Lowrence 540c Mounted - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 09:04 PM
Wanderlust

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Lowrence 540c Mounted

Saw Scorpion in person today. The installation of the Lowrance GPS is one of the cleanest I've seen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
targa88 previously said: View Post
Do you have any close ups of Mike's mounting bracket?
I don't. He shipped it off to me, I received it and the Lowrence was installed without photos. PM him for details. It's very straight forward. The problem with that location is that there's not much to mount to. Not a lot of metal and unless you're willing to bolt through the roof (and I'm not), it's just a bit tricky.

Luckily I had CRUISER LARRY's expertise on this project. The wiring for everything including setting up relays, special fusing, a fuse block, running the wires from the back of the rig, forward, etc. was about an 18 hour job. The fuse block and the lights/GPS are connected to the auxiliary battery. As I mentioned before, the digital LED Quad and the GPS run without the key. The lights require the key to be in the "on" position. I also have the wiring for the Man-a-Fre auxiliary fuel tank in place (done at the same time) so that should go in very easily.

Quote:
mbisson previously said: View Post
Very nice install Larry.
Thanks.

Quote:
TCao previously said: View Post
Saw Scorpion in person today. The installation of the Lowrance GPS is one of the cleanest I've seen.
Thanks TC. I'm looking forward to the new and improved TC machine. I suspect that it's going to end up looking a bit like the AIR2AIR Starship.

There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unaltered, to find the ways that you have changed.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 10:47 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Whoa! You're getting the MAF aux tank too? Man your rig is outta site. Now we have to keep up with the Lamberts...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Air2air previously said: View Post
Whoa! You're getting the MAF aux tank too? Man your rig is outta site. Now we have to keep up with the Lamberts...
The Scorpion is never going to be in the class with the StarShip.

There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unaltered, to find the ways that you have changed.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 12:16 AM
Forum Superstar

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Shadow-Warrior previously said: View Post
Wow Larry, after talking on the phone I now see what your talking about on the mount CL made for the Lowrance antenna, very nice! What a clean install he did, I did notice, that you mounted the GPS a little different then I did in regards to the bracket. In your pics it looks like it extends out toward the windshield, is that correct? I may have to try that, humÖÖMine as you can see in the pic comes towards the occupantsÖ..I wonder if there is a difference and what it would be. I may have to take my mount down and switch it around and see how it performs. Anyways, the Scorpion is looking very Bad Azz now with the lights, I love it. I canít wait to hear how you like them tonight. Very nice buddy Iíll see if I can give you some more rep points.
SW, I mounted your bracket in Uphill's rig in a downward direction, as I thought it would position the Lowrance lower and farther back for the driver to see. It looks like you designed it to mount upward to tuck the GPS up higher. Seeing both pics shows how both directions can work well - the bracket is more versatile than you probably thought it would be - nice design.

" I'm not aware of too many things, but I know what I know, if you know what I mean..."

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... that way when you do criticize them, you're a mile away, and you have their shoes..."

W6LPB / WPOK492

TLCA #9632

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 02:56 AM
Emeritus Moderator

Quote:
cruiserlarry previously said: View Post
SW, I mounted your bracket in Uphill's rig in a downward direction, as I thought it would position the Lowrance lower and farther back for the driver to see. It looks like you designed it to mount upward to tuck the GPS up higher. Seeing both pics shows how both directions can work well - the bracket is more versatile than you probably thought it would be - nice design.
Great install job Larry, I wished I lived closer and I would have you do mine also. The Antenna bracket is awesome, I think I'm going to have steel your idea myself.

I never thought about a bracket, that I could mount the antenna too, so I don't have to put more holes in the roof. great job buddy. Rep Points to ya.

