Suspect Battery drainage after Viper alarm install - Page 4 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: Suspect Battery drainage after Viper alarm install

Quote:
RomaBoy previously said: View Post
drummer22, A 12.3 volts reading means the battery needs to be charged. Should be at least 12.65 volts. Support - Battery Care - Tech Tip Articles | OPTIMABATTERIES
Thanks for the link. Although I did not see anywhere that stated the 12.65 volts minimum that you quoted. Rather, it actually says that ideally a battery would not go below 12 volts, and 10.5 is minimum.

2007 FJ 6MT
Mods: TRD intake | Icon Stage 1 lift | Light Racing UCAs | Front diff drop | 285/70/17 Firestone Destination M/Ts | Trail-Gear Sliders | Demello single-hoop front bumper | In-cabin Scuba Mod | Gobi Stealth Roof Rack and Ladder | CB radio

Hook'em!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
jasonfjc previously said: View Post
I notice the FJ drains significantly more current when turned off than my RX-8. it takes forever for my battery tender to charge it up.
Do you have any aftermarket electronics installed on your FJ?
Would you mind testing how much current your FJ draws while just sitting there?

2007 FJ 6MT
Mods: TRD intake | Icon Stage 1 lift | Light Racing UCAs | Front diff drop | 285/70/17 Firestone Destination M/Ts | Trail-Gear Sliders | Demello single-hoop front bumper | In-cabin Scuba Mod | Gobi Stealth Roof Rack and Ladder | CB radio

Hook'em!
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 07:58 AM
Forum Master

Quoted: 75 Post(s)

Quote:
drummer22 previously said: View Post
Do you have any aftermarket electronics installed on your FJ?
Would you mind testing how much current your FJ draws while just sitting there?
nope, its factory.
I bet its somewhere close to 500mA cuz my battery tender is rated at 750mA. it still charges so cant be more than 750mA.

Other cars will get you somewhere, but a Land Cruiser will always get you home.
2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2017 Ford Mustang GT/CS
2015 Ducati Monster 1200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thumbs down Re: Suspect Battery drainage after Viper alarm install

i drive a New a Honda Accord and had to call AAA Twice since i Installed Viper Gps 12 month's ago. I am not using the remote starter options.Just using the GPS. and in the last 2 month's called AAA twice. the screen just wen't dead and light inside the car will go on flickering.once the vehicle started with jumper cable from AAA, then car was recharged as if nothing happen.

Does anyone knows what i can recommend my tech who installed VIPER to adjust or there is no remedies to this battery Drainage ?

Please,write if same thing happen to you.

Thank you everyone.
Ben
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 08:27 PM

I am experiencing similar problem. The last time, in a matter of three days my battery was dead (apparently the cold Winter makes it worse too). Today my mechanic checked my battery and he believes the battery is OK and something is draining the battery power when the car isn't running. I now suspect the culprit is the installed Viper/Python security system. Here are some details:

1- I had a few sensors installed: shock, proximity, tilt and hood opening. A GPS module is also installed but I have not activated or subscribed to its monthly service as of yet.
2- I always put the alarm system on full silent mode. If a sensor is triggered, I only receive a warning message on my remote control with no alarm sound coming out of the car.
3- I had this installed by an authorized Viper installer but, I suspect he wasn't much of an experienced technician maybe just starting this carrier. He doesn't even have a garage and did the installation in the back of his house.
4- He also couldn't figure out how to make the remote starter work. This is a manual FJ Cruiser. I searched online and couldn't find any information on whether there has ever been a successful remote start installation on a manual FJ cruiser so, I didn't insist on that aspect. The important part for me was the security aspect of this sensors.
5- The sensors often give a false alarm. I had the authorized technician once reduced the sensitivity of the shock sensor, but it's didn't help. I now suspect the culprit is the proximity sensor. In a busy street, it false alarms every minute or so. Even in the quietness of my backyard from time to time I receive a false alarm.

I wonder if the sensors drain power even in full silent mode?

Because of all this trouble with false alerts, I now just prefer not to activate this security system at all. I would rather just lock the car with the factory remote control key.

I do not feel comfortable going back to the first technician. I am debating now on whether remove the whole alarm system off the truck. Or, how can I be sure a second technician is competent enough to fix the problematic installation of the first one? How can I even be sure it is fixable at all? It seems these sensors drain battery power even if installed properly.

Battery tender is not a solution since I don't have any electric outlet near the truck (not really practical).

Smart start programmed to start the car on schedule is not an solution either since as I mentioned, the remote starter does not work at all.

If indeed, the security system is the culprit, does a solar charger provide enough power to prevent the battery from going dead? I guess I need to find one that directly connects to the battery the truck's cigarette lighter charger port doesn't work when the engine is off.

Other ideas?

Last edited by raminux; 01-06-2015 at 12:42 PM.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in