Stereo Setup Help - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar
 
Offroad94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Posts: 2,132
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Stereo Setup Help

I am redoing my sound system in two stages and need some advice, I just picked up a Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD head unit. It is an older unit but I loved it in my last fj and wanted it again. After Christmas I will upgrade the whole sound system but it not that far up on my to do list right now. It looks like this is all I need for the harness to hook up to the car with JBL unit? Toyota FJ Cruiser Double Din Car Stereo Radio Install Dash Trim Kit JBL Harness Also can anyone recommend to me a kit for the steering wheel controls? I found this one: Amazon.com: Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface: Car Electronics

When I do get rid of the speakers I will be installing
1. Pioneer TS-A878 3 1/2 Inch 2-Way Speakers (dash and rear pillars)
2. Pioneer TS-A6965R 6" x 9" 3-Way TS Series Coaxial Car Speakers or Pioneer TS-A6994R A-Series 6"x9" 5-Way 600 Watts in the doors
3. Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 8-inch Shallow-Mount Subwoofer with 600 Watts Max Power (Trunk)


Last time I used Pioneer GM-D9500F Amp to install all speakers and no sub. I would like to just use one amp again if i can. The head unit has a built in MOSFET 50 W x 4 amp. I was thinking of using this for some of the 3.5 speakers and using a 5 channel amp to run the rest? Makes sense? Any recommendations on a amp that wont break the bank and will still fit under the front seat? The last pioneer amp fit perfectly.

Last edited by Offroad94; 10-31-2015 at 12:48 PM.
Offroad94 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 12:51 PM
Supporting Vendor
 
INDYFJCRUISERS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
Posts: 1,370
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Garage
Lifetime Supporting Member
Re: Stereo Setup Help

@ZoSoIV
Unphazed1337 likes this.


FJ CRUISER CUSTOM GRILLE BADGE HEADQUARTERS & STORE:

www.thegrillebadgestore.com

Visit A Great Facebook Page For FJ Cruiser: https://www.facebook.com/groups/fjcruisernation/

Visit The Badge Page On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thegrillebadgestore/
INDYFJCRUISERS is offline  
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar
 
Offroad94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Posts: 2,132
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Re: Stereo Setup Help

Also saw some reviews on amazon of fjers using this kit with aftermarket stereos to retain the steering wheel buttons: http://www.amazon.com/Metra-70-8114-...ct_top?ie=UTF8 Stupid question but does it retain the factory microphone or will I need the aftermarket mic? The guy I bought the head unit from had it in a Nissan and this is what the wiring looks like : Should I just spend $5 and get a new harness for it? I don't need the black box wire as it seems its for hacking the system to play video while I'm driving

Last edited by Offroad94; 10-31-2015 at 01:13 PM.
Offroad94 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 02:47 PM
Forum Superstar
 
ZoSoIV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Indianapolis,IN
Posts: 4,274
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Re: Stereo Setup Help

Yeah the Metra steering wheel control is the way to go , best on the market

I would go a different route on speaker setup 6x9s (3 ways) in the front doors is good however you're much better off with tweeters only in the dash .... You don't need back speakers so with a sub you can run the complete system with one 5 channel amp

You need more power than just the headunit to run a front stage system correctly , Alpine make a 4 channel power pack that works wonders then all you would need is a mono amp for the sub so that another option

Let me look over the speakers/amps you looking at or have and get back with you , I pretty sure we can come up with a better speaker for less or the same money

ZoSoIV is offline  
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar
 
Offroad94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Posts: 2,132
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
ZoSoIV previously said: View Post
Yeah the Metra steering wheel control is the way to go , best on the market

I would go a different route on speaker setup 6x9s (3 ways) in the front doors is good however you're much better off with tweeters only in the dash .... You don't need back speakers so with a sub you can run the complete system with one 5 channel amp

You need more power than just the headunit to run a front stage system correctly , Alpine make a 4 channel power pack that works wonders then all you would need is a mono amp for the sub so that another option

Let me look over the speakers/amps you looking at or have and get back with you , I pretty sure we can come up with a better speaker for less or the same money
Okay sweet thanks for your help. I have not much experience when it comes to speakers. I don't even know the difference between a 3 way and 5 way speaker
Offroad94 is offline  
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 04:33 PM
Forum Superstar
 
ZoSoIV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Indianapolis,IN
Posts: 4,274
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Re: Stereo Setup Help

So you don't have anything but the head-unit correct? And about what is your budget?

