adjusting gain & subwoofer tuning - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Forum Veteran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
adjusting gain & subwoofer tuning

i need to fix some querks in my new W3 setup...im running 750 watts rms to them. what i usually do is turn the gain all the way down on the amp. after i turn the volume up to the point where it is loud and still clear...then i turn the amp for the sub up to the point where it gets distorted...then a little bit back down...only thing is now i got a bass knob and i cant find an average in between songs..anyone got advise...BTW wickedcas with w3 BUMP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: adjusting gain & subwoofer tuning

Honostly, I have my gain on MAX for my subs and speakers, some say it's not bright, some say it's fine. I do this because with the gain knob all the way up, my speakers and subs get louder FASTER, and Infinity Kappas and most other acoustical speakers sound horrid without the gain up (unless they have a line driver) so I always keep the gain up on those, don't really get any distortion either.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 10:06 PM
Forum Superstar

Quote:
SteamFire previously said: View Post
Honostly, I have my gain on MAX for my subs and speakers, some say it's not bright, some say it's fine. I do this because with the gain knob all the way up, my speakers and subs get louder FASTER, and Infinity Kappas and most other acoustical speakers sound horrid without the gain up (unless they have a line driver) so I always keep the gain up on those, don't really get any distortion either.
the distortion you are getting is inaudible to the untrained ear. it is called clipping. it is the number one killer of speakers. on an oscilliscope it looks like DC power. a square wave. so if you look at a square wave, the woofer will move out and hold that position building up heat for a period of time, then move in and stay there. it does exactly what the wave looks like.

i dont have time to explain this in detail, so look here:
JL Audio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Briman42487 previously said: View Post
the distortion you are getting is inaudible to the untrained ear. it is called clipping. it is the number one killer of speakers. on an oscilliscope it looks like DC power. a square wave. so if you look at a square wave, the woofer will move out and hold that position building up heat for a period of time, then move in and stay there. it does exactly what the wave looks like.

i dont have time to explain this in detail, so look here:
JL Audio
So if one of my speakers was "killed" how would I notice it? I would assume no sound or bad sound would come out of it, correct? It's quite hard to notice it right now I would assume mainly due to the interference that I'm getting (which should be solved tomorrow). I will turn the gain down to half way just to be safe.

Last edited by SteamFire; 02-11-2008 at 11:20 PM.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in