Android Stereo Upgrade - Page 96 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

364Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #951 of 962 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 12:56 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Re: Android Stereo Upgrade

Any photos of it installed?

-B

Quote:
thane previously said: View Post
The radio reception is much improved. I am in between San Diego and LA stations and am able to keep much cleaner reception.
No HD reception.
Hands free phone mike is much better.
View angle and brightness much better.
Audio is also improved.
Spurious emissions jamming the alarm transmission is also fixed.

No CD or DVD which I never used.

4GB/32GB is a great increase with the larger/brighter screen makes GAIA more usable.
WiFi reception is still poor being burried in the dash.

2015 Camry SE
2012 Porsche Cayenne
2008 FJ Cruiser
2003 Camry LE (RIP)
2000 Mazda Miata
1997 Camao Z28 383ci supercharged
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #952 of 962 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:28 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

If I spent some time with the brackets the bottom of the screen could recess into the opening like others have done.
This is the 8" screen, 10" would cover AC vents.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4017.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	798.7 KB
ID:	1078568  
Loganbeere likes this.

KJ6FJC
post #953 of 962 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
thane previously said: View Post
If I spent some time with the brackets the bottom of the screen could recess into the opening like others have done.
This is the 8" screen, 10" would cover AC vents.
I just purchased a joying unit https://www.joyingauto.com/joying-la...-with-dsp.html

Are you using a different launcher then the stock Joying UI? I ask because what I see when I bench tested my unit (haven't installed it) is that all the app icons have these "rings" around them that the Joying UI puts around the apps. I really want to clean up the UI since the display looks wonderful.

Would like to learn about your install and any speaker upgrades you did.

Thanks -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #954 of 962 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:47 PM
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)

Quote:
rmorit01 previously said: View Post
I just purchased a joying unit https://www.joyingauto.com/joying-la...-with-dsp.html

Are you using a different launcher then the stock Joying UI? I ask because what I see when I bench tested my unit (haven't installed it) is that all the app icons have these "rings" around them that the Joying UI puts around the apps. I really want to clean up the UI since the display looks wonderful.

Would like to learn about your install and any speaker upgrades you did.

Thanks -
That is the same unit I installed less the 4g module which I doubt I will ever use.
Nova Launcher-Prime for simplifying the bloated chinese UI, hiding the top status bar and controlling icon size and spacing.
I also use PipTec green as a theme with green icons , old school text menus, and a live wallpaper that makes a green CRT sweeping scan line appearance "PipBoy" style.
Door speakers are Infinity reference 6x9 I forget the ohms, matched to Infinity Reference 3032cf 3.5" dash speakers.
I don't consider the FJ an optimal sound space, but with minimum effort this combo is very satisfying to my ears. The equalizer app is even better than the AutoPumkin, and much less distortion at higher power levels.

Biggest gripe is bluetooth pairing is occasionally lost, comes back with a power cycle.
FJou... likes this.

KJ6FJC
post #955 of 962 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 09:10 PM

Thanks I will take a look at nova launcher.
post #956 of 962 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 07:30 AM
Forum Master

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Garage

What's the latest and greatest head unit recommendation for a 2012 with the subwoofer and JBL speakers?

2012 Army Green "The Mule"
My Build / My Adventures
My YouTube Channel: Chicken River Offroad
http://www.chickenriveroffroad.com
post #957 of 962 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 08:26 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)

Quote:
crazysanman previously said: View Post
What's the latest and greatest head unit recommendation for a 2012 with the subwoofer and JBL speakers?
Depends on the features you want which vary from person to person , the best brands are Alpine, Pioneer and Kenwood in that order checkout there websites

post #958 of 962 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 08:34 AM
Mean Time Moderator

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1415 Post(s)
Garage

Has anyone plugged in a noise cancelling microphone to their unit?? if so a link please. I plugged in the supplied one and the background noise for callers is dreadful, they can't hear me.

2014- FJC Cement "Eddystone" US spec personal import - mods in progress https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...eddystone.html
post #959 of 962 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
ZoSoIV previously said: View Post
Depends on the features you want which vary from person to person , the best brands are Alpine, Pioneer and Kenwood in that order checkout there websites
In my Tacoma, I had an Alpine ILX207 that supported Android Auto and Apple Car play. It is a great unit and "just worked" with Android Auto. The only element that annoyed me with it is the low resolution of the screen 800X480. In the vehicle it seemed washed out and for a $550 device where the screen is the main interface it was a bit of a let down.

I recently went with a Joying pure Android head unit and it has pro's and con's too. Higher resolution screen so when it runs apps natively it looks impressive -- when it launches Android Auto, no so much. It is using Android Auto through my phone via Zlink which is another app. It seems to "magnify" the elements, making them super easy to read plus the screen is "larger".

The Joying is using a DSP and seems like a step up in quality but still not on par with the big 3 that ZosoIV identified. I am waiting to see if the new Sony XAV-7000 gets good reviews or if they make it available --- couldn't wait so went Joying for now which was plug and play using the Toyota harness they provide plus at $300 it fit my budget and is familiar to me as an Android user.
post #960 of 962 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:09 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)

Quote:
rmorit01 previously said: View Post

The Joying is using a DSP and seems like a step up in quality but still not on par with the big 3 that ZosoIV identified. I am waiting to see if the new Sony XAV-7000 gets good reviews or if they make it available --- couldn't wait so went Joying for now which was plug and play using the Toyota harness they provide plus at $300 it fit my budget and is familiar to me as an Android user.
Yeah Iím not real sure on the quality of that joying unit , in the past they havenít held up long for some people so hopefully it does , yeah Sony has gotten in the ball game and there higher end units are very good I wouldnít be afraid of buying one , agreed on the Alpine the resolution should be better but Alpine puts its marbles into SQ which canít be beat

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Tags
android , stereo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in