Two-In-One new tint and homelink in Swiss overhead console :D - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Two-In-One new tint and homelink in Swiss overhead console :D

I finally got around to putting a rolling code Homelink transmitter in my SwissArmySUV overhead console and I really like how it turned out. None of it was hard, only a 12v and ground to wire up. I went with 20% tint on the front doors and 5% on all the rear windows. Installation wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. It's not a professional job but there are no wrinkles or bubbles and I'm happy with the results. If anyone wants advice on how to do the overhead console mod just let me know. It takes a steady hand and patience to get the holes trimmed right but other than that it's easy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 10:13 PM
Forum Regular

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Re: Two-In-One new tint and homelink in Swiss overhead console :D

Nice job. I did something similar except I wired separate switches to the HomeLink circuit board and mounted the switches to the rear of the console. (I bought the console with the closed rear face)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
rwerth7 previously said: View Post
Nice job. I did something similar except I wired separate switches to the HomeLink circuit board and mounted the switches to the rear of the console. (I bought the console with the closed rear face)
The face is closed on mine too. I'd like to see what you did with separate switches? That was the route I wanted to go but I couldn't find the momentary switches I was looking for so I just used the oval buttons from the Homelink.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 11:36 AM
Forum Veteran

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Where did you get the homelink? model, brand, where you bought it type stuff. I'm also looking for one.

4x4 : Black Diamond : 2008
Harley-Davidson edition FJ Build link
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 01:29 PM
Forum Master

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to USMC_Sgt

Quote:
easelman previously said: View Post
Where did you get the homelink? model, brand, where you bought it type stuff. I'm also looking for one.
x2 on that...

USMC_Sgt
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Voodoo Blue 4x4 AT
USMC Sgt's Blue Raider Build Page

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.
-Winston Churchill
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

It was eBay item #270211440061. This Homelink is the rolling code and also has the memo function which I felt useless, so I just cut the buttons off and put the homelink in there. It was more expensive than I recalled, lol, imagine that, but still cheaper than the individual units that you see going for about $50 on eBay. The module is really seated in the visor and the easiest thing to do is cut all the way through around the perimeter of the unit and take it all the way out, then cut a diagonal at each corner and work the plastic off that way. I used the snap on cover as a template for the holes and a Dremel to cut them out. The holes have to be maybe .5mm bigger on each side so the buttons can move freely.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 10:16 PM
Forum Regular

Quote:
fj_tonka_toy09 previously said: View Post
The face is closed on mine too. I'd like to see what you did with separate switches? That was the route I wanted to go but I couldn't find the momentary switches I was looking for so I just used the oval buttons from the Homelink.

I used the Homelink module from a 02 Cadillac (off of E-bay) with rolling codes. The existing buttons are on a separate circuit board from the main circuit board which provided more flexibilty with the install. I soldered extra wires to the circuit board to run separate switches and a LED which are mounted on the back of the fog light console. The switches are round momentary rocker switches (normally open) which are available online. Biggest issue for me was wiring to the circuit board becasue of the small space. After I soldered the wires I covered the front and back of the circuit board with hot glue to insulate the wires as well as to give more integrety to the solder connections. The hot glue made all the difference.

Following are a couple of pics. Pink wires are the hot lead to each of the add on rocker switches. Wires at the bottom connect to the other terminal of each rocker switch (one wire per switch). Wires at the top are for the LED.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 10:18 PM
Forum Regular

Here are the pics
Attached Images

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
rwerth7 previously said: View Post
Here are the pics
Nice, I got mine for like $37 shipped. Every time I tried to bid on anything it went for like $50. It's nice that you had a circuit board to wire to for a few more options.

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in