Last edited by ZoSoIV; 10-31-2015 at 04:37 PM.
ZoSoIV is offline  
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar
 
Offroad94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Posts: 2,132
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
ZoSoIV previously said: View Post
So you don't have anything but the head-unit correct? And about what is your budget?
Correct, I'm trying to keep it under 500 for the amp and speakers. The sub with box is 100. I'm just gunna run the same kit I had for the amp install I think it was schose and $35
Offroad94 is offline  
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 08:21 PM
Forum Superstar
 
ZoSoIV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Indianapolis,IN
Posts: 4,274
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Re: Stereo Setup Help

I like the build quality better on these JBL and great reviews, Pioneers your looking at are ok though, NO on those 5 ways, they run super bright and are fatiguing to listen to

Amazon.com : JBL GTO938 6 x 9-Inch 3-Way Loudspeaker : Vehicle Speakers : Car Electronics

tweeters


Pioneer TS-T110 7/8" poly dome tweeters at Crutchfield.com

Alpine power pack amp

Amazon.com : Alpine KTP-445U 4-channel Power Pack Amplifier : Vehicle Multi Channel Amplifiers : Car Electronics

would run the 6x9s and the tweeters excellent

sub amp , Kicker

Kicker 12CX300.1 Mono subwoofer amplifier — 300 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms at Crutchfield.com

any reason you want a shallow mount sub? ,I'm not liking that Pioneer sub , lets think about this? everything else is great and would fit your budget

as far as one amp this 5 channel kicker is in the Budget , but option one i listed about would be less expensive, the Pioneer amp isn't around anymore

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_2062CX6...12CX600-5.html


Last edited by ZoSoIV; 10-31-2015 at 08:28 PM.
ZoSoIV is offline  
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Forum Superstar
 
Offroad94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Posts: 2,132
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
ZoSoIV previously said: View Post
I like the build quality better on these JBL and great reviews, Pioneers your looking at are ok though, NO on those 5 ways, they run super bright and are fatiguing to listen to

Amazon.com : JBL GTO938 6 x 9-Inch 3-Way Loudspeaker : Vehicle Speakers : Car Electronics

tweeters


Pioneer TS-T110 7/8" poly dome tweeters at Crutchfield.com

Alpine power pack amp

Amazon.com : Alpine KTP-445U 4-channel Power Pack Amplifier : Vehicle Multi Channel Amplifiers : Car Electronics

would run the 6x9s and the tweeters excellent

sub amp , Kicker

Kicker 12CX300.1 Mono subwoofer amplifier — 300 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms at Crutchfield.com

any reason you want a shallow mount sub? ,I'm not liking that Pioneer sub , lets think about this? everything else is great and would fit your budget

as far as one amp this 5 channel kicker is in the Budget , but option one i listed about would be less expensive, the Pioneer amp isn't around anymore

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_2062CX6...12CX600-5.html
Awesome Thanks for the help. I would of not figured out any of those. I'm liking that little alpine amp to run the tweeters in the dash and door speakers. The reason I was doing a shallow mount sub was I have to add it to the end of my mpac side rack and have some stuff mounted on the other half. The box I'm using is a 10x10x3 and comes to .17 cu ft. If you know of a better shallow let me know that one was just the first to pop up on amazon and had a decent star rating.
Offroad94 is offline  
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 10:55 PM
Forum Master
 
Serenity Now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 1,386
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Garage
Re: Stereo Setup Help

Quote:
Offroad94 previously said: View Post
I have not much experience when it comes to speakers. I don't even know the difference between a 3 way and 5 way speaker
Lol, 2-ways, duh

As above, "5-way" speaker are a joke, and a cheap gimmick to impress the unwary. You should never need more than 3 "ways" for any speaker, home or car stereo. The "ways" are just using different speakers for different portions of the audible spectrum.

Steve in MN, sponsored by Blue Sun Corporation
2010 FJ, now with exciting grill and shifter knob mods

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
Serenity Now is offline  
Reply

  Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome