Polk Audio 6X9's - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Forum Regular
 
OnTheRocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Polk Audio 6X9's

I had the db690's in my Dodge Ram 2500, powered by about 250 watts (80RMS - per channel) and they were unbelievable - seriously uneblievable! I am not easy to impress in such regard either. I'm likely to go the same route for the FJ doors, BUT, I got to thinking and perhaps now is a good time to really splurg and snag the MMC690 6 x 9 inch three way's - carbon fiber -> http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/mmc690

They look to be about a 1/4 " deeper, so I'm not sure they'll fit witout spacers. Anybody else look into this setup?

I'm also likely to go the bigboy route and snag the single enlosed JL W7 12" sub: http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_e...=5&prod_id=303 . It's be 5 second removeable for obvious reasons. Dang, this rig is starting to set me back.

If I were smart, I'd just hold off for something like this:
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...hp?fit_id=1422
OnTheRocks is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 10:58 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Polk Audio 6X9's

Quote:
OnTheRocks previously said:
I had the db690's in my Dodge Ram 2500, powered by about 250 watts (80RMS - per channel) and they were unbelievable - seriously uneblievable! I am not easy to impress in such regard either. I'm likely to go the same route for the FJ doors, BUT, I got to thinking and perhaps now is a good time to really splurg and snag the MMC690 6 x 9 inch three way's - carbon fiber -> http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/mmc690

They look to be about a 1/4 " deeper, so I'm not sure they'll fit witout spacers. Anybody else look into this setup?

I'm also likely to go the bigboy route and snag the single enlosed JL W7 12" sub: http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_e...=5&prod_id=303 . It's be 5 second removeable for obvious reasons. Dang, this rig is starting to set me back.

If I were smart, I'd just hold off for something like this:
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...hp?fit_id=1422
Wait for the stealth box. I had one in my Tundra and loved it. Never got in the way and you never had to take it out. What kind of price can you get for the polk 6X9's?
funky_junk is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 11:05 AM
Forum Veteran
 
Perv3rse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Perv3rse
Re: Polk Audio 6X9's

Quote:
funky_junk previously said:
Wait for the stealth box. I had one in my Tundra and loved it. Never got in the way and you never had to take it out. What kind of price can you get for the polk 6X9's?
Thats only IF they decide to make one for the FJ. I wouldnt hold my breath. There are a bunch of vehicles that they never made one for that they probably should have.
Perv3rse is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 01:17 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Polk Audio 6X9's

Quote:
Perv3rse previously said:
Thats only IF they decide to make one for the FJ. I wouldnt hold my breath. There are a bunch of vehicles that they never made one for that they probably should have.
I have a feeling they will for this.
funky_junk is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular
 
OnTheRocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: Polk Audio 6X9's

Quote:
funky_junk previously said:
Wait for the stealth box. I had one in my Tundra and loved it. Never got in the way and you never had to take it out. What kind of price can you get for the polk 6X9's?
If you get them from an Ebay store, they go around $95 after shipping. I actually went against my own advise and bought a pair of MB Quart. I just wanted to hear if there was a difference. probably a mistake to deviate from what was great already, but we'll see. About $140 after shipping is the best price I came by on the MB's
OnTheRocks is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 09:44 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Polk Audio 6X9's

Those Carbon Fiber Polks appear to have the tweeter standing quite a ways from the speaker base... I'd be careful that it didn't rub against the grill. I suppose they do this to allow maximum woofer travel, but sometimes it can make mounting in a stock location difficult.

They look great though!
adam12hicks is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 12:39 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Polk Audio 6X9's

It would be easier to get a JL 8W6 and glass it in to what ever enclosure you would eant. Keep it out of the way. That box for the W7 would have to be huge to get ti to sound right. You would not have any room to carry any gear around at all.......
texis_300 is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2006, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Forum Regular
 
OnTheRocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: Polk Audio 6X9's

Quote:
texis_300 previously said:
It would be easier to get a JL 8W6 and glass it in to what ever enclosure you would eant. Keep it out of the way. That box for the W7 would have to be huge to get ti to sound right. You would not have any room to carry any gear around at all.......
I ended up with the JL 12" 6v2 The JL enclosure was not too big, but I'll definitely have to remove it everytime I want to haul anything of size

Last edited by OnTheRocks; 04-22-2006 at 12:19 AM.
OnTheRocks is offline  
Reply

  Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Audio System Quality mindcage General Discussion 12 03-26-2006 08:27 AM
Audio systems - Base versus upgrade 1 Holling General Discussion 16 03-03-2006 08:40 PM
Audio system has a name.... mappelman General Discussion 7 12-27-2005 07:56 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome