Computer mount...topography program...marine antenna? - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Re: Computer mount...topography program...marine antenna?

Quote:
I looked into the Ram mount and saw one in person and it is very bulky for the passenger. My co-pilot (wife) would not have it in our rig.
I am in the process of fabbing my own mount using 3/4" copper water piping. I think it will look nice as well as functional. I should actually have it done in the next couple of days. The laptop will be between us, but out of the way of the driver. It will swivel so both can view the monitor.
I have bought the National Geographic TOPO's and it runs really well with my GPS.
I have installed 3 extra 12v outlets behind the dash to power my laptop. It's really handy to only have a thin power cord to deal with. My GPS takes its power from the laptop when plugged in.
Good luck.
Sounds like what i want...Yea i dont like the stuff that mounts to the seat and floor...I was thinking of fabbing something that folds out from under the dash and swivels...I will buy mounting accessories and fab it myself...might be a bit difficult but definitely worth it if i can pull it off

Is the GPS a separate unit with its own screen? Does the GPS display on the computer screen? Can i get a GPS for a computer? like a program with a USB antenna or a seperate unit that runs off the computer but without the screen? I want the GPS and topo all in one on my existing computer if i could...I dont want to buy a motion sensing comp...possible?

stucks

MY FJ IS FOR SALE!
Silver '07 FJCruiser A/T
VSC Cancel Switch, Pioneer AVIC Z2, MTX amp/subwoofer, Cobra 29 CB w/ PA, Bandi Mount, Manik Guards, RC 6inch lift, Straight Pipe Exhaust, Enduro KMC Beadlocks, Mickey Thompson 35" Baja Claws
briwilbarn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 11:17 AM
Forum Superstar
 
sonof40's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Ramon, CA
Posts: 3,089
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Re: Computer mount...topography program...marine antenna?

Quote:
briwilbarn previously said: View Post
Sounds like what i want...Yea i dont like the stuff that mounts to the seat and floor...I was thinking of fabbing something that folds out from under the dash and swivels...I will buy mounting accessories and fab it myself...might be a bit difficult but definitely worth it if i can pull it off

Is the GPS a separate unit with its own screen? Does the GPS display on the computer screen? Can i get a GPS for a computer? like a program with a USB antenna or a seperate unit that runs off the computer but without the screen? I want the GPS and topo all in one on my existing computer if i could...I dont want to buy a motion sensing comp...possible?
Delorme has the software and the antenna that will work on any laptop.

Steve
TLCA 14294
KJ6DAA

http://1971fj40.blogspot.com/

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true."
Demosthenes c.383-322 BC
sonof40 is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 11:40 AM
Forum Master
 
nevadaesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pahrump NV
Posts: 1,162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Computer mount...topography program...marine antenna?

Quote:
briwilbarn previously said: View Post
Sounds like what i want...Yea i dont like the stuff that mounts to the seat and floor...I was thinking of fabbing something that folds out from under the dash and swivels...I will buy mounting accessories and fab it myself...might be a bit difficult but definitely worth it if i can pull it off

Is the GPS a separate unit with its own screen? Does the GPS display on the computer screen? Can i get a GPS for a computer? like a program with a USB antenna or a seperate unit that runs off the computer but without the screen? I want the GPS and topo all in one on my existing computer if i could...I dont want to buy a motion sensing comp...possible?
I've had the GPS unit already and used its screen for quite some time. With the laptop, connection is made between them with USB. I use the laptop screen only now. The interface is seemless. When we go out now, we can see exactly where we are on the monitor in real time. We can create a real time route and save it for the future. We have been on roads that were not shown on the TOPO, created a route and now we can go back at any time and not get lost.
As far as an intragal computer/GPS, I bet they are out there.
One great thing about this forum is the wealth of info that shows up. Why invent the wheel again.

KF7FHU

'07 Sun Fusion, set up for the long haul
nevadaesh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: Computer mount...topography program...marine antenna?

Quote:
Delorme has the software and the antenna that will work on any laptop.
Wow you are right...just had to look a little closer Looks like I will be getting the Earthmate with TopoUSA...thanks for all your suggestions! Now if i could just figure out the internet part...

stucks

MY FJ IS FOR SALE!
Silver '07 FJCruiser A/T
VSC Cancel Switch, Pioneer AVIC Z2, MTX amp/subwoofer, Cobra 29 CB w/ PA, Bandi Mount, Manik Guards, RC 6inch lift, Straight Pipe Exhaust, Enduro KMC Beadlocks, Mickey Thompson 35" Baja Claws
briwilbarn is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: Computer mount...topography program...marine antenna?

Quote:
I've had the GPS unit already and used its screen for quite some time. With the laptop, connection is made between them with USB. I use the laptop screen only now. The interface is seemless. When we go out now, we can see exactly where we are on the monitor in real time. We can create a real time route and save it for the future. We have been on roads that were not shown on the TOPO, created a route and now we can go back at any time and not get lost.
As far as an intragal computer/GPS, I bet they are out there.
One great thing about this forum is the wealth of info that shows up. Why invent the wheel again.
Which GPS do you have? and do you have TopoUSA? Roof antenna that leads from handheld?

stucks

MY FJ IS FOR SALE!
Silver '07 FJCruiser A/T
VSC Cancel Switch, Pioneer AVIC Z2, MTX amp/subwoofer, Cobra 29 CB w/ PA, Bandi Mount, Manik Guards, RC 6inch lift, Straight Pipe Exhaust, Enduro KMC Beadlocks, Mickey Thompson 35" Baja Claws
briwilbarn is offline  
Reply

  Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HAM Antenna and the Bandi Mount MountainMan Stereo / Electronics / Electrical 31 02-11-2016 09:59 AM
Bandi CB Antenna Mount desertcruiser Interior / Exterior Visual Tech 72 03-18-2013 07:34 AM
Any idea what antenna mount this is?? LandCruiserSteve Stereo / Electronics / Electrical 2 08-07-2007 02:09 PM
CB Antenna mount options... SteveFJ Stereo / Electronics / Electrical 1 01-23-2007 01:03 PM
All-Pro Bandi CB Antenna Mount smack Stereo / Electronics / Electrical 10 11-16-2006 06:38 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome