EGO Flash Bluetooth Installed - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Stereo / Electronics / Electrical If you have a topic that deals with the electronic components, stereo, etc. then post it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
EGO Flash Bluetooth Installed

Since cellular handset use will be illegal on 7/1 here in CA I decided to get a full bluetooth integration in my car. Yesterday I installed the EGO Flash Bluetooth unit. It's by Raytel Funkwerk of Germany. I considered the Parrot 3200LS but the Flash was recommended by the shop I go to as they just started carrying the EGO line and installed it in their own cars. My Alpine CDA-9886 is bluetooth ready but the Motorola built Alpine bluetooth unit was universally slammed on review sites for echo and iPod interference.

I got it for the text msg capability, super clean design and reviewed quality.

You can find out more at EGO FLASH*-*EGO Multimedia Bluetooth Hands-Free Car Kits

I installed the control display unit at the 2 o'clock position from the steering wheel to allow for one touch operation while driving and the mic is on the steering column in front of the speedo. Sorry no install pics as the aftermarket headunit does require splicing of wires via wiring diagram. I believe harnesses to factory stereos are available.

The EGO Flash is integrated into my Alpine CDA-9886 so incoming and outgoing calls mute the stereo and allow for calls through the car speakers. The headunit displays 'Interrupt'.

I tested by calling under different conditions. Windows open on the freeway sounded horrible according to people on the other end. But windows up, people commented on how impressively clear I sounded without hint of echo...one even said our mutual buddy with OEM bluetooth in his BMW M3 sounded much worse than I did. Calls on my end were clear with sound coming from the right side speakers. My friend even told me that I didn't have to talk so loudly, the mic was picking me up just fine.

The downside to the unit are:
1. The clean interface actually makes the buttons kind of hard to use, you kind of have to press down with some effort.
2. Not all phones are compatible. Please check their site for the compatibility list. My Samsung Blackjack will work for calls but phonebook upload and SMS text msg features do not work with the Flash. Not a big deal as I will be switching phones next month anyways.
3. Installation documentation was lacking. The included wiring diagram in the box did not match the wiring diagram on the website. I think it's growing pains of a company just starting business in the US.

The bottom line for me is that the sound quality and the ability to carry on a conversation without a lot of "what?" and having what I think is a clean simple interface/installation makes this a worthwhile option for anyone considering bluetooth in their car.

Last edited by jimster716; 05-18-2008 at 12:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 12:45 PM

Re: EGO Flash Bluetooth Installed

Nice writeup. And thanks for the info. I'm not too knowledgeable about Bluetooth interfaces, so this is great info to have.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

No problem, my pleasure. I'm a newer member but I'd like to contribute as much info as I get from the forum.

I mentioned how the EGO Flash doesn't support all phones. Here is the manufacturer's list of supported phones for the time being.

http://www.egohandsfree.com/dmdocume...oth-Phones.pdf

I was able to manually "beam" or upload my contacts into the Flash unit via VCard function in my phone. I did have to do it one at a time since the unit doesn't support full list uploads from my Blackjack phone.

On another note: the voice calling works very well. I have the feeling I will be using that more than phonebook dialing. I just press the green lit button for 2 seconds and it voice prompts me. I say, "Call <contact name>" and it handles the rest.

It can also record calls in case someone on the other end gives you a phone number or address so you don't have to write it down.

I'm really impressed with this unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 10:47 AM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)

Quote:
jimster716 previously said: View Post
No problem, my pleasure. I'm a newer member but I'd like to contribute as much info as I get from the forum.

I mentioned how the EGO Flash doesn't support all phones. Here is the manufacturer's list of supported phones for the time being.

http://www.egohandsfree.com/dmdocume...oth-Phones.pdf

I was able to manually "beam" or upload my contacts into the Flash unit via VCard function in my phone. I did have to do it one at a time since the unit doesn't support full list uploads from my Blackjack phone.

On another note: the voice calling works very well. I have the feeling I will be using that more than phonebook dialing. I just press the green lit button for 2 seconds and it voice prompts me. I say, "Call <contact name>" and it handles the rest.

It can also record calls in case someone on the other end gives you a phone number or address so you don't have to write it down.

I'm really impressed with this unit.
Nice write-up. Can you use it as a recording device for voice notes on the road?

Steve
TLCA 14294
KJ6DAA

http://1971fj40.blogspot.com/

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true."
Demosthenes c.383-322 BC
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)

Quote:
sonof40 previously said: View Post
Nice write-up. Can you use it as a recording device for voice notes on the road?
Yes, there is a dedicated Dictation button in the menu. This from the manual:

The dictation function allows you to record voice messages. This function is especially useful while driving, when the user does not have paper and pen handy. The user now has the possibility to store important information as a voice message. To do so, the "New recording" item is selected and confirmed with the >|| key. Once the recording is ended by the user manually, it is stored in the list for retrieval. If the space for storing the recordings become full, this is signaled. It then becomes possible to record again only after old recordings have been deleted.

Listen:
To listen to a recording, search for the corresponding recording, and press the >|| key. The recording is played for the user.

Delete:
If a recording is to be deleted, select the recording to be deleted, press the >||, and go to the "Delete" item. By pressing >||, the recording is deleted.

For some reason, the Dictation button is grayed out on my menu. I'm wondering if it's because it uses the phone to store messages and maybe my phone doesn't support that. I'm going to ask the US distributor if that is the case. I'll let you know.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Forum Superstar

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)

Quote:
jimster716 previously said: View Post
For some reason, the Dictation button is grayed out on my menu. I'm wondering if it's because it uses the phone to store messages and maybe my phone doesn't support that. I'm going to ask the US distributor if that is the case. I'll let you know.
That will be good to know. Thanks.
Also, sorta unrelated but does anyone know if the EGO will work with the Kenwood DNX7100? Or do I have to use the KCA-BT200 that Kenwood makes?

Steve
TLCA 14294
KJ6DAA

http://1971fj40.blogspot.com/

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true."
Demosthenes c.383-322 BC

Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum > Toyota FJ Cruiser Discussion > Stereo / Electronics / Electrical

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in