Pioneer Avic-D3 thoughts - Page 5 - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 02:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Pioneer Avic-D3 thoughts

Quote:
dwnandrty previously said: View Post
Well I finally got mine(FJ)! YAY ME! Anyways it has a d3 installed with no map disk. Does any one know where you can get just the disks. I can't find them anywhere? Thanks
Pioneer. Expect to pay some $$ though if I recall they are around 150-250$ for both of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 10:56 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Looking back on Al and Eds D3 special (from the link on page 3) it looks like you do get the $200 off the top for a $799 price tag and then they give you an additional $100 for a bottom line of $699 plus shipping. Not bad.

JTCruiser: Why do you say get them while they last? Are they being discontinued? What is taking their place?

Les
post #43 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 12:21 PM
Forum Veteran

Quote:
ljorges previously said: View Post
Looking back on Al and Eds D3 special (from the link on page 3) it looks like you do get the $200 off the top for a $799 price tag and then they give you an additional $100 for a bottom line of $699 plus shipping. Not bad.

JTCruiser: Why do you say get them while they last? Are they being discontinued? What is taking their place?

Les
2 Things,

1. Make sure you know the difference between the avic-d3 and the avic-d3X (includes a bunch of xtras, the Blue Tooth adapter, the Ipod cable, and the remote, with a retail value well over $200)
Some retailers are selling the D3 without the package. The package sells for $999, while the the D3 alone sells for $799 at some retailers. Less $200 at the front or back end depending on where you buy.
So just be clear on the distinction between D3 and D3X.
We offer both at a slight discount from either of those prices btw.

2. The D3 is has been discontinued, and Pioneer's next unit is not due for a while, and will be different, from what we've heard and seen, it will resemble the old Kenwood unit more with built in nav.
The prices on the D3 are extremely aggressive right now, and their new unit will probably come in at a $900-$1100 range. So getting the package for $799 is really a good price, especially as it includes the Blue tooth, and many states are requiring hands free kits in cars now.

Also in our opinion the Pioneer Nav is the best nav out there, both in terms of amount of information, as well as usability and intuitive interface.
We sell the Alpine, Eclipse, Kenwood, and Pioneer, and probably sell twice as many Pioneer units as all the others combined.

Hope that helps clear up some of the issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 12:25 PM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Thanks JT, that did clear up a few things.
post #45 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 09:06 AM
Forum Regular

[QUOTEAlso in our opinion the Pioneer Nav is the best nav out there, both in terms of amount of information, as well as usability and intuitive interface.QUOTE]

Not sure I can agree with that. I love my D3, dont get me wrong, but finding an address and really the whole navigation function on the D3 is NOT very user friendly. It has millions and millions of POI's, but you cant search for them easily unless you're driving by one. Also, it's nice that it has phone numbers too, but you can't search by phone number, and it isnt easy info to find. I've owned TOMTOM, Garmin, and a knock off brands and they were all easier to use in IMHO. I think it's the one area that Pioneer got wrong on the D3. Certainly others will disagree.
post #46 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 09:27 AM

Which ipod is everyone using? I'm thinking about getting the new ipod classic (80gb). Has anyone had experience with this unit and the avic d3? I plan on leaving the ipod in my fj at all times except to upload music. Would i be better off getting an older and cheaper ipod off ebay?
post #47 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 09:37 AM
Forum Master

Well we picked one up at the Al & Ed's in Ontario last Monday for 499.00 (200 off included already like JT said!) best price in store that we could find, we opted not to get the blue tooth because i have verizon and that is a problem we are told. we ordered the harness and dash kit from crutchfield and new speakers too, hopefully wrigman will get the thing in before Ouray(Just kidding!) waiting for the stuff from crutchfield then he will do the install, it is killing him having the thing just sitting in the box right now(but he's reading up on the install)!!! we will post pics on nala's thread when it is completed.
Circuit city's ad had the eclipse unit for 399 and free installation but guess what, they didn't have any in stock at any of the so-cal stores, we tried to get that great deal! but bait and switch they tried, it's easy to advertise a great price when you do not have any more to sell!!!! they offered the display unit for more $$$ we said uh NO! if it was 399 in the ad why would we pay more for a used one??? manager says "that's the best i can do", we said "enjoy your display!"
can't wait to play with it! We don't have an ipod but have the creative zen which will play through the plug in the front just like with the stock unit!

07 FJ, 2wd, modded pre-runner, Click the link below for Nalas build up thread:
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...tml#post734413

Sandabbe <><
post #48 of 48 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
sandabbe previously said: View Post
Well we picked one up at the Al & Ed's in Ontario last Monday for 499.00 (200 off included already like JT said!) best price in store that we could find, we opted not to get the blue tooth because i have verizon and that is a problem we are told. we ordered the harness and dash kit from crutchfield and new speakers too, hopefully wrigman will get the thing in before Ouray(Just kidding!) waiting for the stuff from crutchfield then he will do the install, it is killing him having the thing just sitting in the box right now(but he's reading up on the install)!!! we will post pics on nala's thread when it is completed.
Circuit city's ad had the eclipse unit for 399 and free installation but guess what, they didn't have any in stock at any of the so-cal stores, we tried to get that great deal! but bait and switch they tried, it's easy to advertise a great price when you do not have any more to sell!!!! they offered the display unit for more $$$ we said uh NO! if it was 399 in the ad why would we pay more for a used one??? manager says "that's the best i can do", we said "enjoy your display!"
can't wait to play with it! We don't have an ipod but have the creative zen which will play through the plug in the front just like with the stock unit!
I also have the D3 and a creative vision w. I play my music and video through the front aux port on the D3 works like a charm. I also have the infared remote for the creative. It works just as good as the touchscreen interface for the ipod. Instead of touching the screen, touch the remote. Simple. The only thing is you will have a wire coming from the front of your D3 as opposed to the ipod wire which is tucked away in my glovebox. I may get an ipod down the line but I am in no rush anymore. In addition, I now have my old xbox hooked to the unit as well. The xbox sits behind my passenger seat with all wires tucked between the passenger seat and the center console. Pretty clean too. Now even if I needed to I could play dvds on my xbox so that I wouldnt have to swap out my navigation disk. But then again with all of the videos and movies on my creative zen w, there is no real need for dvds either. This is a great system. Remember there is an outlet in the back of the FJ. Just get a long enough black (blends in better) extension cord, run it behind the factory sub, then between the back passenger seat and the suicide door, then along the bottom side of that seat and along the floor and then finally under the front passenger seat. The extension cord can either be taped to the floor in the back seat foot well area or you can simply just recover it with the floor mats. Now that I have my extension cord stealthly placed it is easy to plug in all my appliances and gadgets from my front seat. To turn my xbox on, all I have to do is press the 115 VAC/100W power outlet button located with the rest of my dash control buttons and the xbox just powers up. Simple. With the D3 the possibilities are endless. If your device plays video or audio and is capable of outputting video or audio the D3 should be able handle it well probably not high definition video but you know what I mean. Enjoy

--2007 Titanium Silver 4x2-- Upgrade Package 1 & 2 Both Locking RR Diff and Auto LSD, Avic D3 with Ipod Interface w/ sub, Steering wheel controlled audio, running boards, tinted widows, AVS Sun Visors, Industrial Forming Console Cover, xbox, keyless entry alram, lojack, passenger side armrest, Rear door cargo storage, billet door sills, back seat interior light install...

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in