"Good people sleep peacefully at night safe in the knowledge that rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" (George Orwell)

TLCA Member : #18084

Honorary AZFJ Club Member

Honorary SoCal Club Member

FJ Cruiser Club Member

Meet The RAPTOR 2007 TRD SE

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 03:51 PM
Forum Master

ok now let's hear some "in use" reports on the lowrance...
1)how easy are inputs in the field if someone hands you a book or paper with numbers?
2) full sunlight screen visibliity? I would think with that high mount you would have great daylight visibility
3) glare/brightness of the screen at night...can you dim/change the color?
4) maps? are you happy with the topo maps, do they show plenty of trails and detail so you can explore?
just some questions since I really like that unit and if I was gonna give up my laptop setup it would be for that.

enjoy,
1leglance
KE7NKP
Disabled Explorers
Helping the handicapped independently access the backcountry
www.disabledexplorers.com
Voodoo Blue driver, night nurse, cigar smoker & all around happy camper
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 05:16 PM
Forum Master

Super job!
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 09:14 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

How about a setup where the laptop is kept in the glove compartment, hooked up to the Lowrance so you can keep doing the computer stuff when needed?
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 10:13 AM
Emeritus Moderator

Quote:
1leglance previously said: View Post
ok now let's hear some "in use" reports on the lowrance...
Quote:
1leglance previously said: View Post
1)how easy are inputs in the field if someone hands you a book or paper with numbers?
2) full sunlight screen visibliity? I would think with that high mount you would have great daylight visibility
3) glare/brightness of the screen at night...can you dim/change the color?
4) maps? are you happy with the topo maps, do they show plenty of trails and detail so you can explore?
just some questions since I really like that unit and if I was gonna give up my laptop setup it would be for that.
Ok, I have been running mine for about two weeks now in succession with my laptop running MS Streets & Trips GPS & De Lorme Street Atlas 08 Here are my findings so far.

Lance as far as punching Coordinates it is pretty straight forward. I’m a bit spoiled when it comes to using a laptop GPS system, you just punch in a start point then an end point and it draws a map and route to your destination. I’m still learning the system it is very powerful and will do allot of things for you. They do have a computer hookup you can buy for the BAJA 540c that allows you to use your laptop to make routes real easy then download them on the chip into the GPS unit. I think this is the way to go myself. I’ll be buying the little USB chip plug in from Lowrance.

The screen has four different brightness scales. When you turn the Unit on, it is very bright for daytime driving. All you have to do is hit the power button on the unit one more time and it dims it more, hit it again, and it dims it even more, one more makes it very dim. It works great while driving at night.

The unit comes with a base map of the US but is very basic. I purchased the extra detailed map #F103EX-S of the 10 central US States, this includes the following States. CO, KS, MO, AZ, NM, OK, TX, AR, MS, LA. The map detail is leaps and bounds over the MS & DeLrome products. It gives you actual Topo details, depths of any inland waterways, tiny little creeks, dirt roads, etc. The graphics are pretty cool too. The maps you have to buy extra are about $110. apiece. It’s a little expensive, but well worth the amount of detail that you get. It is kind of funny, I was talking with Larry the other night, and he called and said “Man! Did you know that when you get close to the end of the detailed map chip, it’s like blank!, it just stops. I laughed, and said yeh, I watched when I went to TN leaving just the Eastern side of Memphis I watched the screen change, it reverts back to the base map with very little detail.

So far I love the Unit, again I have only scratched the surface of its capabilities myself. It even has a RADAR function…Hummmm…

That’s my report so far, Larry can chime in here to when he gets back from AZ. I talked with him last night coming back running with Sean K. I understand that the Scorpion went trail riding with two ROCK BUGGIES on a level five trail with huge boulders. He said Sean broke an axe if that tells you anything about the trail he was on. I won’t say anymore, I’ll let Larry give you all the details of the ride.

Quote:
Air2air previously said: View Post
How about a setup where the laptop is kept in the glove compartment, hooked up to the Lowrance so you can keep doing the computer stuff when needed?

Todd, that could be alternative, The unit has a cord that comes off it with bare wires so you can hook up a serial port to the end for a computer connection. I plan on doing this myself, that way I can just plug the laptop up load a route to the Unit. I’m sure Larry will have his own report for everyone. Sorry Larry for the hijack of your own thread buddy.

"Good people sleep peacefully at night safe in the knowledge that rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" (George Orwell)

TLCA Member : #18084

Honorary AZFJ Club Member

Honorary SoCal Club Member

FJ Cruiser Club Member

Meet The RAPTOR 2007 TRD SE

Last edited by Shadow-Warrior; 12-15-2007 at 10:22 AM.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in