Computer mount...topography program...marine antenna? - Page 2 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Re: Computer mount...topography program...marine antenna?

Quote:
I looked into the Ram mount and saw one in person and it is very bulky for the passenger. My co-pilot (wife) would not have it in our rig.
I am in the process of fabbing my own mount using 3/4" copper water piping. I think it will look nice as well as functional. I should actually have it done in the next couple of days. The laptop will be between us, but out of the way of the driver. It will swivel so both can view the monitor.
I have bought the National Geographic TOPO's and it runs really well with my GPS.
I have installed 3 extra 12v outlets behind the dash to power my laptop. It's really handy to only have a thin power cord to deal with. My GPS takes its power from the laptop when plugged in.
Good luck.
Sounds like what i want...Yea i dont like the stuff that mounts to the seat and floor...I was thinking of fabbing something that folds out from under the dash and swivels...I will buy mounting accessories and fab it myself...might be a bit difficult but definitely worth it if i can pull it off

Is the GPS a separate unit with its own screen? Does the GPS display on the computer screen? Can i get a GPS for a computer? like a program with a USB antenna or a seperate unit that runs off the computer but without the screen? I want the GPS and topo all in one on my existing computer if i could...I dont want to buy a motion sensing comp...possible?

stucks

MY FJ IS FOR SALE!
Silver '07 FJCruiser A/T
VSC Cancel Switch, Pioneer AVIC Z2, MTX amp/subwoofer, Cobra 29 CB w/ PA, Bandi Mount, Manik Guards, RC 6inch lift, Straight Pipe Exhaust, Enduro KMC Beadlocks, Mickey Thompson 35" Baja Claws
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 11:17 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Re: Computer mount...topography program...marine antenna?

Quote:
briwilbarn previously said: View Post
Sounds like what i want...Yea i dont like the stuff that mounts to the seat and floor...I was thinking of fabbing something that folds out from under the dash and swivels...I will buy mounting accessories and fab it myself...might be a bit difficult but definitely worth it if i can pull it off

Is the GPS a separate unit with its own screen? Does the GPS display on the computer screen? Can i get a GPS for a computer? like a program with a USB antenna or a seperate unit that runs off the computer but without the screen? I want the GPS and topo all in one on my existing computer if i could...I dont want to buy a motion sensing comp...possible?
Delorme has the software and the antenna that will work on any laptop.

Steve
TLCA 14294
KJ6DAA

http://1971fj40.blogspot.com/

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true."
Demosthenes c.383-322 BC
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 11:40 AM
Forum Master

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
briwilbarn previously said: View Post

I've had the GPS unit already and used its screen for quite some time. With the laptop, connection is made between them with USB. I use the laptop screen only now. The interface is seemless. When we go out now, we can see exactly where we are on the monitor in real time. We can create a real time route and save it for the future. We have been on roads that were not shown on the TOPO, created a route and now we can go back at any time and not get lost.
As far as an intragal computer/GPS, I bet they are out there.
One great thing about this forum is the wealth of info that shows up. Why invent the wheel again.

KF7FHU

'07 Sun Fusion, set up for the long haul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
Delorme has the software and the antenna that will work on any laptop.
Wow you are right...just had to look a little closer Looks like I will be getting the Earthmate with TopoUSA...thanks for all your suggestions! Now if i could just figure out the internet part...

stucks

MY FJ IS FOR SALE!
Silver '07 FJCruiser A/T
VSC Cancel Switch, Pioneer AVIC Z2, MTX amp/subwoofer, Cobra 29 CB w/ PA, Bandi Mount, Manik Guards, RC 6inch lift, Straight Pipe Exhaust, Enduro KMC Beadlocks, Mickey Thompson 35" Baja Claws
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
I've had the GPS unit already and used its screen for quite some time. With the laptop, connection is made between them with USB. I use the laptop screen only now. The interface is seemless. When we go out now, we can see exactly where we are on the monitor in real time. We can create a real time route and save it for the future. We have been on roads that were not shown on the TOPO, created a route and now we can go back at any time and not get lost.
As far as an intragal computer/GPS, I bet they are out there.
One great thing about this forum is the wealth of info that shows up. Why invent the wheel again.
Which GPS do you have? and do you have TopoUSA? Roof antenna that leads from handheld?

stucks

MY FJ IS FOR SALE!
Silver '07 FJCruiser A/T

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in