of them unplugged or something, I ended up finding the pinch/cut. It was under the plastic sill cover on the passenger side. I guess I missed one of the wire looms under there & it got pinched off. So all is well that ends well atleast. Returned the new amp, got my $80 back & picked up a new set of RCA's. The funny thing was when I had everything hooked back up & turned the key to power it up...No sound out of that speaker...STILL! Dumb A$$ strikes again, I had the fader set all to the rear to check something & forgot about rolling it back to even. Almost blew a gasket there for a second. I know the RCA's should have been checked from the start, but just didn't think of it. I feel as though I've learned quite a bit about the entire audio thing after this experience.
good bc we are gonna test you on it later... stay sharp!

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in