Sirius Sportster 5 install. Need help!! - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Forum Master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Sirius Sportster 5 install. Need help!!

Has anyone hard-wired there power supply to the vehicle, instead of using that big cigarette lighter adapter. I cannot power it directly to 12V DC power, due to the vehicle dock is for 5V DC, will probably fry something. Any help or advise is appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 07:17 PM
Forum Veteran

Re: Sirius Sportster 5 install. Need help!!

OK, there are a couple options for you. The best, and easiest to reverse install later, is to get a cigarette lighter socket kit from either NAPA, Pep-Boys, or Radio Shack, and use that. What I mean, is hard-wire the socket somewhere hidden (there's a lot of room behind the dash). If you need help on that, let us know. With your hard-wired socket behind the dash, you can then just plug in the Sirius and throw a quick layer of electrical tape around it. Then, when it's time to either remove the Sirius (or use it in another vehicle down the road), your plug is saved. The other way is to just break open the sirius cigarette lighter adapter, find the wires that connect to the 12V pos and ground, and solder on some wires to that, and then connect that somewhere behind the dash. I've done a couple installs this way, but I would recommend the "socket" way as your safest bet. I'm headed out the door, but if you have specific questions, you can email me. [email protected] (i'll try to answer them as best I can).

"JULIET" is my '07 VooDoo Blue 6MT Hybrid (Gas/Air) /16" AR Chamber "Teflons" / MT 305 MTZ / TLCA#17788 / OME 886/895 / MAGNAFLOW Exhaust / ARB Sliders / AP Bumper & Skid / Warn 9.5xp / Viking line & fairlead
AVIC-D3 / Viper / Alpine PDX-5 / Type R 6.5 Comp / Type R 6.5 Coax in PODS / WickedCAS w/ 2 10w1v2's

"60 percent of the time, it works every time."--Sex Panther Cologne
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Forum Master

(Thread Starter)

Thanks for your help VooDude, I will use the "socket" way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 01:03 PM
Forum Regular

I have a sportster 4 wired to the fuse box (unswitched so I can pause with the car off) using "VooDude's" second option.

I however did not solder anything, I took my cigarette adapter apart and used those wire twist caps to join the wires back together. The one end of the PCB has a spring soldered to it. For this I just wrapped the exposed wire around this spring a few times and then taped it securely using electrical tape.

Works fine, hopefully shouldn't be a fire risk since its all taped up really well.

Here are some photos of my install.

Driver View

Passenger View

AUX Jack

AUX Jack Closer

I still need to figure out what I am doing with the trim piece that is still removed in the photos. I am trying to find a spare trim piece before I start hacking it up and putting holes in it.

Last edited by Delta-9; 01-13-2008 at 01:16 PM.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in