Ken DNX7100 w/iPod adapter, no video? - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Supporting Member
(Thread Starter)
Ken DNX7100 w/iPod adapter, no video?

I just got back from the local Kenwood car audio shop where I had to buy the iPod adaptor for my DNX7100 install this weekend. I thought that I could use the Kuda harness to plug my iPhone into the unit but it looks like the best option will be the Kenwood unit (KCA-ip300v).

But, the guy, after I pay for it tells me that he doesn't think that the video will work due to Apple not allowing the video signal into "3rd party units". I scratch my head and ask "why would Kenwood make this then if it won't work to bring video into the unit"? He didn't have an answer but he "heard" that it wouldn't work. I ask "then why am I buying it"? If I can't plug my iPod video or iPhone into it, what good is it?

Any of knowledgeable people have any insight on this bit if information? The Kuda mount as RGB outputs that I can only assume I could plug into the DNX7100 input (yellow - video, red/black - audio) but I wouldn't be able to control the iPhone/iPod from the head unit.

Anyway, I guess I'll find out in the morning when I do the install, just found it surprising that the guy would tell me this after I bought it then can't explain why the unit would have a "video input" for the DNX7100 if the video wouldn't work.

Just doesn't make much sense to me...

See me on ih8mud...
'07 GSJ15, well enhanced SOLD
'97 FZJ80 OME J
'77 FJ45
Olde North State Cruisers TLCA delegate
Train Hard, Rest Harder
TLCA 17784 - FCC KJ4KGF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 12:26 PM
Forum Regular

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Ken DNX7100 w/iPod adapter, no video?

I have the DNX7100 and use my iPod video with it using the kenwood video iPod adapter. The video DOES work! Don't think it'll work with the iPhones, but since I don't have one I really can't verify. Kenwood just came out with a firmware update so you can use your iPod touch. I could be wrong, again, because I don't have the touch. Here's a link for the latest firmware for the deck, it came out recently.

Kenwood Corporation / firmware updater

Grats on the new deck! I kind of want the new one that kenwood has coming. Nazar's post on the DNX8120

2007 FJ Cruiser = STOLEN NOV '09
Didn't have the heart to replace it..

Now driving 2012 4Runner Trail Edition

"Sappers lead the way!"

FJ Towing Avenger

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

Yeah, I saw the new deck but I got such a good deal on the DNX7100 from FJCruiser audio, I couldn't resist.

From looking at the firmware update, it appears that the iPhone may NOT be compatible since the iTouch is audio only. Might be an "oh well" and a wait and see when they can get the iPhone compatible with the deck. I'll follow up tomorrow after I do the install...

See me on ih8mud...
'97 FZJ80 OME J
'77 FJ45
Train Hard, Rest Harder
TLCA 17784 - FCC KJ4KGF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 01:14 PM
Banned

I havent tryed since the update but video works on 5th gen ipods, NOT with Iphones...Ill check this weekend too..
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 02:10 PM
Forum Regular

I have DNX7100 and a video Ipod. It works just fine on the unit. I will say a DVD looks much better than the Ipod video on the DNX7100 because of the formatting differences.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 08:21 PM
Forum Regular

According to the description on Crutchfield.....
HTML Code:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-nx30H5fdbkL/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?i=113IP300V
looks like the video should play....using Kenwood controls.

Quote:
Mtbcoach previously said: View Post
I just got back from the local Kenwood car audio shop where I had to buy the iPod adaptor for my DNX7100 install this weekend. I thought that I could use the Kuda harness to plug my iPhone into the unit but it looks like the best option will be the Kenwood unit (KCA-ip300v).

But, the guy, after I pay for it tells me that he doesn't think that the video will work due to Apple not allowing the video signal into "3rd party units". I scratch my head and ask "why would Kenwood make this then if it won't work to bring video into the unit"? He didn't have an answer but he "heard" that it wouldn't work. I ask "then why am I buying it"? If I can't plug my iPod video or iPhone into it, what good is it?

Any of knowledgeable people have any insight on this bit if information? The Kuda mount as RGB outputs that I can only assume I could plug into the DNX7100 input (yellow - video, red/black - audio) but I wouldn't be able to control the iPhone/iPod from the head unit.

Anyway, I guess I'll find out in the morning when I do the install, just found it surprising that the guy would tell me this after I bought it then can't explain why the unit would have a "video input" for the DNX7100 if the video wouldn't work.

Just doesn't make much sense to me...

2007 Silver/Titanium
Purchased 5-11-07
Stock
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar

(Thread Starter)

Quick follow up before install...I plugged my iPhone into my wife's DNX7100 with the ip300v adapter and it did NOT play video or give iPod controls for the audio. She does NOT have the most recent update as posted above. Her video iPod DOES work fully w/video.

I'm going to do the firmware update on mine as I install and hope it works even though it doesn't list the iPhone as part of the update...

See me on ih8mud...
'97 FZJ80 OME J
'77 FJ45
Train Hard, Rest Harder
TLCA 17784 - FCC KJ4KGF
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 11:53 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)

I'm sure NAZAR can help you. He did a great job selling it to us.

Steve
TLCA 14294
KJ6DAA

http://1971fj40.blogspot.com/

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true."
Demosthenes c.383-322 BC
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 01:20 PM
Forum Veteran

If using the Iphone you can only take video out of the phone jack, Apple did a little something to lock the video out, but regular ipod should work if it doesn't we have firm ware the update, and is very simple to do, if any body needs it e-mail me.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-18-2008, 10:17 PM
Forum Veteran

Quote:
jt's cruiser previously said: View Post
If using the Iphone you can only take video out of the phone jack, Apple did a little something to lock the video out, but regular ipod should work if it doesn't we have firm ware the update, and is very simple to do, if any body needs it e-mail me.
Can you email me the firmware update
I do not have the box mine came in and don't feel like pulling it out of the dash to get the serial number

"Live Long and Prosper"

Fourx4ord Voodoo Build
https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...doo-build.html

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in