Cobra HH-38WXST, or Midland 75822...and why? - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: Cobra HH-38WXST, or Midland 75822...and why?

Quote:
AmityFJ previously said: View Post
I have the Midland. It's okay by itself, not the greatest transmission, but I think I will be adding a bandi mount and firestik before next spring. It got my choice for its versatilitiy.

DO NOT ORDER FROM AMAZON. I did this and waited forever (even though they said they had them in stock). I ended up cancelling my order from them and going to antonline.com. Got it pretty quick. I confirmed with them by phone to make sure they actually had them in stock.

ANTOnline.com - Midland 75-822 Midland 75-822 Handheld CB Radio with Vehicle Adapter

Hope this helps out. Wouldn't want santa to be late with a present

AmityFJ
Gery

As long as I get it before the next time I need it, guess it's ok.

Quote:
egecko previously said: View Post
Wallcott cb carries the midland and you can also find them at the larger wal-mart locations.

Thanks. I've searched around. Walcott has almost the highest price, @110 for the Midland. BuyReliant.com had 'em for 80. Haven't checked Wal-Mart though, so I'll add that to my list.

K

'07 FJ Voodoo Blue,
Toyo 295/70-17 M/T's
ToyTec custom lift
Expedition One front bumper
Expedition One rear bumper WITH CARRIER
Expedition One sliders
...and, some Moab dirt

'69 3/4t Camper Special Chevy
Orange w/white roof

'05 V-Star 650 Custom, Blue w/blue flames and lots of chrome

TLCA #16191
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Kansas Law Dog previously said: View Post
I went with the Cobra and used it on the trails during Summit I at Ouray last summer. I haven't been out with it since. I was able to communicate with w5wi all the way over Black Bear Pass.

Because the transmission / reception of all handhelds are limited, I'm thinking of getting a Bandi mount and coil up the coaxial cable inside the back door, not a full time or professional installation. Then just uncoil and connect to the handheld and screw in the antenna as needed.

Ooooh! I like the cable and antenna idea KLD! Thanks!

Quote:
NH_Joe previously said: View Post
I went with the Midland 75-822. Note that in portable configuration the reception is pretty limited. I added a bandi mount with 2' firestick and ran the coax from the bandi mount to my driver's side box on the top of the dash. (I've also added a 12V outlet to this box.) Plugging the midland into this setup greatly improves range.

An appropriate google search will reveal that it is a simple thing to convert the Midland 75-822 to "export" configuration with 120 channels. I am not endorsing this, just noting that it is possible.

Joe

I would hope that reception would be good enough for trail runs, but if not I'll take the 'KLD' approach. And as far as the "export" stuff, that's way over my head. This is all new to me. I just need to comunicate, as simple as possible.

Quote:
speedy previously said: View Post
Kathie,

If you haven't seen both first hand then I would recommend that you do. I was dead set on buying one of these handhelds until I went to my Local Fry's electronics and tried them out. Though not simulated in off road conditions, the amount of people playing with these things gives you a good idea of how they will look like in time.

For me:
Cobra: I did not like the bulkiness of the unit, complexity of still having to mount the control unit and the Push to talk seemed cheap. I also did not like the location of the small wheels to turn things off or on, volume control etc..

Midland: I liked it more but I did not like the power cord at the bottom and the Antenna cable on the top location. I would rather have both cables in the same location but not opposite. Extra wires just get in the way is what I felt. Besides I do not plan on carrying this around with me outside of the vehicle.

These might not be important to you but like I said you won't know until you try them. I was kind of bummed out until I came up with my own plug and play.

I myself bought the Uniden Pro520XL ($50 bucks online, $44 at Fry's online store but they charge AZ tax+ shipping for me,small unit, PA capability but the 510 is just as good and cheaper but no PA) added a $1.50 DC connector to connect to the aux power outlet and a "Little wil" mag mount antenna ($34). To make it even more plug and play I had some commercial grade Velcro (sold at Homedepot) and stuck one side to the back of the uniden and the other to the inside of the change holder location. The Commercial Velcro is strong stuff and keeps the Cb in its location. It is so strong that the Velcro allows me to position the CB on the fly for better angles toward the driver or the passenger. The best part is that there are no holes to drill, you can set it up in a few minutes, and the whole setup with antenna is about the same than if you bought just the Cobra or Midland which you will still need to buy an antenna and mounting hardware if not going the mag mount way.

I routed my mag mount antenna cable through the same location where everyone has done theirs. via the rear door/ jack area.

Good Luck,

Wow! A lot of info on the Cobra and Midland, thanks. Got any pics of your set-up?

K

'07 FJ Voodoo Blue,
Toyo 295/70-17 M/T's
ToyTec custom lift
Expedition One sliders
...and, some Moab dirt

Orange w/white roof

TLCA #16191
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
speedy previously said: View Post

Midland: I liked it more but I did not like the power cord at the bottom and the Antenna cable on the top location. I would rather have both cables in the same location but not opposite. Extra wires just get in the way is what I felt. Besides I do not plan on carrying this around with me outside of the vehicle.
The auto adaptor for the Midland 75-822 provides both power and antenna connections on the base of the unit, so this is a non-issue.

Joe
________
Glass Pipes

Last edited by NH_Joe; 09-10-2011 at 12:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
NH_Joe previously said: View Post
The auto adaptor for the Midland 75-822 provides both power and antenna connections on the base of the unit, so this is a non-issue.

Joe
Very good to know, thanks!

K

'07 FJ Voodoo Blue,
Toyo 295/70-17 M/T's
ToyTec custom lift
Expedition One sliders
...and, some Moab dirt

Orange w/white roof

TLCA #16191
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 01:25 PM
Forum Regular

Send a message via AIM to ikonxone Send a message via Yahoo to ikonxone

i am looking for a handheld for roadtrips to communicate between cars via cb instead cell phone. people say the reception is not that great without an antenna, but how far would it reach? if a few cars are driving down the freeway following each other would everyone be able to hear the handheld?
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 06:56 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)

Quote:
ikonxone previously said: View Post
i am looking for a handheld for roadtrips to communicate between cars via cb instead cell phone. people say the reception is not that great without an antenna, but how far would it reach? if a few cars are driving down the freeway following each other would everyone be able to hear the handheld?
Yes, but if the last vehicle fell behind and wasn't noticed, or everyone passed a slow vehicle except the last one, or the last one got caught at a light that everyone else made it through, communication would be lost once a 2-3 mile gap in spacing occurred. All handhelds are under 5 watt broadcast, and with a stubby antenna the range is short. This is the biggest knock on handhelds.

“Kansas Law Dog” for admiration of “Tombstone”, the movie, and the legend of Wyatt Earp.

2007 Titanium 4x4 Automatic (stock except non-factory rock rails)
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

(Thread Starter)

Santa delivered! Actually, I'm not sure if Santa is real. I think maybe it was my sister.

I got the Midland. It's a lot smaller than I thought, so now I like it even more.

Thanks guys for your input.

Kathie

'07 FJ Voodoo Blue,
Toyo 295/70-17 M/T's
ToyTec custom lift
Expedition One sliders
...and, some Moab dirt

Orange w/white roof

TLCA #16191

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in